It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blog Announcement
Post #41 Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
I found it enlightening that any new go server is in fact expected to be KGS + additional new features + new interfaces.

Its a good point to take note for any would be go server writer.

Kudos to wms for setting the standard.

Post #42 Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 19
KGS: Mages
Tygem: Mages
IGS: Mage
Online playing schedule: Weekends.
Two of my friends and I tried Kaya when we started playing (along with IGS, Tygem, DGS and KGS) and really liked the look of the interface (relative to KGS). We honestly made a serious effort to stick around...

As others have already pointed out though, we found a lot of the available features non-intuitive, some expected features missing and found development a bit sluggish, at least in areas we thought were a necessity for a go server. For me, as a beginning player, very good review tools, a decent user base as well as an intuitive, uncluttered UI was a criteria.

Later, I spoke to some of my friends at our university go club and some of them said they had a similar initial experience with Kaya, and ultimately went back to their ol' stomping grounds to never return, forsaking their Kaya beta accounts.

I still keep high expectations... and... if and when Kaya gives atleast some of the same tried n tested features as IGS/KGS (along with anything else that enhances it relative to these servers) would love to play games there once again.

Best wishes !

Post #43 Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
As a supporter, while I have great respect for the energy and the skills of Gabriel and DP, Kaya did not meet my expectations.

I was just trying to connect from my iPad to doublecheck and both with Mercury and with Safari browser, I could not be logged onto the server.

The issues have already been mentioned, but I hope it helps in the sense of constructive criticism if I give my view:

- ineffective use of UI space. There had been a slight improvement, but still not sufficient. I am already 'turned off' when I see that in the chat window the text does not start directly after the user name, but in another row. UI was actually the part were I put the most hopes into given the 'old' and inflexible looks of KGS. Currently, I like the KGS UI a lot more.

- not enough focus on robustness

Would these two be solved, I would give it another try ... before that I am glad to have proven and mature servers like KGS and Tygem.

Post subject: Screen Layout
Post #44 Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Regarding usage of space during the game, it is quite simple: the board has to extend from the very bottom of the screen to the very top of the screen. Everything else, like clock, player names, chat, ... has to go to the right or to the left.

It cannot be difficult to get that right.

Post #45 Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
On a 1024 resolution wide screen, I expect to get a userlist, chat, and list of games. Ineffective use of screen real estate is a big issue and one that was never on the mind of the developers it seemed.

Post #46 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 12
OGS: X1117
Kaya handle: Xatu
Morgoth Bauglir wrote:

Kudos for a now 13-year-old standard.

Another thing that was widely used 13 years ago : Internet Explorer 5.

Post #47 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Xa17u wrote:
Morgoth Bauglir wrote:

Kudos for a now 13-year-old standard.

Another thing that was widely used 13 years ago : Internet Explorer 5.

Of course, IE10 is such a great improvement...

Post #48 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Morgoth Bauglir wrote:
I found it enlightening that any new go server is in fact expected to be KGS + additional new features + new interfaces.

+ stone sound

This post by palapiku was liked by: Xa17u

Post #49 Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Well, I wrote in August 2011 in the original thread.

Quote:
Imho it is very difficult to establish a new go server nowadays. You will need the right player base much more urgently than the best interface, so I would invest more in translating services than programming. Even a server like OGS suffers from lack of players, 1k upwards the population is very small and this is a turn based server that can cope with a small population much better. I really wonder whether it is all the fancy features that draw people to e.g. WBaduk or the possibility to find an even opponent within seconds. To me it is clearly the second.

It went exactly as I thought it would (and I didn't put money into it for that reason), but I am not happy about it.

A go server needs players, to attract players you need to offer them some benefit over existing servers. It is much easier to gain a major advantage vs. commercial servers that are not free-to-play than vs. free-to-play server KGS which is despite complaints without major issues. Trying to gain an advantage over KGS while planning to make a commercial, but free-to-play server is hard, i.e. some of the very features that are supposed to constitute your advantage vs. KGS will be only available to paying customers. Competing on features vs. KGS meant much more development effort than would have been necessary otherwise (i.e. competing on price in Japan, Korea) as well. But raising capital from the western go community you probably had no chance but to cater to their wishes and that is hard with so many wishes and different opinions.

Post #50 Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
At some point you have to realise that Go isn't about the board and stones.

Post #51 Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:20 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 35
Was liked: 18
It's sad because Kaya had a good user base from the start which is more than any new Go server can ask.
I remember the free beta accounts release days; people could register 900 accounts in a few hours!

So the "There are not enough games being played on Kaya" argument is maybe true now, but it wasn't for a long time.

Something went wrong on the way.

I used to play regularly in the ASR league on Kaya and it was SO COOL! That system was (is?) awesome with live update of the result page and people actually did reviews. There were lots of dan players which was the fastest way for me to improve. (at some points Kaya ranks were moderately stronger than KGS')

Of course there were a few bugs in review mode (they got fixed rather quickly in my opinion) and apparently a few features that are on KGS were missing on Kaya and it resulted in bad comments and bad reviews on Go forums.

Although I have no special requirements for a Go server beside being able to play without lag and getting a basic review afterwards (without all the whistles, colors and stuff), I was personally disappointed that the killer feature was correspondence games instead of the highly expected tournaments.

I guess it's like Bantari said, the customer is king and he got ignored. Expectations were too high.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 am 
Gosei

I was a bit sceptical about the userbase size, because I know how people like to register multiple accounts :)

For instance, some players try to collect the alphabet a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p ...
Others will take go terms sente gote tenuki
Other Sai Hikaru

I have no idea what the average number logged in was, I guess the server logs would. However, I would bet that somebody probably took about 100 accounts at one sitting with some automated script, and shafted people who were actually interested in seeing what the server was like.

Post #53 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 pm 
Dies in gote

Okay no

There's a limit to how much bullshit I'm going to tolerate

Meaning : I would like someone (not going to give names) to fix the fact that nothing appears anymore since firefox 25

Thank you and drive safe

Post #54 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:14 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 33
Universal go server handle: dfunkt
Xa17u wrote:
Okay no

There's a limit to how much bullshit I'm going to tolerate

Meaning : I would like someone (not going to give names) to fix the fact that nothing appears anymore since firefox 25

Thank you and drive safe

LOL Kaya is erasing itself now. Hey Xatu, you could join Nova (I bet you already have in a clandestine way.)

Post #55 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm 
Dies in gote

dfunkt wrote:
(I bet you already have in a clandestine way.)

Jesus christ you wish

Nova is to kaya.gs what libertarianism is to objectivism

Post #56 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm 
Gosei

Bruce Willis in a string vest award

Post #57 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
Xa17u wrote:
Nova is to kaya.gs what libertarianism is to objectivism

Deep, man.

Post #58 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:12 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 21
-Cough,Cough-

kusto wrote:
enjoy your sinking ship captain :salute: because we all know it has a lot of holes and in reality is not going anywhere.

It's still not being updated and still not open sourced to the public. Go figure. :roll:

Post #59 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:53 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
I’m not sure … perhaps it’s more what apples are to oranges, or, uhm, perhaps what relativity is to ice cream. Or, well, what iridescence is to fragrance. Ach, forget it, I didn’t even understand what you meant with your comparison ;-)

Post #60 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Yeah, I look at that, and think "I know what I might think of such a comparison, but I have no clue what the author means."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next