It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Login help needed
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
I have a new laptop on which I cannot access L19.

I can access it from my main machine (Windows), my iPad and my iPhone and Mac. But it's been quite a long time since I started using L19 on those, and I may have forgotten the right procedure.

On the new laptop (Windows 10) L19 appears in the "neutral" form: you get View Unread Posts but not View Your Posts (i.e. I'm supposed to be able to read but not post until I've logged in). But when I click on View Unread Posts I am not given a chance to read but instead I am taken to straight a Login menu (user name and password). Which I've tried, without success.

Snuggling under the bedcovers, I mistyped my password the first time and tried again (pretty sure it's the right password - I have to use it often enough on the other machines) and then got locked out with a message telling me I had exceeded the number of login attempts (2???) and had an incorrect user name or password and may have to use CAPTCHA. So I clicked on Forgot Password, which brings up another dialogue box which asks for user name and email address. My entries there were accepted and I got a message telling me an email had been sent to me. That was last night. I've received no e-mail from L19 (but did from others). I tried again this morning - same lack of success with either logging in or getting a password-reset email.

Help!

Post subject: Re: Login help needed
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Oh no :-|.

I could only think of:

1-- your e-mail somehow being mistyped in your account settings (but this seems unlikely as it is required to create an account in the first place I believe...)

2-- the e-mail appearing in some other folder (such as Junk-- but I suspect that you have already checked it) meaning you have to search for admin@lifein19x19.com across all folders.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I’ll help you out.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
It took a while but I'm back on now, thanks to sterling work by Brian Kirby and Adrian Petrescu.

I'm not sure whether they nailed the underlying reason for the lockout, but as regards not receiving e-mails from the server (for password refreshes), although I still have not received them on my main machine, I eventually found them on my new machine hidden away as junk. I have a distant memory of accepting very strict junk mail rules on my main machine, and I'm guessing that the L19 mails got stopped dead in their tracks there and didn't make it to the junkyard, whereas on the new machine I have not yet set up any junk filters (different software as well).

I have a suggestion as to what the problem what might be - perhaps the experts can comment. This problem was "too many logins" (which the server responds to with a lockout, apparently). I assumed this referred to trying to login again after entering a mistyped password. But is it possible that it refers to logging on on two different machines simultaneously? I can't actually remember the sequence of events, but just possibly I failed to login on the laptop (possible mistyped password) and tried to login on the iPhone, which succeeded. When I went back to the laptop (and perhaps didn't log out on the phone) and tried to login again on the laptop - right password this time - I just ended up giving the server indigestion. Not all sure that's how it unfolded but does it seem plausible?

Anyway, many thanks again, Brian and Adrian!

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Kirby

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
One thing to note about the emails - I forward email from various accounts to a single gmail account. If my email address is set to one of these forwarding accounts, I never get the message. But if I set directly to my gmail account, I get the message. I haven’t experimented with this enough to determine the variable that makes a difference, yet.

The system does need some work, so we will try to fix this issue.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bonobo