All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One for Robert
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:33 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
"Windows is currently the most secure mainstream OS. I mean, we can’t stand _using_ it, but that doesn’t change the facts." --the grucq (exploits merchant, opsec expert).

Post subject: Re: One for Robert
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
hyperpape wrote:
"Windows is currently the most secure mainstream OS. I mean, we can’t stand _using_ it, but that doesn’t change the facts." --the grucq (exploits merchant, opsec expert).

Secure as in you cannot escape from it once it has you in its clutches.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bantari

Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
Windows and Linux can be configured the most securely. The degree of security depends on the Windows version. Windows 10 creates the subproblem to consider privacy violations by Windows itself. For out-of-the-box use, iOS might be the most secure in practice for careless users, however, other attack vectors, such as social engineering or state hackers breaking encryption thanks to too short pass codes, remain. The best security combines remote backups with separation from the internet.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:32 pm 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 14
hyperpape wrote:

Most secure mainstream OS? This could be argued (Windows 10 is certainly the most secure *Windows* OS) though I'd like to see the rationale for it being strongest overall as it's weaker in many aspects such as privacy (thanks Cortana!).

Most secure non-mainstream OS? Nope. Not by a long way.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:53 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
RobertJasiek wrote:
Windows 10 creates the subproblem to consider privacy violations by Windows itself.

I love Big Brother.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:53 pm 
Judan

longshanks wrote:
being strongest

There is no such thing as an OS always having the same security. It always depends on how it is configured and used.

Post #7 Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:59 am 
Dies with sente

Bill Spight wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
Windows 10 creates the subproblem to consider privacy violations by Windows itself.

I love Big Brother.

Get yourself a Smartphone or just move to the UK then ;-)

Post #8 Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 am 
Dies with sente

RobertJasiek wrote:
longshanks wrote:
being strongest

There is no such thing as an OS always having the same security. It always depends on how it is configured and used.

Some OSes come in different flavours. For e.g. Debian doesn't come very secure out of the box as it's general purpose (and some of its defaults are odd -- no firewall rules, all home directories readable by every user, sub-optimal config of for things like ssh etc.). Tails however, is a security-focused version of Debian. All of this is agreeing with what you wrote above. It's just the distro maintainer is doing the configuring for you. You can still come along and wreak it (install Flash, Java, change good defaults to bad ones..) but you have to be determined. Whereas with non-secure defaults you have to harden -- which people generally don't know how to do or know that they even need to do.

OpenBSD is an OS that is designed from the ground up with security in mind first. One remote exploit in ten years? Windows 10 might well be the most secure mainstream OS, but let's see how the CVEs tally at the end of 2016.. I know which one I want controlling my lift :)

Post #9 Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:51 am 
Tengen

As I get older, my sense of what's "now" spreads out. This talk was from 2012, so it's Windows 7, maybe 8 days. Pre-cortana and all that. And he mentions Linux critically before mentioning Windows but never mentions any of the BSD families.

Anyway, here's the presentation (http://www.slideshare.net/grugq/opsec-for-hackers). It just jumped out at me because I remember people being incredulous that Robert is very concerned about security, but used Windows.

Post #10 Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:19 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
I think that "security" is a very wide subject, and we need to specify what exactly it means in this context. Below are a few examples of what I am talking about:

- prevention of targeted hacking
- prevention of adware, malware, and viruses
- data safety and persistence
- overall system stability
- etc.

In each of the cases "security" means something slightly different, and the system might have to be configured differently depending on what we mean. Some configurations which might help one issue, might damage another one, so it is important we know what we want. For example, data persistence can be helped by off-site storage (cloud?) but this might lower the hacking resilience.

Generally, I would not trust Windows very much, Win10 or any other flavor. Not because it is so bad necessarily (I think Win10 is OK for a Win OS) - but because it is by far the most popular platform, and so most hacking, addware, malware, and viruses will be targeted at it, and the most effort will be done to circumvent any security on it. Its just common sense - the most bang for the buck! Why target a 2% system if you can target a 90% system? Win10 is still relatively new, so it might be secure now, but just give it some time...

So, which kind of security do we mean? Or all of it?

Post #11 Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 pm 
Gosei

DrStraw wrote:
Secure as in you cannot escape from it once it has you in its clutches.

Heh... There is more truth to that than most people think.

As a gamer, I desperately tried to avoid Windows for years.
But finally, I had to give in and buy me a Win laptop. <head hanging in shame>

Post #12 Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:55 pm 
Judan

Bantari, percentage of tried attacks means very little. What matters is frequency of successful attacks for a given OS, configuration and use. E.g., a very frequent kind of attack is email attachments. By, e.g., never automatically or manually opening any attachment, zero such attacks are successful.

Post #13 Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:05 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
RobertJasiek wrote:
Bantari, percentage of tried attacks means very little. What matters is frequency of successful attacks for a given OS, configuration and use. E.g., a very frequent kind of attack is email attachments. By, e.g., never automatically or manually opening any attachment, zero such attacks are successful.

Humans are still the biggest risk factor.

Post #14 Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:20 pm 
Gosei

RobertJasiek wrote:
Bantari, percentage of tried attacks means very little. What matters is frequency of successful attacks for a given OS, configuration and use.

You misunderstood. I was not talking about percentages of attack, although this is certainly part of it as a logical consequence.

My point was this:
Windows users are the biggest target. Therefore, the most time and the most resources are invested in breaching Windows security. Therefore, its security is breached the most. Therefore, it is by definition a less secure system - even if in feature-by-feature comparison it might hold its own. This is all I am saying.

Or, in other words, there are not as many viruses written for Ubuntu as there are for Windows. And this will hold in the future indefinitely, I think.

Quote:
E.g., a very frequent kind of attack is email attachments. By, e.g., never automatically or manually opening any attachment, zero such attacks are successful.

This is a trivial example, not sure what you wish to illustrate.
By the same token you can say that you can avoid absolutely all attacks if you never turn your computer on.

Post #15 Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139

(They should, of course, just guess "correcthorsebatterystaple" for his password.)

This post by Fedya was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Bonobo

Post #16 Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18 am 
Tengen

Bantari wrote:
My point was this:
Windows users are the biggest target. Therefore, the most time and the most resources are invested in breaching Windows security. Therefore, its security is breached the most. Therefore, it is by definition a less secure system - even if in feature-by-feature comparison it might hold its own. This is all I am saying.
I think Android is more common than Windows.

Post #17 Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 am 
Gosei

hyperpape wrote:
Bantari wrote:
My point was this:
I think Android is more common than Windows.

With respect to their individual spaces, I am not sure what you say is true.
Windows has over 90% of desktop/laptop use, while Android only has around 60% of mobile use, according to my very fast and dirty looksee.
If these numbers are true, then I also doubt that Android is more common than Windows in absolute sense. It is true that mobile is more used than desktops these days, but the mobile numbers are not yet higher enough to overcome the 30% gap, I think. Although, I might well be wrong, so if you have better numbers, let me know.

Anyway, in this context, regardless of total numbers, the effort at hacking Windows should be much more consolidated than that at hacking Android.

Mobile devices are a different animal altogether, so I am not really sure if this applies. Have not thought about it much, so maybe it does. But my understanding was that mobiles have addiltional layers of hardware and software security built in by default, which are not (and probably can not) be present on desktops. For multiple reasons. This makes them much safer out of the box, but also more limited.

Post #18 Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:24 pm 
Tengen

Android has the highest shipments of any OS by far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... ng_systems, but I can't quite find anything that indicates installed base on that page.

Android security has been ...criticized...: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10474660
including in the presentation I linked to.

Post #19 Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 pm 
Tengen

hyperpape wrote:

About that! It turns out that my attempt to link to the slides was not successful. The actual talk was "COMSEC, Beyond Encryption" from 2015 (so more recent) and even more vulgar than the one that I actually linked to (NSFW). Feel free to look it up.

Post #20 Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 am 
Gosei

hyperpape wrote:
Android has the highest shipments of any OS by far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... ng_systems, but I can't quite find anything that indicates installed base on that page.

Android security has been ...criticized...: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10474660

Interesting.
I wonder if it would also hold if they combined all the Windows versions into one category.
Or split all the Android versions into separate categories.

The way the data is presented is misleading. Which does not mean it is not true.

My own quick googling got me the following: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=1 which assumes Win has +90% in its space (desktop+laptop) while Android has +60% among mobiles.

But then here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-federal-government-on-what-are-the-most-popular-us-end-user-operating-systems/ they seem to quote government data from last year which combined results, and Win is at ca 58% in first place, while Android is in 3rd place at 13.9% behind iOS at 16.4%. Last year's data, but still... did it change that fast that drastically?

It seems we can find any data supporting any hypothesis on the internet. So I still have no clue.

And yet, for the purpose of this discussion, my gut feeling tells me that Win has an absolutely overwhelming market share within the target group = Go player(s) paranoid about system security yet year after year unwilling to switch to a system more secure than Win.

Can you find any solid numbers on that? ;)