It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Gym
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:13 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
The gym, ladies and gentlemen.

What do you do ? What have you done ? What do you wish that you did ?

Personally, I have some good friends who have taken to coming to my house and bodily dragging me from my computer to the gym, where we alternate upper and lower body (both of which seem to target abs too, so unfair) and then play squash when we're almost debilitatingly tired.

This is a pretty solid improvement from my previous; not going to the gym. I don't really have a great interest in becoming "ripped" but being strong instead of weak is a big up.

When I was young I did martial arts, that was pretty good fitness but I find it hard to get back into. I'd like to take some up again.

Post subject: Re: The Gym
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
I'm training for Spartan Race in the UK this year, so I'm doing about 60 pressups, 60 situps, a 4 mile run, and some basic upper body and arm dumbell exercises 2-3 times a week at the moment. It's a really good workout for now, and it's free :)

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
I'll hope to get some time to train soon so I can smash some PRs in the gym. One thing I'll change is to get a mixed grip on the deadlift. I have been using an overhand grip up until now.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:05 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
For about 15 years ending about 15 years ago I was heavily into Martial Arts and earned a black belt in a combination of Taekwondo, Karate and Aikido. Now I play golf a couple of times a week, I like the walking, beautiful settings and mental concentration.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I stick to running on the treadmill. I've dabbled with different machines and weights, but have come to conclusion that old-fashioned running seems to be the most efficient for losing weight, which is the primary reason I exercise in the first place (maybe also for health in general).

If I use the machines or try to lift weights, I find myself taking breaks and it doesn't seem like a strenuous workout. Running continuously for a long time seems the hardest, and also the most beneficial.

That said, I hate running... But I try to do it, still. I was in cross-country in high school as well, and I hated running then, too. Maybe I'm a masochist. :|

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
Eu jogo capoeira!!! :D

Post #8 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Awesome photos!

Post #9 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:32 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 55
tealeaf wrote:

:D I used to practice Capoeira. It's been a few years for me since I last played or practiced at all really but I should get back into it. I had a lot of fun with it.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:37 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 6
KGS: mic
I'm doing Aikido 2 - 3 times a week and go running on the other days (my normal 5km track, sometimes longer ones like 10km, 15km). I run quite slow to enjoy nature and relax and am probably too lazy to train for a Marathon (...and I probably won't like the competetive nature, have enough of that in Go).

- Mic

Post #11 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:10 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I haven't run a marathon, only a "mini-marathon" (10 Km), but what I got from the atmosphere, is that most people are not there to run against the others. The opponent is the course. Don't know if that spirit applies everywhere, but thought it might interest you.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I run once a week and lift weights once a week. Not real serious about each. I used to do each three times a week; then I had kids and the time for exercising disappeared pretty fast. Hey, it was either give up a few days at the gym or give up playing go and working on KGS. I dropped 1:30 from my mile time and 30lbs from my bunch press when I cut back so much, but now I've stabilized and that's OK.

I really want to try running barefoot. Mostly just because it's fun to try something new once in a while. I haven't gotten up the courage yet though; worried I'll a) look like an idiot, b) hurt my foot, or most likely c) both and be an idiot who hurt his foot by running around the city with no shoes on. But still it sounds like something that would be fun to try.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Nothing ! I hate sport !

Post #14 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 15
GD Posts: 98
KGS: Prophet19
Usually i get a workout chasing my son around, but what i have the time i go meet up with a few guys from my kendo day's and we spar for a good 4-5 hours. then we play go, then we drink, then i go home and relise its 6am, repeat process.

during the week my work, gives me all the work out i need

Post #15 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 1103
KGS: buzzsaw
I run outside three times a week when the weather is good. When it isn't I use the indoor track at the gym. I try to do strength training three times a week too. I ran my first 5K in January, and am hoping to run a 10K in the summer.

Terri

Post #16 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:30 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 1393
Lifting weights every other day. Deadlifts, dumbell overhead press. Currently I am on low weight but high reps-- with no rest between the lift types.

I also do a set of squats with just the bar, trying to adjust my form as Fwiffo suggested a long time ago. Friends say I'm doing it right, but I still lose balance. :oops:

Post #17 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
With my amazing lack of motivation (I wonder why I can't get myself to commit and play Go games...), I really don't work out. Really need to find somebody to exercise with. And there is even brand new gym equipment at my work that is free to use! So sad...

Best I do is walking a good 30 minutes or so, usually about 3-4 times a week. Better than nothing, I guess.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:13 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 6
KGS: mic
Phelan wrote:
I haven't run a marathon, only a "mini-marathon" (10 Km), but what I got from the atmosphere, is that most people are not there to run against the others. The opponent is the course. Don't know if that spirit applies everywhere, but thought it might interest you.

I'm thinking that the opponent is more my attitude and the aim to run better than mm minutes. When I run for fun I don't look at the time, even for longer runs.

- Mic

Post #19 Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 22
I always really hated sport, but now that I'm getting older, I get the urges to move around a bit... I was going to a gym regularly for some time when it was two floors below my workplace, but then I moved back to Prague and didn't find any convenient+nice+cheap place. I liked to DDR in the past, but now it feels too much like a timewaste - I need to give my brain something to do while I move around, so I like to listen to radio / audiobooks / audio lectures, jpop ain't my thing. What do you do while exercising? Just relax and enjoy the silence, or do you like to listen to something?

Nowadays, I just lift some weights in front of the computer time by time, but more importantly I bought a bike and cycle to school about 1.5 to 2 hours almost daily, and it is starting to make a huge amount of difference. (Unfortunately, Prague is not the most bike-friendly city, but with some great net resources it's possible to find a car-less path between most places in the city, just with plenty of annoyance around crossroads.)

Post #20 Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
I have a younger brother who's one of those guys that eats nothing but chicken and canned tuna with protein shakes and go to the gym 18384x a day. I just try to tag along with him every once in a while. Also, DDR if that counts - I don't really do it for the exercise though, I made it an irritating imperative a few years ago that I would pass a 13-footer on ITG (currently passed 2 12-footers, ! + Go 60 Go). Here is a video of someone doing so.