It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Democracy or absolute monarchy?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
Hello folks,

Which one of the systems of government you think it is best - The Democracy or The Absolute Monarchy?

The absolute monarchy is a system of government that allows a single person called a monarch to take control of the entire nation. His voice is louder than the others, and he can do whatever he wants - no one has the right to say anything to him. He can confiscate your property in one day, without the right to dispute his will. He can also kill you while standing before him. But he can also make a lord from a peasant and give you boundless domains just like that, if he thinks you are worthy of such posseions.

I think the absolute monarchy is the most useful thing to a single nation.

In the democracy, the things are exactly the other way around - the power belongs to many people, and you always have the right to dispute any decision. It gives you more freedom, and some other stuff.
This question has been discussed ever since the raise of the mankind.
What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Democracy or absolute monarchy?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Stefany93 wrote:
Hello folks,

Which one of the systems of government you think it is best - The Democracy or The Absolute Monarchy?

The absolute monarchy is a system of government that allows a single person called a monarch to take control of the entire nation. His voice is louder than the others, and he can do whatever he wants - no one has the right to say anything to him. He can confiscate your property in one day, without the right to dispute his will. He can also kill you while standing before him. But he can also make a lord from a peasant and give you boundless domains just like that, if he thinks you are worthy of such posseions.

In the democracy, the things are exactly the other way around - the power belongs to many people, and you always have the right to dispute any decision. It gives you more freedom, and some other stuff.
What do you think?

I think that each system is only beneficial given a very specific set of enduring conditions. Otherwise each system will fail.
The conditions can be, among others:

1) For Monarchy: good will of the Monarch - he cares about the country rather than about his own interests.
2) For Democracy: the education and awareness of the people - so that the decisions they make follow reason and common sense rather than whoever has more money to shout louder.

The world has seen failures on both sides, as well as some successes (although these were much less permanent than the failures).
If the conditions above are not met, I think that Democracy can be the lesser of the two evils because it has much more inertia so the damage is spread over a much wider time period. And also - within the Democracy there will always be forces pulling for the good, even if in minority, which will help. In Monarchy, if the Monarch is bad, that's that.

Anyways, what I say is an extremely simplistic picture. I don't really think that a pure Democracy or Monarchy is physically achievable. We always operate somewhere inbetween.

PS. there are other viable systems as well, you know, with their own issues... its not only between these two. ;)

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:15 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Stefany93 wrote:
Hello folks,

What do you think?

absolute monarchy is the can be the best choice but given gready human nature it usually fails.
democracy can never be optimal given the fact that there are more dumb people than smart people.

conclusion: i think given that 2 choices democracy is lesser of two evil.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Quoting H.L. Mencken, "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

This post by deja was liked by: Harleqin

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:56 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I prefer a Republic. Where everyone is free to determine their own course and destiny. Not subject to the whims of either one person (monarch/dictator) nor a majority (congress/parliament). With a simple (elegant) set of laws for the sole purpose of maintaining order (not individual control).

Words familiar to all Go players.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Cloud E Head wrote:
I prefer a Republic. Where everyone is free to determine their own course and destiny. Not subject to the whims of either one person (monarch/dictator) nor a majority (congress/parliament). With a simple (elegant) set of laws for the sole purpose of maintaining order (not individual control).

Words familiar to all Go players.

Well, republic has pretty much the same problems as Monarchy.
It assumes that the ruling group has the best of the country at heart.
Also, I am not sure you have really that much influence over your own destiny.
Depends on the laws in place and on the willingness of the ruling group to listen to you.

I don't think there is a good system out there.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:41 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Folks, please read the guidelines at http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=1006, in particular the part about no political threads.

Thanks
JB, Admin

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:13 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Helel wrote:
Our Monarch has spoken.

Nope, merely one of the aristoi.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I actually do not care too much about the government system, as long as the state is under the rule of law.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Folks, please read the guidelines at http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=1006, in particular the part about no political threads.

I actually thought this topic was abstract enough that it might slip under the radar, but I guess not? The OP did not ask about any current political situation; simply asked almost a philosophical question about political systems.

This post by GoCat was liked by: ketchup

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 6
GD Posts: 20
Well, under democracy there is no corruption, and cities cannot be incited to revolt, but the senate makes it much harder to go to war. Under monarchy you can declare war on who you please and the military can be used to occupy cities to prevent civil disorder. However the inherent corruption means a large empire will just fall apart, so in general I prefer democracy. My overall favourite form of government is one based on religious fundamentalism, because everyone is happy.

This post by Oroth was liked by 2 people: Aphelion, Li Kao

Post #12 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 200
KGS: calm
Everyone knows that the best government is an absolute monarchy with the monarch Adolf Hitler.

Thus I end the thread.

This post by calm was liked by: Stefany93

Post #13 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 59
GD Posts: 227
KGS: Aphelion02
Oroth wrote:
Well, under democracy there is no corruption, and cities cannot be incited to revolt, but the senate makes it much harder to go to war. Under monarchy you can declare war on who you please and the military can be used to occupy cities to prevent civil disorder. However the inherent corruption means a large empire will just fall apart, so in general I prefer democracy. My overall favourite form of government is one based on religious fundamentalism, because everyone is happy.

Religious fundamentalism is proven to be the best follow up to democracy, once you obtain a tech advantage.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Oroth wrote:
Well, under democracy there is no corruption

Is this a joke? :twisted:

This post by kokomi was liked by 2 people: Harleqin, Loons

Post #15 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Too much black and white thinking. Nature exists in a dynamic tension between extremes. Integrating the extremes of democracy, monarchy and autocracy; while living in that dynamic tension would be a better balance. The only organizational system that I know which directly addresses this is Holacracy, see: http://holacracy.org/resources/organization-evolved

Post #16 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Wow. The first two pages of that are enough for 50 rounds of buzzword bingo.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Aphelion wrote:
Oroth wrote:

Religious fundamentalism is proven to be the best follow up to democracy, once you obtain a tech advantage.

It has been a long time, but I think I preferred communism over democracy. But that might just have been due to lack of knowledge. But communism sounds awesome if like being at war.

@kokomi
Why do you think so? It's a simple fact.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
kokomi wrote:
Oroth wrote:
Well, under democracy there is no corruption

Is this a joke? :twisted:

Li Kao wrote:
@kokomi
Why do you think so? It's a simple fact.

"Why do you think so?" is an excellent question, the answer to which we can probably learn from. "It's a simple fact" is a statement that is dangerous in the context of a thread like this. In the arena of political discussion, when one person claims "a simple fact" (I see it occasionally in letters to the editor and in opinion columns), it usually is in reference to something that is nearly impossible to assert as factual, and is often based largely on a belief system.

I was going to respond to Oroth's claim, also, but hesitate to get into this discussion at all. But here I am. So, let's go with the (debatable) assertion that the United States is a democracy. In its history are a number of examples of corruption. We can look at the past "machine politics" of Chicago as an example. There are a number of other episodes in history that demonstrate corruption (e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome). In my own opinion, one could say that our legislative system, while intended to be fairly democratic, is corrupted by moneyed influence.

So, in questions such as these, there are no "simple facts". The world tends to be much more complex than that.

Post #19 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Harleqin wrote:
Wow. The first two pages of that are enough for 50 rounds of buzzword bingo.

Here's a translation of the Executive Summary (http://holacracy.org/resources/organization-evolved) into more common usage:

Over the past 20 years or so, a bunch of people have talked about what we need to do to enjoy life in the 21st century. These people think the usual way of doing things won't work and are suggesting something new - the only question is, can we do it? But, we all know from experience that it's hard to change things if we just keep doing the same thing over and over again. If we want this new thing to work, we need to change the usual ways of doing things.

Holacracy is great and will do everything for us because all our great ideas can be shared without splitting us up into scattered groups doing different things. Holacracy lets those of us who have great, new ideas make the rules for how we should go about doing things and when we do these new things life will be much better because we'll finally be able to do everything we wanted to do.

Post #20 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

Thanks
JB, Admin

If the question of democracy vs. monarchy is a political topic in the modern world, we are in big trouble. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.