It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bug report
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:58 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Yukontodd
Online playing schedule: Find me on OGS these days.
I didn't have issues connecting before, but I do now. I'm unsure, but it may have started after the last update to Java. I don't remember seeing the gospeed button before either, so it may be whichever update included that.

I run up to date chrome under windows 7. I am logged in, and see the interface, but the fields contain no data (no chat, game lists, etc.) The widget doesn't slide, and seems to give a javascript error. Inbox and logout buttons work fine. Not sure what gospeed button is supposed to do, but it seems to function and gives me a board with an option to load sgfs.

I hope here's a good spot for a bug report.

Post subject: Re: bug report
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:01 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
Yukontodd wrote:
I didn't have issues connecting before, but I do now. I'm unsure, but it may have started after the last update to Java. I don't remember seeing the gospeed button before either, so it may be whichever update included that.

I run up to date chrome under windows 7. I am logged in, and see the interface, but the fields contain no data (no chat, game lists, etc.) The widget doesn't slide, and seems to give a javascript error. Inbox and logout buttons work fine. Not sure what gospeed button is supposed to do, but it seems to function and gives me a board with an option to load sgfs.

I hope here's a good spot for a bug report.

Use the tweaki or contact conanbatt on the server for bug reports. L19 is not the place to do technical support.

And there is no java on kaya.gs.

You are having a classical connection issue. Did you read the FAQ?

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Kaya.gs wrote:
Use the tweaki or contact conanbatt on the server for bug reports.

Not so easy if he's not connected to the server ;)

The faq is here: http://beta.kaya.gs/faq
If you scroll down to the bottom, there is information on troubleshooting.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:32 am 
Dies in gote

I read the FAQ a while back when I first joined. Not having connectivity issues, I guess I missed the fact that there was anything pertinent there. I thought the fact that I could connect before but can't now might be something you'd like to hear about anyway.

Tweaki says it's for minor issues and suggestions. This struck me as something possibly more important. Besides I don't know tweaki. I do know how to use these forums. I don't feel like messing with tweaki to inform you that you might have cut some users off from your server.

This forum is lovely for bug reports and technical support. It's the first place I looked to see if someone else was having a similar problem before reporting it myself. I'll continue to look for information here in the future, too. In development of his client and server, I seem to remember wms made quite a bit of use of sensei's library, seeing it was the place to talk to interested people at the time: the people he wanted to talk with were already there. This is just such a place at this time: a place where a there's a bunch of people already subscribing or periodically reading who are interested in your project/product. Don't be afraid to use it.

If it is simply a tech support issue, point me in the right direction for my answer so other folks in the forum with a new connectivity problem know it isn't a bug you need to hear about.

Basically what I'm saying: use this forum more! Isn't that what it's here for?

Best of luck, I'm pulling for you!

Post #5 Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 am 
Dies in gote

Yeah, it seems I can't use tweaki. I tried pressing a few buttons. Yes, I CAN still read the faq. But the faq doesn't help. I mentioned in my first post, I use up to date chrome and windows 7. My firewall is windows firewall, and it hasn't started choking on anything new; I tried shutting it off just to see, but it made no difference. I doubt I'm the only person with this issue.

Anyway, I mean only to be helpful, not demanding. I'll go screw off until you're out of beta, if you don't actually want feedback.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Have you already tried another browser?

Post #7 Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 am 
Lives with ko

Yukontodd wrote:
Yeah, it seems I can't use tweaki. I tried pressing a few buttons. Yes, I CAN still read the faq. But the faq doesn't help. I mentioned in my first post, I use up to date chrome and windows 7. My firewall is windows firewall, and it hasn't started choking on anything new; I tried shutting it off just to see, but it made no difference. I doubt I'm the only person with this issue.

Anyway, I mean only to be helpful, not demanding. I'll go screw off until you're out of beta, if you don't actually want feedback.

Run the diagnostics the http://beta.kaya.gs/faq links and send them to info@kaya.gs.

Without information i cant tell whats happening with you, so please follow the steps detailed at the FAQ.

After that, if i dont see anything wrong with your computer as a result from that information, send me an email at some point during the day, and ill set up a chat so i can run some other diagnostics on whats happening to you.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 pm 
Dies in gote

karaklis wrote:

You're spot on, btw. It doesn't seem to run on chrome. At least, not on my chrome. Firefox has it working fine. Maybe I'll tweaki it.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Yukontodd wrote:
karaklis wrote:

You're spot on, btw. It doesn't seem to run on chrome. At least, not on my chrome. Firefox has it working fine. Maybe I'll tweaki it.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Chrome.

Post subject: Chrome Connections Fix!
Post #10 Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 am 
Dies in gote

This seems to be related to a known Chrome issue. This simple fix worked for me, once I found it.

Click the wrench, and click on settings. Show advanced settings, then under Network click on proxy (I know, you don't have a proxy, but it doesn't matter.) Click the LAN settings button on the internet properties "connections" tab. Automatically Detect Settings is checked: deselect it. Reboot. It's what worked for me, I hope it works for you too.

Post subject: Re: Chrome Connections Fix!
Post #11 Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:07 am 
Lives with ko

Yukontodd wrote:
This seems to be related to a known Chrome issue. This simple fix worked for me, once I found it.

Click the wrench, and click on settings. Show advanced settings, then under Network click on proxy (I know, you don't have a proxy, but it doesn't matter.) Click the LAN settings button on the internet properties "connections" tab. Automatically Detect Settings is checked: deselect it. Reboot. It's what worked for me, I hope it works for you too.

Interesting, didnt know this could be a solution. However, on 1.7 i added a "Safe Connection" setting on user profiles, which should be able to let users that have permanent connection issues to connect properly.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 21
DGS: XiaoTuzi
Universal go server handle: Kanin
Okay, so a few days ago when I was on Kaya there was a message saying something about a server update. Then Kaya stopped working, I guess you guys were updating to a new version or something. Now I can't connect to Kaya via Chrome or FF. The only thing that comes up is the different empty fields, and the links in the top bar. I can click the links but on those pages it's the same, just empty fields. The status in the lower right is empty too. In Chrome there is a green padlock next to the omnibox and when I hover it it says my connection to Kaya is encrytped. Any ideas on how to get back on the server?

EDIT: Also, I ran the diagnostics for web sockets and ticked in all the boxes, so no problem there. Also tried it on different networks. Same problem always.

Last edited by Kanin on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Same here. Looks broken to me.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:45 pm 
Lives with ko

There are 2 separate topics that caused a lot of unstability on 1.7:

1) Switching to https: it brought several unexpected side-effects and issues and we've been knocking them done one by one.

2) Cache: A server switch we did a few weeks back made the cache more agressive on the client side, which in turn made many people have mixed version code. When that happens the site will likely not load properly and you cant connect. It could be fixed with Ctrl+F5(which clears page cache) most of the time.

Today we made a mid-release 1.7.1 addressing issues on both topics, specially the second one. If you had issues since friday, try logging in to Kaya again.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Kaya.gs wrote:

1) Switching to https: it brought several unexpected side-effects and issues and we've been knocking them done one by one.

What benefit do you expect SSL to bring Kaya either than larger headaches? :S

Post #16 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:46 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
topazg wrote:
Kaya.gs wrote:

Not sure if Kaya are planning to use websockets, but if they are, the impression I get is that they don't work very well unless you are using SSL. Something to do with proxies causing undesirable caching, which the encryption seems to sort out: http://www.infoq.com/articles/Web-Sockets-Proxy-Servers

Post #17 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 am 
Lives with ko

topazg wrote:
Kaya.gs wrote:

SSL is rather important for login/sensitive data pages like Log in. Using a public network someone could eavesdrop and steal your password.
Its not a problem if they log in to kaya as you, but it is if they log in to your paypal account for example.

It was easier for me to set up the whole site on ssl than just a few pages so i went ahead and did the whole thing. But i am considering moving ssl only to the sensitive pages. The problem is that cookies also stop being secure if you move from https to http.

After 1.7.1 i really suspect most issues had to do more about the second than the first, as i already fixed the really major problem #1 caused.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Kaya.gs wrote:
But i am considering moving ssl only to the sensitive pages.

Why would you want to do this? This usually causes browser warnings and/or broken padlock icons.

Reasons I'm aware of include clients often/never caching ssl-served data, and imposing a compression load on the server. Is it one of these, or something else?

Not sure the relevance of the Paypal concern? Is Kaya passing through Paypal userid/passwords to the Paypal site?