It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy Learning: Joseki
Post #1 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Here is a review of my 9th book Easy Learning: Joseki published today. It has 196 pages, the contents has ca. one third each josekis, theory and problems. It is intended as a 13 to 1 kyu player's first or second joseki book.

Information:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/EasyLearningJoseki.html
Table of contents:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/EasyLearningJoseki_TOC.pdf
Sample pages:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/EasyLearnin ... Sample.pdf
Review:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/EasyLearnin ... eview.html

Review by the Author

General Specification

* Title: Easy Learning: Joseki
* Author: Robert Jasiek
* Publisher: Robert Jasiek
* Edition: 2014
* Language: English
* Price: EUR 25 (book), EUR 12.50 (PDF)
* Contents: joseki
* ISBN: none
* Printing: good
* Layout: good
* Editing: almost good
* Pages: 196
* Size: 148mm x 210mm
* Diagrams per Page on Average: 6
* Method of Teaching: principles, examples
* Read when EGF: 13k - 1k
* Subjective Rank Improvement: +
* Subjective Topic Coverage: o
* Subjective Aims' Achievement: ++

Introduction

Easy Learning: Joseki offers three kinds of chapters: josekis, theory and problems / answers. The joseki topic is approached from the different angles of tactics, inherent strategic choices, strategic embedding in the global positional context, concepts of go theory and evaluation. The flexible didactics make understanding easy regardless of the reader's preferred style of learning.

The book uses a "one page one topic" style. Only occasionally, a joseki or theoretical topic has two or three pages. Fast understanding of the key ideas is encouraged, while heaps of too many details are avoided.

Since Easy Learning: Joseki explains also theory and offers problems, the book is much more than a selection of josekis: it is a player's ideal first or second joseki book. On the other hand, players overwhelmed by joseki dictionaries or series get their chance to study josekis with fresh motivation.

Josekis

The representative selection of 72 important josekis offers a good balance between a too small random selection and a too comprehensive dictionary. For every joseki, the meaning and tactics of difficult moves are explained. The interesting follow-ups during the middle game or endgame are shown. Discussion includes relevant variations, strategic choices within a joseki or in the global environment, and sample evaluations. When a joseki occurs for the first time as an example in a theory chapter, a subsequent chapter explains the joseki.

Theory

General advice, which can be accompanied by a principle, and applied examples cover the essential aspects of go theory. The 52 topics include everything from the basics, via evaluation and fighting, to strategy. Without losing itself in details, the book answers all the important questions arising during construction of a joseki, for example, how to emphasise, use and assess influence.

Problems

Apart from a number of problems with special tasks checking the reader's understanding, the majority of the 102 problems trains tactical reading ability. Thereby, players learn that strategic decisions rely on tactical verification. There are easy problems for beginners and hard nuts for advanced kyu players.

Conclusion

Easy Learning: Joseki combines a thorough selection of the most important josekis with a broad, but not too detailed, coverage of all relevant go theory and the necessary tactical exercise in problems. The title is the program: learn and understand josekis easily.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: RBerenguel

Post subject: Re: Easy Learning: Joseki
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:41 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Minor question: why you say the editing is "almost good"?

Also, what would you recommend a KGS 3-4k, EGF 8k (Spanish EGF rankings seem weird, I know that): Easy Learning: Joseki or Joseki II: Strategy?

J2:S has been in my "wanted" list for a long while, I almost bought the paperback version last time I was in my local bookshop... But they had only vol1 then (I got GGPFD: Joseki instead) But maybe what I need is closer to EL:J. Unsure.

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
The editing is only "almost" good because a few trivial typos, such as "is is" have been overlooked before the printing.

A KGS 3-4k, EGF 8k can choose between a light work approach (reading Easy Learning: Joseki only) or a heavy work approach (reading my three volume joseki series, maybe a different dictionary or series of dictionaries instead of the major chapter of Joseki 3 Dictionary). Using the light approach, you learn less but have a good chance to really learn it if your schedule is tight or your energy for investing effort is limited. Using the heavy approach, you are determined to invest much effort in order to acquire a mid dan's joseki knowledge already as an SDK.

(The very heavy approach would be to read nothing but detailed dictionaries and reinvent all the wheels by yourself.) If you tried a heavy approach in vain, now switch to a light approach. If so far you have seen nothing about joseki or little else than a small selection, such as 38 Basic Joseki, then Easy Learning: Joseki is perfect for continuing in a light manner and learning more josekis and also the necessary basics of theory.

Both Joseki 2 Strategy or Easy Learning: Joseki are very good for you, but they differ very much in style: The former is the model of heavy learning for those who also read some dictionary, prefer theory to examples and can learn much knowledge quickly. The latter is for relaxed learning; one topic at a time with just as much contents as can be remembered with a moderate amount of effort.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Thanks Robert! Much appreciated answer. I have to think about it: I can learn a lot of knowledge fast, the problem is that unless I apply it quickly it fades into the "known but not in use" area of my brain (so before using it again I need to quickly skim over the material to refresh it), so the best is probably EL:J. Would also fit better with my approach with joseki... which is so far skimming 38 basic joseki, trying problems from Get Strong at Joseki 1 (and always leaving it alone!) and some other from the Graded for Dans (which somehow I solve more easily than the Get Strong ones!).