It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Story About Cats & Go (Update: Episode 2)
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
Note: I got the inspiration for a story like this from a post made on this very site. Hope you like it. It is meant to be a parody, funny, and light-hearted.

A Story About Cats & Go
Episode 1: A Surprise
By: Christopher Goss

"And what a surprise we have for you in the 67th edition of the Honineko (Honinbo) Title Match," exclaimed Oreo excitedly. "For the first time in history, two kittens have reached the Finals! The previous champion is currently ill and has forfeited his title. So, we have Felix and Larry! These two are relative newbies to the pro scene, but they're currently battling for the biggest title in the country!"

"Yes Oreo, this is going to be a fascinating match," said Oreo's co-commentator, Fudge. "But would you please sit down and quit giving yourself a bath? You're shedding and getting your fur all over me!"

"Sorry, sorry," Oreo said, sitting down, and wrapping his tail around himself. "Oh how I do get overexcited at these games!" Oreo and Fudge were color commentators for professional matches. He was named Oreo because his legs were white and his body was black. His face was a mixture of both colors.

This was a big match up between two large up and coming professional players and were both expected to achieve even greater heights. Felix represented the Angorian Professional Go Association, and Larry represented the Tabby National Go League. Both leagues fought tooth and nail for control over Catopia.

Watching the big match on television was a young Calico by the name of Leo. He was about the same age as the two kittens competing for the title, but he was incredibly weak in comparison. He was only a 1k. The two playing were his best friends.

"And the game has begun," Oreo said, more reserved. "This is Game One of the Honineko Finals. The career tally between these two favors Felix with 10 victories to Larry's 6."

"It should definitely be a good game," added Fudge. Fudge was an all brown cat. He was an older cat who had once dominated the professional Go scene by earning a record setting 460 titles. He retired four years ago. "And Felix opens with the Chinese Opening. This opening has really plagued Larry throughout his lifetime. In professional matches, he is 12-39 against it."

These two were renowned commentators for their ability to constantly churn up fun fact after fun fact.

Watching the television raptly, Leo gulped. This was a huge match and would be the first time these two met face to face for a title. Their faces were so serious, more serious than he'd ever seen them in his life.

Seconds became minutes. Minutes became hours. Leo's heart seemed to pound faster and faster as each stone was played. The stones were smacked smartly against the board, but Leo could already see a look of desparation in the eyes of Felix when it showed his face. The commentators noted that it appeared as if the game was settled already.

Leo's father walked in through the cat door and glanced over at the TV. "Hey son, I was just watching this in the pub. Looks like Felix lost Game 1."

Leo nodded, "yes it does. It's surprising considering he usually doesn't do well against the Chinese Opening."

His father was a Calico like Leo, but obviously much older. He also had a small part of his ear missing. But how that had happened, Leo had never been told.

His father gave Leo a look. "When are you going to take Go seriously? It's our national pastime. Your brother-"

"Stop," Leo nearly shrieked. He was sick and tired of always being compared to his brother. His brother had turned professional just last year, and was already in the Honineko League. The small town of Lion Paw was immensely proud of him. His friends who were currently battling for that very title were from the city next to theirs.

His father didn't say another word about it.

"And Felix launches a daring assault on Larry's top left group!" Oreo was standing on all four paws, eyes wide. "From my reading, I don't think this will work!"

"Oreo, for the love of Egypt, please sit down."

Oreo sat down again, apologizing profusely.

"Anyway," Fudge sighed, "this is a doomed effort. Felix cannot hope to survive there. Indeed. As I thought. Felix has resigned, and that is the game!"

The camera zoomed in on Felix. Felix was a white Angora with really fluffy fur. With his small size, he looked more like a ball of fur than a cat. A look of deep disappointment was on his face.

Leo turned off the television.

"Son," his father began, "I forgot to mention. I signed you up for lessons with Miyo."

Leo spun around, mouth hanging open.

"Miyo? Your tutor? But..." Miyo was also the current Juneko (Judan) title holder.

"Don't worry about it, son. I know you don't like being compared to your brother, but I know you have the passion to become a professional Go player just like him. I won't make you take the lessons, so think about it."

Leo frowned and then thought about the disappointed expression on Felix's face.

"I'll do it."

Last edited by hailthorn011 on Mon May 21, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by hailthorn011 was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Inkwolf

Post subject: Re: A Story About Cats & Go
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
A Story About Cats & Go
Episode 2: The Results Are In!
By: Christopher Goss

A few weeks passed after Game One of the Honineko Finals. The next game would be played tomorrow, but Leo had other things on his mind. Tonight would be the first time that Miyo came to their home to instruct him on how to improve his play.

Leo was sitting on a tree branch looking up into a sky filled with stars. It reminded him of a large Go board, but with only the twinkling stars to serve as the points on the board. And the moon itself might have been the Star Point. Or maybe he was just imagining things.

But he was also afraid. Although Go was the official pastime of Catopia, he had never really had any ambition for the game. His father and his brother were different. Both had turned pro. His father had delighted his hometown fans with brilliant play. He had been the only player to rival the great Fudge, and now he and his brother were expected to do much the same.

"I wonder if I can become a professional player, too...."

"Of course you can!"

The voice nearly made Leo fall out of the tree. He glanced around and then saw Felix climbing up the tree. He seated himself beside Leo, and looked up at the sky.

Leo was a little surprised to see him. "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be preparing for Game 2 of the Honineko Finals?"

Felix laughed, "I should, but I wanted to come here and talk to you. Miyo Juneko told me that he was going to start tutoring you. It surprised me. I didn't think you had any ambition to get better."

Felix and Larry had often been perplexed by Leo's lack of desire to continue getting better. In the amateur league that Leo played in, he had an official 1 Kyu ranking. But they both knew that Leo was far better than that, he just never applied himself.

"I watched your game," Leo muttered, absent-mindedly. "And it really made me realize that....I want to play in games like that, too."

Felix was silent for a long time. Off in the distance an owl hooted. Leo could see the small squares of light that represented the windows of homes near theirs. This tree was pretty tall after all. You could almost see the entirety of Lion Paw from the top, and even further than that was Cheetah Village. That was where Felix played. But it wasn't as if the distance was too long for easy travel.

"My game was somewhat disappointing."

Leo laughed at that, "only somewhat? This is a big series, you should be taking it more seriously."

"Seriously, eh? What would you know about taking Go seriously? You waste the Red King League's time by barely putting in any effort. You perform well enough not to get relegated to League B, but we both know you could be doing a lot better. Explain that."

Now it was Leo's turn to fall silent.

Minutes passed by as the two remained lost in their own trains of thought. But even though their thoughts were on separate tracks, they seemed to be heading to the same station.

"Are you going to turn pro?"

This was the question that had followed Leo around for as long as he could remember. When he went out to eat, was he going to turn pro. When he went to the park, was he going to turn pro. When he went to classes, was he going to turn pro. It was enough to make him want to never lift another stone. Yet he continued playing. And why? Because he loved the game. But he was afraid. No matter what he did, he would forever live in the shadow of his father and his brother.

"I....don't know. I don't think I'm good-"

"Good enough? Ha! I remember when there was a time when you could give me 4 stones and I still couldn't beat you."

"That was then. This is now."

"Sure it is, and that's why you have to live for now. You can't live haunted by the ghosts of yesterday."

Leo blinked. It was scary sometimes. Felix made it seem like he could read Leo's mind sometimes.

"Hey you two, get down here! Miyo Juneko is here!" His father called.

The two of them climbed down from the tree, but Leo was busy absorbing what Felix had just told him.

Felix and Leo's father claimed seats on the couch. Leo and Miyo sat on cushions before the Go board. Leo would be playing with a handicap of 3 stones. Leo wanted to suggest that this wasn't enough, but Miyo refused to listen to him.

"A good Go player isn't afraid to face a challenge," Miyo stated, licking his paw. He then began rubbing his furry ear. He was a brown and white cat. He was only a year older than Leo. "And we both know any more of a handicap is unnecessary."

Leo gulped, and nodded. Then he remembered the game between Felix and Larry, and also what Felix had just told him. He glanced over at Felix, and Felix nodded to him. It was now or never.

An hour had passed while the two played their game. The room was silent except for the klack! of stones being played on the board. And between moves there was only the soft sound of the clock tick-tocking.

"That is enough," Miyo said. His face was impossible to read. "Why are you doing this?"

Leo blinked. "I-I don't understand."

Miyo glared at Leo, his ears flat against his skull.

"You know full well what I am talking about. Why haven't you turned Pro? I have never met a player with as much potential as you. You killed four of my groups and made it look effortless."

"But the handi-"

Miyo hissed, "the handicap is irrelevant here. You don't need lessons from me. You need to learn focus and figure out what you want. 1 Kyu? You're far stronger than that. As a matter of fact, I think you could compete with Felix right now with the same handicap."

Leo's father meowed, "I have told him this. I don't want to pressure him into it though, but I think he could be the next Fudge."

Silence filled the room after that.

Miyo got to his paws and said, "you may do as you wish. But the next time I come here, I expect you to tell me that you're going to be taking the pro exam next fall. And then we can begin proper lessons. You performed well today, but you still have some things to improve upon."

This post by hailthorn011 was liked by: Inkwolf