It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thank you from a Looong time Lurker
Post #1 Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:22 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Hi everyone,

TLDR: Thank you to everyone at this site for unknowingly keeping my interest in Go alive over the past 7 years

I wanted to make a post to tell everyone at this site Thank You. I've been lurking here for over 7 years now, off and on. I discovered Go back in 2008, found godiscussions and then lifein19x19.

My story with Go is a familiar one; I have high motivation, study, and play for several months and then drop off. I drop off for many reasons; nobody plays in my real life (I live in Alabama); I get distracted by games like Hearthstone; I'm married with 2 boys (10 and 6) so my time is limited.

During the times when I've dropped off, I'll randomly decide to drop in on lifein19x19 and check out the boards. I can't describe how seeing the same names posting about Go every-time I drop in has contributed to my getting back into Go every time. Your dedication and enthusiasm helps me to get back into it.

I'm currently in another round of being excited about Go and I hope it continues this time. I've downloaded GRP to help me analyze my games to try and improve. I used to enjoy following the blog "gooften" but it seems like he has stopped. Are there any other motivational Go blogs out there?

I can't decide if turn-based games that take weeks to finish are worth it. I'm also scared of people just using bots to make their moves. I found a real-life friend interested in Go and I have a 13x13 game going on DGS with him, but it doesn't really do anything for me.

Anyways, Thank You to everyone here for maintaining high interest in Go and posting about Go throughout the years.

This post by Xai was liked by 4 people: fireproof, Grin Weepa, pnprog, Waylon

Post subject: Re: Thank you from a Looong time Lurker
Post #2 Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:38 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Thanks for sharing your story and keeping the community going!

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
OGS: Revolver Ocelot
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I have a similar backstory... so I won't bore you with it. Seriously though, I wouldn't have learned a thing about Go if it wasn't for the great minds on L19 bumping into each other here for a little chat. And teaching the whole community in the process. Thank you Senseis!

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Xai. :)

Post #5 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Xai: did you try to show the Hikaru no Go manga to your children and/or teach them Go?

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 5
jlt wrote:
Xai: did you try to show the Hikaru no Go manga to your children and/or teach them Go?

Hey, no I haven't shown them Hikaru yet. I've considered it. I actually just started a rewatch of it myself, but the version on YouTube right now has a pretty bad translation!

Post #7 Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
Hikaru is on either netflix or Hulu now (I can't remember which). The subs there are not bad and they even have it dubbed (although the voice actors make me cringe).