It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese company licensed Hikaru no Go live-action adaptation
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
From this news, I think it's on the way waiting for official announcement. What do you expect from this? Should it be film or tv series? Should it faithfully follow original manga, adding additional contents, or be completely reboot?

Post subject: Re: Chinese company licensed Hikaru no Go live-action adapta
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:48 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I'm interested to see what they do with it. I really like the anime - I think it's really well done, and I'm surprised at the amount of drama and tension they can wring out of the subject matter - but I can't imagine a live action version.

I've been rewatching the anime lately, and I'm surprised at how well I can follow the flow of the games compared to when I was a beginner. :D

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Curious to see how faithful they stay with the original story, script, chacracters, and dialogues, etc.
Whether they keep the entire historical background stories and the geographic location.
Also, there's a little entity in 2015 that didn't exist in the late 1990's.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
The new Sai >>> AlphaGo

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
and now it is realeased https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13364846/

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
Description of the first episode begins with "Chu Ying was the one of best weiqi players in ancient China..." -- so we know a few of the details have been altered :)

Post #7 Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:04 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
https://www.iq.com/play/1d4mf8z153x (You need to bear with the long ad)

AFAIK the first month or first 4 or five episodes are free.

This post by Bonobo was liked by: daal

Post subject:
Post #8 Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:56 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
The English subtitles are far from perfect

This post by EdLee was liked by: fireproof

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:46 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 136
I have watched the first 16 episodes. Apparently more are scheduled to be released over the next few weeks.
You can join the network for one month free but you must be sure to cancel the auto-renewal when your free 30 days expire or you will be billed. If I understand the episode release schedule, 12 more shows will be released by the time my free trial expires, a total of 28, but I do not know how many shows are in the entire series.

The complicated conceptual transition from the Japanese go tradition to China's longer weiqi history is rough in some places but one cannot view this series merely as a live action adaptation of our favorite manga. This Chinese production is a derivation and should be viewed objectively for its own style, story arc, and entertainment value.

I have enjoyed the shows and there are moments when the scripts track very closely to the original. However, the story took forever to get to the interesting parts and I really don't care much about the main character. He is a typical, deeply flawed teenager (not violent or asocial) and the writers give him many growth opportunities only to allow him in the next episode to revert back to being a lying, selfish, and manipulative jerk. The incidental and supporting characters are far more interesting and sympathetic.

The production values are quite high: good photography, stereo sound, solid editing, credible settings and scenery, understated effects. The acting is excellent and I really liked the little boy who played Hikaru in the first two episodes. I wish for stronger female roles to show up but doesn't seem likely.

I do have One Major Complaint with the series: The go/weiqi scenes are accurate and believable but terribly frustrating for knowledgable players to watch. The shots of the boards are too brief to see what's going on (pause and take a screen shot?), there are no fun discussions between characters that reveal the tension in the games, they do not analyze the games' critical events to make go's beauty and complexity a palpable part of the story (there are many poetical allusions to weiqi's beauty but no tangible proofs), and the central character's advance in skill is implied without proof on the board. This One Major Complaint is understandable if we look at the show objectively, from the producers' points of view: the series is family entertainment; it is not necessarily a national weiqi recruiting effort.

This post by bogiesan was liked by: Bonobo

Post #10 Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
bogiesan wrote:
I do have One Major Complaint with the series: The go/weiqi scenes are accurate and believable but terribly frustrating for knowledgable players to watch. The shots of the boards are too brief to see what's going on (pause and take a screen shot?), there are no fun discussions between characters that reveal the tension in the games, they do not analyze the games' critical events to make go's beauty and complexity a palpable part of the story (there are many poetical allusions to weiqi's beauty but no tangible proofs), and the central character's advance in skill is implied without proof on the board. This One Major Complaint is understandable if we look at the show objectively, from the producers' points of view: the series is family entertainment; it is not necessarily a national weiqi recruiting effort.

But that's in the spirirt of both the manga and the anime, isn't it?

As a "knowledgable" player I found my later viewings of the anime simply hilarious as even the most mondane atari gets a really strong reaction from one of the players. At the same time all the games both in the manga and the anime were real professional games, when I remember correctly, so the advance in skill had to be potrayed through other means (beating other players, becoming an insei, rising up etc).

Post #11 Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 7
bogiesan wrote:
You can join the network for one month free but you must be sure to cancel the auto-renewal when your free 30 days expire or you will be billed.

Did this end up working for you? I clicked on the banner for the free trial, found I had to register for the auto-renew plan, did so, but then immediately disabled it. I found that a few days later I was charged the 6.99 by the Apple Store. After a month my subscription lapsed as expected.

bogiesan wrote:
...I really liked the little boy who played Hikaru in the first two episodes.

I agree, he was great.

Post #12 Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:30 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
oh wow! I was hoping netflix would do something like this

Post #13 Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:17 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 4
justtysen wrote:
Did this end up working for you? I clicked on the banner for the free trial, found I had to register for the auto-renew plan, did so, but then immediately disabled it. I found that a few days later I was charged the 6.99 by the Apple Store. After a month my subscription lapsed as expected.

This kills the whole point of a free trial. Some kind of divorce for money. Although the amount is not large, the very fact of such deception is unpleasant.

Post #14 Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:05 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 136
KayBur wrote:
justtysen wrote:

This kills the whole point of a free trial. Some kind of divorce for money. Although the amount is not large, the very fact of such deception is unpleasant.

Do you speak from experience or are yo adding an editorial opinion to this thread?

For me, the entire process was easy and quick. There was no deception, no divorce, no hidden charges, no penalties, no unpleasantries at all.

Most of us had zero complications joining the Chinese streaming network for the free one-month trial and we happily binged the series.

Post #15 Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
I was very late to the party, fearing the charm of the series to be riddiculed by a live action play. However, I watched the series a few weeks ago (only a few episodes left, but those with Sai gone are so... sad and I couldn't bring myself to watch them yet) and I really enjoyed it a lot. I like the changes they made to show the Chinese way of e.g. doing the pro qualification or the part with the monks and the friendship between "Waya", "Isumi" and "Hikaru". And as far as I know, the whole series can be watched with English subtitles on their website without any registration? Why would you need to register? Because of the ads? I also found the subtitles pretty good - I don't know any Chinese but I could follow the story more than well enough.

Here's the link to the series, just for futures reference of anyone who wants to watch it - Bonobo's Link seems to still work, but it references to this link (1st episode starts to play right away): https://www.iq.com/play/slxk4ry5to

Post #16 Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:09 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 4
bogiesan wrote:
KayBur wrote:
justtysen wrote:

Do you speak from experience or are yo adding an editorial opinion to this thread?

For me, the entire process was easy and quick. There was no deception, no divorce, no hidden charges, no penalties, no unpleasantries at all.

Most of us had zero complications joining the Chinese streaming network for the free one-month trial and we happily binged the series.

This is my opinion based on the posts I read in this thread. Most likely, I misunderstood something and hastened to draw conclusions.