It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it just me, or is Kaya.gs sparsely populated?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
I can't find anyone around my rank, any open games which aren't bots. Am I looking in the wrong places or are there just not that many people?

Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is Kaya.gs sparsely populated?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
I suspect it's at least partly related to the reason for the discussion (along with Gabriel's responses) starting at viewtopic.php?p=113936#p113936

Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:15 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 12
I'd think a major reason is that a big part of the players are not using Kaya as their main go server yet.
Like me, they're checking Kaya out, but not (yet) playing many games there, falling back to their main server while waiting for the client to finish the beta stage.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
walpurgis wrote:
I'd think a major reason is that a big part of the players are not using Kaya as their main go server yet.
Like me, they're checking Kaya out, but not (yet) playing many games there, falling back to their main server while waiting for the client to finish the beta stage.

It's non-public server yet and so not too much players. I think it will change later. I think it will gain a lot of attention when fully opened.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:55 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
If there have been over 1000 beta accounts given out, you might expect a few more people?
Or have the account nappers taken most of them...

Post #6 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:56 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Well, since the account releases are no longer running out immediately, it's a lot closer to being a public server than you might think.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
Kaya is in beta. It is still under development. The only reason it has users is for testing and feedback.

It seems natural that it is sparsely populated. Who knows what Kaya will look like when it passes the beta stage.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:25 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I think given how many accounts have been made available, and the fact that they're no longer going immediately, I'd be worried. It may not be "public", but it's not so hard to get an account anymore.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
hyperpape wrote:
I think given how many accounts have been made available, and the fact that they're no longer going immediately, I'd be worried. It may not be "public", but it's not so hard to get an account anymore.

I have an account at Kaya and log on occasionally (mostly to see what features they have added while I was gone), but I almost never use Kaya to play games. That is because Kaya still hasn't implemented all the features you want for frequent game play. I don't think that's a problem yet. They are still working on the software.

The way I see it, Kaya is sharing a 50% ready product with the community in order to improve its development process. Therefore, I would not worry about the fact that it doesn't have many users yet.

Of course, the standard by which I evaluate Kaya will change a lot when they release the gold version of their product. Right now, the sausage is only half-made and not yet cooked. So when I evaluate Kaya, I don't evaluate it according to the same standards I evaluate KGS or Tygem. It seems premature to worry about how the hot dog will taste at this point. We normally don't see how the sausage is made, so this is kind of a new experience for most of us. We can use the other servers for gaming while we wait for the Kaya hot dog with mustard and relish. If no one is eating the Kaya hot dog after it's cooked, then we can all start wondering what went wrong.

This post by lemmata was liked by: Bonobo

Post #10 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
lemmata wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

I have an account at Kaya and log on occasionally (mostly to see what features they have added while I was gone), but I almost never use Kaya to play games. That is because Kaya still hasn't implemented all the features you want for frequent game play. I don't think that's a problem yet. They are still working on the software.

The way I see it, Kaya is sharing a 50% ready product with the community in order to improve its development process. Therefore, I would not worry about the fact that it doesn't have many users yet.

Of course, the standard by which I evaluate Kaya will change a lot when they release the gold version of their product. Right now, the sausage is only half-made and not yet cooked. So when I evaluate Kaya, I don't evaluate it according to the same standards I evaluate KGS or Tygem. It seems premature to worry about how the hot dog will taste at this point. We normally don't see how the sausage is made, so this is kind of a new experience for most of us. We can use the other servers for gaming while we wait for the Kaya hot dog with mustard and relish. If no one is eating the Kaya hot dog after it's cooked, then we can all start wondering what went wrong.

I am guilty as on of the account nappers mentioned above however, I am all in favour of a viable and vibrant Kaya. But I find it hard to believe that what we are seeing now is only 50% of the final product before opening publically. It's got to be at least 80% of the way there.

That's not to say that Kaya won't continue to evolve after it opens, of course it will.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 12
OGS: X1117
Kaya handle: Xatu
Well, given the number of available accounts, being open beta, it's virtually the same as any server simply requiring registration for play. So depending on the perspective, it's already open. Which would be terrible, if not balanced by the fact that kaya is about continuous development, not being RTM at a specific point in time.

Even if it were to be out of beta today (with the assumption that all stability issues are fixed and guests playing is possible), a case can be made that kaya is already primed to be one's main server, because it will evolve not only during the upcoming months, but years. What I'm trying to say is that there's no final product to speak of, even after beta.