It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shin Jinseo's Study Plan
Post #41 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:12 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
This discussion has shown me how rusty my math is. It'd be good to get back into studying math, but it's a little hard to prioritize it. For job stuff, it's more practical to directly study stuff related to my job, for example.

I kind of want to get back into studying math, but it'd be purely for fun. And if I'm going to do that, I guess it's more practical to study go or something...

Post #42 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 21
Bill Spight wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
What is the simplest formula that works?

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
This is argument which is backing up your claim? I must admit, i expected sth much better.

Bill Spight wrote:
IOW, you don't know.

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
So are there anymore backup for your claims, or thats all?

You posted an expression which you claim is one of several formulae that work. Apparently you are unaware of a simpler one. OK.

Please explain what the expression means. You may assume that we are elementary school students.

You always answer a question with a question? You need to make some investigation yourself - great Honinbo Shuei meijin advice always on props.
You claimed that such a formula does not exist - its high time to back your claim with some proof, or at least prove that formula i showed is wrong.

@Kirby

If you look closely at wiki page, then you will see difference between "formula that generate prime numbers" with "formula that for all natural n, f(n)=n-th prime number". But neverthelss Wilson achievement is impressive and elegant, no doubt about that.

Post #43 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
AloneAgainstAll wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
What is the simplest formula that works?

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
This is argument which is backing up your claim? I must admit, i expected sth much better.

Bill Spight wrote:
IOW, you don't know.

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
So are there anymore backup for your claims, or thats all?

You posted an expression which you claim is one of several formulae that work. Apparently you are unaware of a simpler one. OK.

Please explain what the expression means. You may assume that we are elementary school students.

You always answer a question with a question? You need to make some investigation yourself - great Honinbo Shuei meijin advice always on props.
You claimed that such a formula does not exist - its high time to back your claim with some proof, or at least prove that formula i showed is wrong.

Your elementary school teacher made what is, at worst, an ambiguous claim, which depends upon what is a formula. It was a claim that also had been made by mathematicians. You then said
AloneAgainstAll wrote:
I wouldnt reccomend that math teacher to even my enemies.

I defended your teacher, who I still believe was right, based upon her understanding of what a formula is. My guess is that it was something like this. Given the Nth prime, Pn, and other information that we already know, which in this case would presumably include the identities of the first N-1 primes, but would not include information about higher numbers, such a formula is an expression which, when evaluated, will produce the N+1th prime. (If we are not restricted to what we already know, then we can find the next prime by examining numbers greater than Pn. The point of having a formula is to leap from the known to the unknown.)

The expression you provide requires inspecting numbers up to 2^(N+1) to find the N+1th prime. It would not be such a formula, based upon that criterion.

Your turn. Explain your expression, please.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #44 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:18 pm 
Honinbo

Rigor you can maintain?

mortis.
:roll:

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #45 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:45 pm 
Honinbo

Continuing the off-topic math discussion:
Kirby wrote:
This discussion has shown me how rusty my math is. It'd be good to get back into studying math, but it's a little hard to prioritize it. For job stuff, it's more practical to directly study stuff related to my job, for example.

I kind of want to get back into studying math, but it'd be purely for fun. And if I'm going to do that, I guess it's more practical to study go or something...

Funnily enough, with this talk about math, I went ahead and finished a book that I'd been inching my way through, bit by bit. It's called "How Not to Be Wrong" (https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Be-Wrong-Mathematical/dp/0143127535). All in all, I'd recommend the book. The only reason I've been going through it slowly is that I divide my reading time up between different books (I'm working on about 3 other books in parallel - a little weird, I know).

Anyway, I enjoyed the concluding statement Ellenberg writes in the book, which I'll leave in hide tags in case anyone else is going to read it:

Under the last section of the book, subtitled, "When Am I Going To Use This?":
Quote:
Every time you observe that more of a good thing is not always better; or you remember that improbable things happen a lot, given enough chances, and resist the lure of the Baltimore stockbroker; or you make a decision based not just on the most likely future, but on the cloud of all possible futures, with attention to which ones are likely and which ones are not; or you let go of the idea that the beliefs of groups should be subject to the same rules as beliefs of individuals; or, simply, you find that cognitive sweet spot where you can let your intuition run wild on the network of tracks formal reasoning makes for it; without writing down an equation or drawing a graph, you are doing mathematics, the extension of common sense by other means. When are you going to use it? You've been using mathematics since you were born and you'll probably never stop. Use it well.

So perhaps my statement above is a little shortsighted: I'm already doing math in my every day life; perhaps just not as well as I could be.

Does that make formal study worthy of my limited time? I'm not exactly sure, yet, but I lean more toward saying yes than before...

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #46 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:06 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
Math for fun? Project Euler!

Post #47 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 am 
Lives with ko

"Point for having formula is to leap from known to unknown" - can you use precise mathematical language? Is this prove that my formula isnt formula? How well defined function can be not a formula? Can you provide any example that well defined funtion is not formula?

Is

1.f(x)=x formula?
2 f(x)= Floor(x) formula?
3 f(x)= x+x^2 formula?

If you answer yes for this 3 questions, then you cant deny my formula being formula. If you deny, then which of these you negate?

Which expression you want me to explain? You mean explain formula i showed? I am not sure which expression you refer to.

If we define formula exactly to ban this "formula" (well, it wouldnt be formula then) for being solution to problem, then sure. But thats not math anymore.

The only true weak point of this formula is that its useless for computations. Even F(10) needs already good machine. But using floor function and sum is perfectly ok, and thats not only my view, but general consensus of mathematicians. I wonder what Paulo Ribenboim would think if he heard that ppl thinks that formula he invented is not a formula :).

Post #48 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:10 am 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll, I’d consider the example you gave to be a formula. But like you said, it may not be that useful due to the computation it requires to calculate. It would be a lot better computationally if it were expressed, eg, as a polynomial without the summations. But I think that kind of polynomial might be what doesn’t exist.

Anyway, I don’t see a problem with calling what you shared a formula.

Post #49 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 am 
Honinbo

For example here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Formula.html

Quote:
In mathematics, a formula is a fact, rule, or principle that is expressed in terms of mathematical symbols.

The example given fits this definition, whether or not it is useful.

Is it possible that the professor in question meant to say that you can’t express this type of function as a non-constant *polynomial*? That seems like an easier claim to make.

By the way, this still has little to do with Shin Jinseo - maybe I should change the thread title...

Post #50 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
So I have a much shorter formula that computes f(n):

f(n) = f(n).

This post by jlt was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, gennan

Post #51 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:32 am 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
"Point for having formula is to leap from known to unknown" - can you use precise mathematical language?

The question of whether "formula" is ambiguous or not is a lingusitic question.

Quote:
Is this prove that my formula isnt formula? How well defined function can be not a formula? Can you provide any example that well defined funtion is not formula?

Sure, but not by your definition of formula. :) That cannot be the definition of formula your elementary school teacher used (or that of the mathematicians who made the same claim), because she was well aware that there is a well defined function, f(n) = Pn, where n is a natural number and Pn is the nth prime. The ancient Greeks knew how to find the nth prime. So, from her perspective, a well defined function is not necessarily a formula.

Anyway, it's your turn. :)

Please explain the meaning of the expression you posted.

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:33 am 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
So I have a much shorter formula that computes f(n):

f(n) = f(n).

Seems like a true equality. But AloneAgainstAll‘s formula describes something about the nature of f, albeit computationally expensive.

Post #53 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:39 am 
Honinbo

Think of it this way: if somebody has no idea how to compute the nth prime, AloneAgainstAll has a formula that is descriptive.

Post #54 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:41 am 
Lives with ko

Yes f(n)=f(n), but that does not give n-th prime number or whatever, it just give f(n).

Kirby, you can extract post which should not belong to this thread to another thread (you can even cut my posts and keep parts, and move another parts i am perfectly fine with that). Thank you that at least one person here can admit that i was right (well, not me but the guy who inveted it, the more i think about it, the more i respect him).

No, Greeks didnt defined functions at all (i am not sure when the first correct definition of function was provided, but it was well after the Greeks and even Gauss). Erastotenes knew algorithm to get all prime numbers, but algorith is not always function. You seems to think that formula, function etc has "floating" meaning, thats not true.

I asked you which expression you want me to explain. You didnt said, but keeps asking me to explain. I will not play this dumb game anymore. Thats enough of rudness i can endure.

Post #55 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:47 am 
Gosei

f(n) is the n-th prime number, so you can't say it doesn't give it.

If you prefer, f(n)=max{m>1 | for all 1 < a(1) < ... < a(n) < m, there exist i, x, y such that a(i)=xy and x>1 and y>1}.

That's a formula according to Kirby's definition.

P.S. Bill was referring to the expression https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=253915#p253915

Post #56 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:52 am 
Lives with ko

If f(n) is n-th prime number, all you said is that n-th prime number equals n-th prime number. Thats not the same as providing forumla that makes f(n)=n-th prime number.

Post #57 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 am 
Gosei

"f(n)=max{m>1 | for all 1 < a(1) < ... < a(n) < m, there exist i, x, y such that a(i)=xy and x>1 and y>1}"

is expressed by mathematical symbols, and tells how to compute f(n), so is a formula that computes f(n) according to Kirby's definition.

Post #58 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:00 am 
Honinbo

I don’t understand why folks are so reluctant to call the given expression a formula. It seems we largely agree on its limitations. So it’s just a matter of definition. But isn’t it at least agreeable that “formula” is a generally used term? We have more specific words like “polynomial”, etc., to express a more constrained body of expressions.

Anyway, I’ll split the thread soon - I’m not at a place where it’s easy to do at the moment.

Post #59 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 am 
Gosei

Quote:
So it’s just a matter of definition.

That's what I've said several times. The teacher has a definition of "formula". AloneAgainstAll has another definition in mind and concludes that his teacher was wrong, and is so bad that he wouldn't recommend her to his enemies. I found that judgment too hard.

This post by jlt was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, gennan

Post #60 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:06 am 
Lives with ko

jlt wrote:
"f(n)=max{m>1 | for all 1 < a(1) < ... < a(n) < m, there exist i, x, y such that a(i)=xy and x>1 and y>1}"

is expressed by mathematical symbols, and tells how to compute f(n), so is a formula that computes f(n) according to Kirby's definition.

OK - my english seems to be really weak, and when i tried to use this formula i failed. Can you give me step by step description how you calculate f(5)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next