The way games are started on kaya...
is the best way possible. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
is perfectly acceptable. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
is not great, but it's not a problem for me. 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
is not great, and it is a problem for me. 44%  44%  [ 11 ]
is lousy, and makes me not want to play on kaya. 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
is the worst way of starting a game that I have ever seen. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: What do you think about Kaya's way of starting games?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
It's my personal suspicion, that the main reason people are not flocking to kaya.gs is that they don't like the way games are started. Since Gabriel has lowered his stake in the server, I thought he might now be willing to make a change if popular opinion demands it. What do you think, is this the deal breaker, just another meh factor, or perhaps one of the reasons you're still there?

Vote for any of the first three to refute my suspicion, and for any of the last three to confirm it.

Post subject: Re: What do you think about Kaya's way of starting games?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
The main problem with Kaya is the UI. The game creation is only a small part of that.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
KGS: Ryuukun
Tygem: JoeFutile
OGS: Ryuukun
Universal go server handle: Ryuukun
The thing I dislike the most is that kaya is browser based and not client based. I just like client based games that much more.

This post by Ryuukun was liked by: Mef

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
daal wrote:
It's my personal suspicion, that the main reason people are not flocking to kaya.gs is that they don't like the way games are started. Since Gabriel has lowered his stake in the server, I thought he might now be willing to make a change if popular opinion demands it. What do you think, is this the deal breaker, just another meh factor, or perhaps one of the reasons you're still there?

Vote for any of the first three to refute my suspicion, and for any of the last three to confirm it.

When you say Gabriel has lowered his stake in the server, what does that refer to?

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
cdybeijing wrote:
When you say Gabriel has lowered his stake in the server, what does that refer to?
I think Daal means Gabriel’s last blog post.

See also the discussion of this here.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:13 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
The way to start games makes a huge difference. Whenever I login to Flyordie (which I do rarely though), it takes about 30 seconds to get the first challenge. One click and the game is running. Otherwise the activation energy that is needed to start a game seems to high (at least for me these days). I am not sure whether I am challenged on flyordie by the player himself or whether the software chooses the opponents and creates the game automatically, but the way they are doing this seems to be efficient enough to get such a small group of players alive (their main rooms is usually populated by around 100 players). Some kind of automatch with standard game settings (board size, time settings, max difference of handi stones) would probably a good way for Kaya to get more games played.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
I think opening a new window is not the best. I start a game than start doing something different while waiting, and I'm not aware when the game is realy started. I would prefer to open up a window with a game only when the opponent click on a game offer. Or maybe change it to something similiar to playok.com approach - you open a table (not an invitation or waiting screen) and just wait for an opponent to come to play/chat. Probably it's the best, better than KGS idea of open invitations and better than manual sending invitations as on other go servers like tygem, wbaduk, igs, etc.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
The lack of automatch is a big dealbreaker for me, in combination with the small number of players and the lack of notification when a game has started.

Of course, automatch won't make a huge difference at first with a small population. It does change the dynamic though. As it is, I can start a game and go do other things while I wait for an opponent to notice my game. This means at least one player has to be actively engaging in finding a match. With automatch, both parties can fire and forget. Similarly, I'm never sure if I see an open match whether or no it's intended to be open to anyone. Automatch is a way of clearly flagging that you're just looking for a match with someone else, but no one in particular.