It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: What makes a good teacher? What is a formula?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 21
@Marcel
And what if student refuse to do what teacher say? In my life, i meet many bad teachers, and even if some skilled ppl were nominally taught by them, after the teacher-student relation were over (sometimes even before), they always said "He didnt taught me anything, i learned all by myself". And i am not talking only about go, i say it generally.

I still remember one of math teachers in my elemenatry school which was saying that "there is no formula for producing n-th prime number [f(n)=n-th prime number]". When i started to study math i accidentaly ran into article that extensively deal with prime numbers and many formulas and theorem about them. It also contained many formulas that this math teacher denied existence. I wouldnt reccomend that math teacher to even my enemies.

Post subject: Re: Shin Jinseo's Study Plan
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
A good teacher is someone who motivates students to learn, but students have to do the ...k.

The fact that "there is no formula for producing n-th prime number [f(n)=n-th prime number]" is correct, but the teacher could have said that f(n) ~ n log(n), maybe this would have fascinated part of his audience.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:53 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
A good teacher is someone who motivates students to learn, but students have to do the ...k.

An excellent soccer example today on the BBC site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-515164 ... od-teacher

A written version is at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... land-discs

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
AloneAgainstAll wrote:
I still remember one of math teachers in my elemenatry school which was saying that "there is no formula for producing n-th prime number [f(n)=n-th prime number]". When i started to study math i accidentaly ran into article that extensively deal with prime numbers and many formulas and theorem about them. It also contained many formulas that this math teacher denied existence. I wouldnt reccomend that math teacher to even my enemies.

Too bad. I don't know about his teaching ability, but he was right about the non-existence of a prime number formula that does not include listing some of them. Oh, sure, you can come up with a formula, f(n), where n is a natural number, that produces all the prime numbers up to 41, but the next value is not a prime. In fact, there is a polynomial that will produce the sequence of all known primes. So what?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:07 am 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
The fact that "there is no formula for producing n-th prime number [f(n)=n-th prime number]" is correct, but the teacher could have said that f(n) ~ n log(n), maybe this would have fascinated part of his audience.

Well, since they were in elementary school, some of them might have fallen off the log. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 am 
Gosei

Ah, I missed the word "elementary". But anyway, my point was that the role of the teacher is to sow seeds. Not every seed will grow into a plant, but some will.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:40 pm 
Lives with ko

jlt wrote:

Jlt why are you sure that there is no such a formula? Can you elaborate what makes you think that way, or who told you that, or where you heard that, or what is proof that such a formula does not exist? I am most anxious to hear all of this, and i am not telling it with sarcasm or disrespect, or any hostility (everybody who thinks same would be greatly apprecisted if provide me answers for this questions).

Here in attachment is one of such a formulas you just denied existence, you can check that it indeed works (but pls check it after you respond to my questions, its really important to me.

Attachments:
File comment: Formula i mentioned
Nth prime number formula 44.png
Nth prime number formula 44.png [ 4.51 KiB | Viewed 9601 times ]

Post #8 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:12 pm 
Lives with ko

Bill Spight wrote:

Too bad. I don't know about his teaching ability, but he was right about the non-existence of a prime number formula that does not include listing some of them. Oh, sure, you can come up with a formula, f(n), where n is a natural number, that produces all the prime numbers up to 41, but the next value is not a prime. In fact, there is a polynomial that will produce the sequence of all known primes. So what?

Unfortunately your claim that this teacher was right is completely wrong. Do you have any argument to back up your words?

Post #9 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
AloneAgainstAll wrote:
Unfortunately your claim that this teacher was right is completely wrong. Do you have any argument to back up your words?

Your formula is completly useless. It's order of magnitude worse than a naive algorithm and don't give any theorical insight on the problem (as the [-{k/i}] is just a fancy way to test if i divide k).

Post #10 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Tryss wrote:
AloneAgainstAll wrote:

Your formula is completly useless. It's order of magnitude worse than a naive algorithm and don't give any theorical insight on the problem (as the [-{k/i}] is just a fancy way to test if i divide k).

But its correct, right?Did i ever said its usefull for computing prime numbers? We talk about existence and correctness, not usefulness, right?

If i didnt convinced you, think about this way - lets say i have completely unusefull formula which produce nontrivial zeros of Riemman-Zeta function. Would you be interested to see it, or would you just say, its useless for computing them?

Post #11 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:46 pm 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
Here in attachment is one of such a formulas you just denied existence, you can check that it indeed works (but pls check it after you respond to my questions, its really important to me.

What do you mean when you say that the formula works?

Thanks. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 pm 
Lives with ko

It means that for any natural number n, this formula produce n-th prime number.

I thought that meaning of "formula works" is same as "this formula is correct (produce correct results, produce results expected)", but i guess thats not the same.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 pm 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
It means that for any natural number n, this formula produce n-th prime number.

I thought that meaning of "formula works" is same as "this formula is correct (produce correct results, produce results expected)", but i guess thats not the same.

Well, since you mentioned plural formulae, there could be a different way for each formula to work. :)

What is the simplest formula that works?

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #14 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
Heureka, I found the meaning of life.
It is the "meaning of life"!

Post #15 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:47 pm 
Honinbo

Gomoto wrote:
Heureka, I found the meaning of life.
It is the "meaning of life"!

Elvis lives. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #16 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:33 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
primes = #@!?b + primes - #@!?b

the interesting idendities are the ones with different left and right sides. :-)

Post #17 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:37 pm 
Lives with ko

Bill Spight wrote:

What is the simplest formula that works?

This is argument which is backing up your claim? I must admit, i expected sth much better.

Post #18 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 am 
Gosei

AloneAgainstAll: your formula is correct, but doesn't do the job that one would expect from a formula. This conversation is a bit like:

- Go Master: assuming komi is (fair komi + 0.5), there is no known method to win a go game as white 100% of the time.

- StudentAloneAgainstAll: I disagree. You can explore the entire tree and search for an optimal path.

This post by jlt was liked by: gennan

Post #19 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 am 
Lives with ko

You really think this is good paraphrase? I dont think so. There are things we cant "enclose" in mathemathical formulas (like results of integral of sin(x^2) cant be described by elementary functions, only infinite sum ) etc. So the fact that we can produce such a formula (even if its completely useless for computing) is mathemathically significant.

Post #20 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:35 am 
Gosei

What is significant and what is not is a matter of personal taste. So let's agree that we disagree here...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next