All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cooking amateurs
Post #21 Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Web0r wrote:
Thank you very much for the advice - and you have an impressive knives, I can give you that.
I haven't considered buying some pro-knives before, but now I'm thinking that this will be not just a good present to my wife (who is an excellent cook, which makes sense to our little lockdown challenge) but a suitable appliance for my personal cooking practice. Will dig into this. And I'm still learning about sous vide. And the method without vacuum sealer - thank you very much, that answers my basic question

If you really want to dig into knowledge about pro-knives, I suggest going to the following forum. I've learned quite a bit there even though I'm still a noob compared with many others there.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/

Post #22 Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 8
IGS: Tritonus
OGS: Tritonus
Hey guys!

I've been experimenting with fermentation during lockdown, and I have a recipe to recommend: ginger beer.
The recipe is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqPko6a3Wh4

It's going to cost only ginger, sugar, water and time, and it's a delicious beverage which can easily replace a light beer or lemonade.

This post by Triton was liked by 2 people: tchan001, Web0r

Post #23 Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 2
Triton wrote:
Hey guys!

I've been experimenting with fermentation during lockdown, and I have a recipe to recommend: ginger beer.

It's going to cost only ginger, sugar, water and time, and it's a delicious beverage which can easily replace a light beer or lemonade.

Great recipe - and looks easy enough even for me! Thanks for the advice, I'll try it as soon as I stock up on ginger.

Post #24 Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:58 am 
Dies in gote

Web0r wrote:
Triton wrote:
Hey guys!

Great recipe - and looks easy enough even for me! Thanks for the advice, I'll try it as soon as I stock up on ginger.

Glad you liked it. Some additional advice: in the video it says that the ginger bug will become fuzzy in 3 days, but it can take a lot more time. It's best to use filtered water and organic ginger, and if it really doesn't start, you can add some raisins (they have natural yeast on their skin).

This post by Triton was liked by: Web0r

Post #25 Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
I still have some sourdough starter in the fridge. I wonder if it would help if I introduce a tiny bit into a ginger bug to get it started faster.

Post #26 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 am 
Beginner

Triton wrote:
Web0r wrote:
Triton wrote:
Hey guys!

Glad you liked it. Some additional advice: in the video it says that the ginger bug will become fuzzy in 3 days, but it can take a lot more time. It's best to use filtered water and organic ginger, and if it really doesn't start, you can add some raisins (they have natural yeast on their skin).

Thanks for the advice - we had just installed our faucet water filters last year, so this might come in handy with beers fermentation.

Post #27 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:23 am 
Dies in gote

tchan001 wrote:
I still have some sourdough starter in the fridge. I wonder if it would help if I introduce a tiny bit into a ginger bug to get it started faster.

I don't know about that, but you can make kvas with it I think. If you don't know it, it's some kind of bread beer.

This post by Triton was liked by 2 people: tchan001, Web0r

Post #28 Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:35 am 
Beginner

Triton wrote:
tchan001 wrote:

I don't know about that, but you can make kvas with it I think. If you don't know it, it's some kind of bread beer.

My mother-in-law used to make this. It's not beer, much more like just beverage which tastes really like beer, but softer and sweeter (if the process was followed properly). But yeah, you definitely can use that sourdough starter for this.

Post #29 Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 am 
Beginner

Hey guys, I got a little question here... The weather is really good now, so I just unpacked my grill... And decided to start from the thing I never did before - grilling vets. While I was searching the web, found a lot of article about veggie kabobs. But the ingredients are different in any source I can find. Maybe somebody have experience in this and can share some real-life experience on grilling vegetables?

Post #30 Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:13 am 
Dies in gote

Web0r wrote:
Hey guys, I got a little question here... The weather is really good now, so I just unpacked my grill... And decided to start from the thing I never did before - grilling vets. While I was searching the web, found a lot of article about veggie kabobs. But the ingredients are different in any source I can find. Maybe somebody have experience in this and can share some real-life experience on grilling vegetables?

Hey! I'm no expert in grilling but you don't need to add anything for grilled peppers or eggplants to be delicious!

Post #31 Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Vegetables for grilling (in no particular order):
- squash (sliced or whole with seeds replaced with cream cheese, wrapped in parma ham / bacon)
- eggplant (sliced)
- tomatoes (whole or seeds replaced with cream cheese)
- paprika (seeds removed)
- peppers (seeds removed)
- potatoes (several different methods; summer potatoes are really delicious)
- carrots (again, summer carrots are best)
- corn (precooked)
- cauliflower (pieces or "steaks")
- broccoli (pieces)
- asparagus (esp. good when wrapped in parma ham or bacon, with hollandaise sauce and grilled salmon)
etc etc

esp. root vegetables may benefit from precooking

Softer vegetables are usually best when grilled carefully on open fire; root vegetables are easiest when chopped, wrapped in tinfoil with herbs and butter or cream cheese

This post by tj86430 was liked by: Web0r

Post #32 Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:03 am 
Beginner

tj86430 wrote:
Vegetables for grilling (in no particular order):
- squash (sliced or whole with seeds replaced with cream cheese, wrapped in parma ham / bacon)
- eggplant (sliced)
- tomatoes (whole or seeds replaced with cream cheese)
- paprika (seeds removed)
- peppers (seeds removed)
- potatoes (several different methods; summer potatoes are really delicious)
- carrots (again, summer carrots are best)
- corn (precooked)
- cauliflower (pieces or "steaks")
- broccoli (pieces)
- asparagus (esp. good when wrapped in parma ham or bacon, with hollandaise sauce and grilled salmon)
etc etc

esp. root vegetables may benefit from precooking

Softer vegetables are usually best when grilled carefully on open fire; root vegetables are easiest when chopped, wrapped in tinfoil with herbs and butter or cream cheese

That sounds really good! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try it!

Post #33 Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:46 am 
Beginner

So, it was raining last night, so I wasn't able to do that grilled veggies we were talking about. But, I'll definitely do that another day. Instead, my wife cooked mushroom cream-soup. It was great, but unfortunately I forgot to take a picture... However, I'm still focused on vegetables.

Post #34 Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:13 am 
Beginner

Finally, good weather! So we were grilling last weekend. We took two small pheasants and some veggies.. But I got a little bit carried away, and lost control over the temperature. Pheasants started burning, but when I took them out, they turned out better than I even expected. Meat was soft and almost melted in the mouth! But, I'm still thinking that I need a thermometer for grilling. And, while I was busy with the meat, our vegetable kabobs mystically disappeared :scratch: So, only pic of pheasants attached.

This post by Web0r was liked by: tchan001

Post #35 Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Hmmmmmm Cooking competition.

But what do you enjoy?

Try a Dutch almond Koek for desert lots of recipes on the internet. So easy, tasty and u do not even need a blender.

I love a good pork loin cooked in Kimchi. What could be simpler??

Rumballs are fun to make for Christmas. And they smell fantastic. Another simple recipe.

Just a couple ideas... : )

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony