Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
Kaya.gs wrote:
Archivist wrote:
kill <=> preserve

cut <=> connect

Those arent styles..they are actions.

and sabaki is a skill, not a style. what is your point? most of what has been suggested so far is just an extension of moyo vs territory

Post subject: Re: Player styles
Post #22 Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 16
KGS: danielm
Kaya.gs wrote:
knowledgeable(wisdomy?) - intuitive

If you are referring to this kind of division, then I would go with something like "analytical - intuitive", because an intuitive approach definitely requires a lot of knowledge. I just see it as a different way of processing that knowledge, focusing more on intuitive pattern recognition than scientific analysis.

Then again this is more of an approach to learning the game rather than a concrete playing style (how does it manifest itself on the board?), so perhaps you are referring to something else.

Post #23 Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
danielm wrote:
Kaya.gs wrote:
knowledgeable(wisdomy?) - intuitive

If you are referring to this kind of division, then I would go with something like "analytical - intuitive", because an intuitive approach definitely requires a lot of knowledge. I just see it as a different way of processing that knowledge, focusing more on intuitive pattern recognition than scientific analysis.

Then again this is more of an approach to learning the game rather than a concrete playing style (how does it manifest itself on the board?), so perhaps you are referring to something else.

I like analytical, definitely goes in there.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 31
GD Posts: 417
KGS: badukboris
By the book, Improvised

Post #25 Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:32 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
I think passive and aggressive can both have negative connotations too (particularly the former, which often has a positive connotation opposite of "calm") - I would instead have something like "traits", which can be graded on a scale.

1) Solid -> Quick .. For example, regarding speed of development through the fuseki
2) Light -> Thick .. For example, regarding middle game development

That way, a player can receive votes from an opponent at the end of the game (or whatever the purpose of it was), either with just "balanced" in the middle of whatever traits are used, or marked on a scale if that's used. That way the scores can be recorded for an amusing insta-assessment of the player.

However, I may consider an opponent to be a solid thick player who plays a lot of honte, _but it was only because he took an early lead and was maintaining it_ - had I got off to a great start he might have played like a crazy kamikaze assassin. I'm unsure how easy it would be to make great use of such judgements, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't still be fun to have in the system :)

Post #26 Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
topazg wrote:
I think passive and aggressive can both have negative connotations too (particularly the former, which often has a positive connotation opposite of "calm") - I would instead have something like "traits", which can be graded on a scale.

1) Solid -> Quick .. For example, regarding speed of development through the fuseki
2) Light -> Thick .. For example, regarding middle game development

That way, a player can receive votes from an opponent at the end of the game (or whatever the purpose of it was), either with just "balanced" in the middle of whatever traits are used, or marked on a scale if that's used. That way the scores can be recorded for an amusing insta-assessment of the player.

However, I may consider an opponent to be a solid thick player who plays a lot of honte, _but it was only because he took an early lead and was maintaining it_ - had I got off to a great start he might have played like a crazy kamikaze assassin. I'm unsure how easy it would be to make great use of such judgements, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't still be fun to have in the system :)

You got what we are trying to do quickly :). I agree that passive/agressive has connotation, in fact i believe both words depict a weakness. Calm/Quarrelsome might be more suited.