It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: L19 Hahn Tournament
Post #21 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:49 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
To be honest, I really do not like systems that award more points based on how much you won by. I think one aspect of strength at Go is the ability to play safely when ahead in order to maximize your chances of success, and that is one of the skills I am aiming to acquire. That being said, I hope you guys have fun :) .

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #22 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
I'm in. The idea of going all-out even when ahead by 50 appeals to me.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:49 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
just the net points you scored minus komi gives your result. Just keep simple things simple. It forces you to reduce your losses in time and it punishes a all or nothing mentality.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Agree, simple is best.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 31
KGS: CSamurai
if it's any friday/saturday besides this weekend, I'd be interested. Just need more than a couple days to hammer my schedule into being open. Or, if it's a longer term thing like the last L19 tourney, I'd be open to it.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
when is this being planned to run for? specific days/weeks/months??

Post #27 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:39 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Generally are there players located in Asia who can not play during the day (local time) but have participated in L19 tournaments? I wonder what their experience has been in scheduling the games necessary to complete a round. This looks like fun, but when I look into the L19 room on KGS during my evening there are very few people there. I think I would have difficulty if I signed up. Thanks for any feedback.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:03 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
ez4u wrote:
Generally are there players located in Asia who can not play during the day (local time) but have participated in L19 tournaments? I wonder what their experience has been in scheduling the games necessary to complete a round. This looks like fun, but when I look into the L19 room on KGS during my evening there are very few people there. I think I would have difficulty if I signed up. Thanks for any feedback.

There has been one I think, though I could be mistaken as my recollection is fuzzy. Normally there's really a requirement to contact the people in your group to find a time that works for both players. Japan is 8 hours after the UK, and West USA is 8 hours behind, (and presumably there's 8 hours between West USA and Japan too) so I can't imagine the logistics should be too much harder than they are anyway when organising a global event.

Post #29 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
ez4u wrote:

I played several of my games in last year's L19 tournament while I was in China. I didn't have too much trouble arranging it. My schedule at that time allowed me to play either in the evening or before 10 in the morning, roughly.

Post #30 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
I like the idea of reducing the importance of whole board counting. I have respect but dislike the attitude "I am ahead, so no need to take risks".

I would like to participate as well, but it depends on the schedule.

By the way, did you consider a Hahnkovich tournament?

Post #31 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 am 
Tengen

entropi wrote:
I like the idea of reducing the importance of whole board counting. I have respect but dislike the attitude "I am ahead, so no need to take risks".

I would like to participate as well, but it depends on the schedule.

By the way, did you consider a Hahnkovich tournament?

I've added you as a 4k - Hahnkovich sounds like it could be very interesting, but it would take ages wouldn't it?

Post #32 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
topazg wrote:
I've added you as a 4k - Hahnkovich sounds like it could be very interesting, but it would take ages wouldn't it?

Thank you. 4k should be ok I think.

But how do you think will be the schedule and format of the tournament? I wouldn't want to spoil the tournament by not being able to find the time for one or more matches. This year I really lack the time, even in the evenings (growing family :)), but of course once in a while I can escape duties :)

Maybe you can just keep me out until a rough schedule (how many games, how many days, which time zone, etc etc) is more or less ready.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:06 am 
Tengen

entropi wrote:
topazg wrote:

Thank you. 4k should be ok I think.

But how do you think will be the schedule and format of the tournament? I wouldn't want to spoil the tournament by not being able to find the time for one or more matches. This year I really lack the time, even in the evenings (growing family :)), but of course once in a while I can escape duties :)

Maybe you can just keep me out until a rough schedule (how many games, how many days, which time zone, etc etc) is more or less ready.

Ok, I'll update you to provisional :)

My idea was an initial group stage involving 4 groups of 6 players, with a second round consisting of 3 groups of 8 players (group for 1st+2nd, one for 3rd+4th, and one for 5th+6th). Each will be a single round robin, played at some point over the month. So the idea would be 5 games in a month per player for the the first stage, and either 7 per month, or if that's too many, 7 over two months for the second section. I suppose the title match could then be played in month 4 :P