It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Player strength range?
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:50 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
Hello all,

I was just wondering what the player strength range was on Kaya. I'm a fairly weak player and I've been interested in checking out Kaya for some time but I'm not sure how good it would be for me or the other players on Kaya if everyone was much higher level than me. I believe I'm around KGS 18-16 kyu but haven't solidified a rank yet because life has been crazy busy for me the past couple of months.

That being said, Kaya looks pretty cool and I'd love to do my part to make sure the project goes to completion. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Player strength range?
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
spamthachb wrote:
Hello all,

I was just wondering what the player strength range was on Kaya. I'm a fairly weak player and I've been interested in checking out Kaya for some time but I'm not sure how good it would be for me or the other players on Kaya if everyone was much higher level than me. I believe I'm around KGS 18-16 kyu but haven't solidified a rank yet because life has been crazy busy for me the past couple of months.

That being said, Kaya looks pretty cool and I'd love to do my part to make sure the project goes to completion. Any thoughts?

Hey spamthachb. There are several players below 10k around in the server.

There is no much sense in talking about the strengh range, as there are now only 320 users, and they are not always online. So finding opponents requires some patience.
Xatu might want to take up to your challenge though (He is reading this, im sure).

As we open more accounts, and get prepared for a full scale launch, there will be more players in all categories, however until then you will need some patience :).

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
I have asked myself this question: "Why have I not paid thirty-five dollars to support Kaya.gs and gain access to the alpha server?"

After all, Kaya.gs is promising many things that I'd dearly like to see on a Go server. I want in. (Quick list: Fischer time, in-browser, hopefully over HTTP on port 80 or 443 so that firewalls aren't a problem, sensible rating system...)

The first part of the answer is personal: money is tight right now and I already have two servers to play Go on. (IGS and KGS)

The real answer is that, like the thread starter, I don't know if I'll find people to play against on the alpha server. That doubt could be addressed without much effort. All Kaya.gs needs to do is publish an activity chart showing activity levels on the server at different times during the day for different bands of players.

Think of a chart with number of players on the vertical axis, time of day on the horizontal and three lines representing dan players, single-digit kyus and double-digit kyus respectively. The chart could be generated from logs for the past month.

I think this could be a really good marketing tool and I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would sign up if they could see that players in their band were online at the times they usually play.

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 108
Universal go server handle: Sigilus
I'm probably in the 10-15k range, and I've seen others as well. I think like the guys say, when the server goes open there will be a lot of variety.

Post #5 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:44 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
Charlie wrote:
I have asked myself this question: "Why have I not paid thirty-five dollars to support Kaya.gs and gain access to the alpha server?"

After all, Kaya.gs is promising many things that I'd dearly like to see on a Go server. I want in. (Quick list: Fischer time, in-browser, hopefully over HTTP on port 80 or 443 so that firewalls aren't a problem, sensible rating system...)

The first part of the answer is personal: money is tight right now and I already have two servers to play Go on. (IGS and KGS)

The real answer is that, like the thread starter, I don't know if I'll find people to play against on the alpha server. That doubt could be addressed without much effort. All Kaya.gs needs to do is publish an activity chart showing activity levels on the server at different times during the day for different bands of players.

Think of a chart with number of players on the vertical axis, time of day on the horizontal and three lines representing dan players, single-digit kyus and double-digit kyus respectively. The chart could be generated from logs for the past month.

I think this could be a really good marketing tool and I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would sign up if they could see that players in their band were online at the times they usually play.

Althought the alpha server will always be more about testing out the newest features and code, and because of that being "optimal to play" is not the objective, your idea is neat for when we do the open beta.

Add it to uservoice! im sure you will get some votes and we should do something like this anyway.

This post by Kaya.gs was liked by: Bonobo