It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Requirements for sending international representatives
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
Being based in Curacao now, it occurred to me that according to the AGA bylaws, I won't be in a position to compete for international representation for the foreseeable future. So, I started to think about go on the island. I wonder if Curacao is allowed to send a representative, and if I would qualify. (I'm a resident, but not a citizen).

Beyond self-interest, though, I've showed the game to several of the locals. And if I can say "You know, Curacao could use a representative to the WAGC... practice and we'll set up a tournament to decide", I might be able to start something here.
I also suspect a candidate pool here, somewhere, maybe stronger than me. (There are a large number of chinese immigrants) But I haven't found them yet.

Curacao also has an unusual relationship with the Netherlands, (being under its protection, sharing its currency, locals have Dutch Passports), but at the same time being an independent entity, considered as its own country. The Netherlands go organization has its own system for representation (And its own pool of very strong players), but they have no contacts on the island, and I don't believe they consider the island under their purview.

Does anyone know the details?

Post subject: Re: Requirements for sending international representatives
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I suppose that if there were a Curacao Go Association, it could set its own criteria for representation. :)

What the international organizations have to say, I don't know.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Bill Spight wrote:
I suppose that if there were a Curacao Go Association, it could set its own criteria for representation. :)

What the international organizations have to say, I don't know.

My memory is that the WAGC expects candidates to supply a copy of their passports.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Read EU, Dutch and Curacao laws to find out the exact status of Curacao and its inhabitants. Contact the Dutch Go Association and EGF whether it considers Curacao part of the Netherlands or don't and try to establish Curacao as independent. Or contact the latin American federation. Compare Hong Kong and Macau. Find out if Curacao belongs to NA, SA, Caribbean or Oceania (incl. Australia and New Zealand) from the POV of the organisers of WAGC or other world tournaments etc. Since you are only a resident, consider your own citizenship according to your identity card or passport.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, shapenaji

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Probably the first and perhaps only organisation to help you out is WAGC itself.
I expect them to be able to inform you which criterion they use: citizenship, residency, membership (or perhaps other - independant? - proof of level and credentials).
Perhaps WAGC bylaws can tell you more?
Next, you may be a delegate/representative of either:
- US of A
- Curacao
- The Netherlands
and contact either go association in accordance with the criteria and priorities WAGC uses.
PM if I can be of further assistance (being Dutch).
Status of Curacao as a country I think is of lesser importance to you. It is a country within The Kingdom of The Netherlands, same as some other countries are part of a larger state union, kingdom or commonwealth.