It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Gym
Post #41 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Careful there. Me, some judo friends, booze and a sauna is how I dislocated my shoulder :)

Post #42 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:51 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
CarlJung wrote:
Careful there. Me, some judo friends, booze and a sauna is how I dislocated my shoulder :)

I call that "living". :D

Post #43 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:27 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
tealeaf wrote:
(I find that going to a park with capoeira friends for a picnic, including a glass of wine, is a marvellous way to get new moves that you'd not dared to try before. It's how I first managed a backflip. :D)

I'll have to give that a go when the sun finally comes out. :)

I was told that butterfly kicks are a good way to work up to it, so I've been practicing those a lot recently. I think I need more explosion though.

Post #44 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
cdybeijing wrote:
wossname wrote:
I chose the program based on the general consensus at another online community I'm a member of - a lot of people there have gone on SS while following weight loss plans and made pretty large strength gains while they do it. For me, I am trying to eat at above maintenance, although I'm not sure I make 4000 calories every day.

Would that community be Crossfit?

Starting Strength and weight loss are not complementary propositions, but it may work for some. It would probably only work if you considered yourself to be overweight (i.e. not just simply someone looking to cut a few stubborn pounds.)

The community is right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179

You're right about the "few stubborn pounds" distinction - when I said weight loss, I wasn't thinking about going from basically in shape to getting ripped. W&W is SS-centric for beginners but there are plenty of people doing more advanced programs. My lifts are still going up every workout or every other workout, so I'm happy with what I'm on right now. I'm gonna switch to a body building split once I hit a 2 plate squat (which will be probably 2 or more months from now, considering it's at 165 right now).

Post #45 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
wossname wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:
wossname wrote:
I chose the program based on the general consensus at another online community I'm a member of - a lot of people there have gone on SS while following weight loss plans and made pretty large strength gains while they do it. For me, I am trying to eat at above maintenance, although I'm not sure I make 4000 calories every day.

Would that community be Crossfit?

Starting Strength and weight loss are not complementary propositions, but it may work for some. It would probably only work if you considered yourself to be overweight (i.e. not just simply someone looking to cut a few stubborn pounds.)

The community is right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179

You're right about the "few stubborn pounds" distinction - when I said weight loss, I wasn't thinking about going from basically in shape to getting ripped. W&W is SS-centric for beginners but there are plenty of people doing more advanced programs. My lifts are still going up every workout or every other workout, so I'm happy with what I'm on right now. I'm gonna switch to a body building split once I hit a 2 plate squat (which will be probably 2 or more months from now, considering it's at 165 right now).

If you're adding weight to the bar every week, and meeting your goals for weight loss, etc, there is no reason to look for another program. I'm happy to hear about your progressions. I wish I could still add weight to the bar sometimes...