It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Reviews here, reviews elsewhere...
Post #121 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
tapir wrote:
* Add links to the original reviews, even when taken with permission this is helpful. This gives some perspective and also reveals which reviews are genuinely contributed on gobooks.nemir.org (that is merit to be linked to from elsewhere, gobooks is not the only aggregating site after all).
* Write at least once "Nemir" in the introduction instead of only I.

I think this would just clutter the site. Listing the reviewer's rank gives me all the perspective I need.

Quote:
* Some indication for which books you have reviews for which you have not - given before you click your way through to the review section of the individual book.

browse>titles with reviews

Post #122 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Where are we talking about adding external links?

Here's a sample review: http://gobooks.nemir.org/books/k10.html. Since there's already a URL, I conclude that adding a link would not create clutter. I think that's a necessary courtesy on the web.

There's also the main reviews page: http://gobooks.nemir.org/browse/reviewed.html. I think adding external links there would be confusing.

Is there some third place?

Post #123 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:27 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
nemir wrote:
And on a different tack... who do I contact here to obtain permission to republish reviews here? Who can I contact to try to arrange for permission to republish the BGA reviews?

According to the BGA Help Page (at the bottom bottom):
"The BGA retains copyright for all items published on its site, except when copyright is retained by authors
• Links to items within this website are permitted without any notification.
• Articles and photos may be reproduced for the purpose of promoting Go and not for profit, providing that the British Go Association website is attributed as the source, together with a link to the originating material, and the permission of the webmaster (webmaster@britgo.org) has been sought and obtained in writing in advance."

Post #124 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
nemir wrote:

There were other little things that all added up to being increasingly demoralising. I've received only 2 unsolicited reviews in the 5 years since the site went live. Anywhere I'd mention it people would just seem to talk louder about David's site. Or places like GD or SL. Mentioning it in KGS would get me spanked for advertising, despite the fact that I don't sell anything or in any way make money from this site. I don't even have banner ads. Keeping up with titles can be difficult.

What is missing from http://gobooks.nemir.org to make it work better as a resource for the go community?

What can I do to make it better?

I remember when this site started up, and I usually preferred it to the others available (especially when the more established sites were seemingly no longer being maintained), but I could never remember the name of the site, which in turn made it difficult to search for.

Post #125 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:34 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
hyperpape wrote:
Where are we talking about adding external links?

Here's a sample review: http://gobooks.nemir.org/books/k10.html. Since there's already a URL, I conclude that adding a link would not create clutter. I think that's a necessary courtesy on the web.

There's also the main reviews page: http://gobooks.nemir.org/browse/reviewed.html. I think adding external links there would be confusing.

Is there some third place?

I was referring to individual book pages. Nemir has permission to add full text from some sources, still I believe a link to the original place would add value (if only to know which material is genuine to his page). Second, sometimes when no permission is available a link is still possible and useful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7