It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which tablet is right for the game?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Hey! I thought about buying a tablet for the game, and to watch movies too. It is not very convenient from the phone, but sitting at the computer is tiresome. Can you tell me which tablet to choose from? There are several quite inexpensive options - maybe it's worth choosing something more expensive?

[admin]
Link removed because it looks like advertising
-JB
[/admin]

Post subject: Re: Which tablet is right for the game?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:58 am 
Judan

Was liked: 786
As to software, Windows and iPadOS seem to be better than Android. Next, consider if you want to use the tablet outdoors and need some sort of reduced reflectance; current iPads except for the basic iPad are reasonable options while alternatives are expensive, heavy and narrow. Third, choose long battery life (10+ hours indoor). Fourth, consider other aspects, such as file management, for which you might disregard iPads. In conclusion, the choice very much depends on your preference. Since you want Go, a small display ratio is mandatory.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
KayBur wrote:
Hey! I thought about buying a tablet for the game, and to watch movies too. It is not very convenient from the phone, but sitting at the computer is tiresome. Can you tell me which tablet to choose from? There are several quite inexpensive options, maybe it's worth choosing something more expensive?

Macintosh user since 1992 and all of my devices--everything--are from Apple. Everything just works together seamlessly. Get an iPad. Unless of course, you'd rather not. I've never heard of any of the products in that list. Decide on a budget and figure out if you're downloading go apps or just playing online.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:06 am 
Dies in gote

bogiesan wrote:
KayBur wrote:
Hey! I thought about buying a tablet for the game, and to watch movies too. It is not very convenient from the phone, but sitting at the computer is tiresome. Can you tell me which tablet to choose from? There are several quite inexpensive options, maybe it's worth choosing something more expensive?

Macintosh user since 1992 and all of my devices--everything--are from Apple. Everything just works together seamlessly. Get an iPad. Unless of course, you'd rather not. I've never heard of any of the products in that list. Decide on a budget and figure out if you're downloading go apps or just playing online.

I usually play online. I feel sorry for the iPad to wear out in games and watching videos. Therefore, I am looking for a budget option that you can torment with games and not regret it.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:11 am 
Judan

Was liked: 786
If the recommendations so far have not helped you and budget is your primary aspect, you will ignore the experience that in the long term quality is cheaper, ignore tests suggesting quality and solely need to formulate your criteria of "not regretting later". What are they, which of the budget tablets meet them and have there been no contrary reports? For budget devices, few tests tend to be available so "likely won't break" must be your criterion. Exclude dubious manufacturers (China crap, locked down Amazon tablets) and look for bad reports of each remaining candidate, such as Amazon 1 star reviews. The simple but non-crap choice is Samsung's budget tablets provided you do find your preferred go software for Android. If also none of this helps you, buy used and swap the battery.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with a SIM card slot 2 or 3 years ago for the almost same purpose you described: Recording games on tournaments and watching Netflix while travelling for tournaments (or going home to visit my family). As a Samsung mobile user, and therefore used to the UI, it worked perfectly for this case (and still would if Covid hadn't cancelled all travel plans in the past year and the forseeable future). So I can definitely recommend this series, it's good value for the money. Before I had a Samsung Galaxy S Tab (don't know which one.. 2?) and I can't say that there was so much of a difference, actually. I'm also happy I invested a bit more to get a tablet that doesn't only rely on WiFi but has it's own SIM card. It's not necessary if you frequently use it in areas with WiFi access, but it's worth thinking about it.

Apple tablets and phones have the advantage that smart Go books (if you consider buying them) have a better app than normal epub reader (and a few more books, too), but if that's not a high priority - and it doesn't sound like it - then I'd save the money to travel to a Go tournament instead as soon as there's real board ones again. :-)

Post #7 Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:13 am 
Dies in gote

Ember wrote:
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with a SIM card slot 2 or 3 years ago for the almost same purpose you described: Recording games on tournaments and watching Netflix while travelling for tournaments (or going home to visit my family). As a Samsung mobile user, and therefore used to the UI, it worked perfectly for this case (and still would if Covid hadn't cancelled all travel plans in the past year and the forseeable future). So I can definitely recommend this series, it's good value for the money. Before I had a Samsung Galaxy S Tab (don't know which one.. 2?) and I can't say that there was so much of a difference, actually. I'm also happy I invested a bit more to get a tablet that doesn't only rely on WiFi but has it's own SIM card. It's not necessary if you frequently use it in areas with WiFi access, but it's worth thinking about it.

Apple tablets and phones have the advantage that smart Go books (if you consider buying them) have a better app than normal epub reader (and a few more books, too), but if that's not a high priority - and it doesn't sound like it - then I'd save the money to travel to a Go tournament instead as soon as there's real board ones again. :-)

You're right, it makes sense to buy something cheaper with excellent parameters in order to save money. I see no reason to overpay for Apple if you can take a Samsung or Huawei. You need to consider the options available.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 1
I have an iPad and a Surface Pro, but what I play the most on is the 10-ish inch Walmart tablet I got over a year ago. It was <$90 and the battery life is not great, and the performance is not great, but it is enough to run the apps and even websites I need to play go. It is cheap enough I have no problem taking it anywhere, unlike my other options which are 10-15x more expensive. I am not taking my Surface Pro to the park. If someone snatches my cheap Walmart tablet who cares.

I have also played with the inexpensive Amazon Fire tablets, but by and large I find being restricted to the Amazon marketplace to be a significant limiter.

TL;DR - you can comfortably play Go on a tablet for less than $90

Post #9 Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:20 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 48
KGS: LordVader
I love Amazon Fire HD tablets, and they are very affordable.

I wasn't able to buy them from Amazon directly, (they don't ship to my country).
but I bought 2 of them through ebay.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 am 
Dies in gote

spook wrote:
I love Amazon Fire HD tablets, and they are very affordable.

I wasn't able to buy them from Amazon directly, (they don't ship to my country).
but I bought 2 of them through ebay.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have the option to order directly from Amazon. I just need a budget option, such that it would not be a pity to play and not think about wear and tear.