It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New game: Stigmergy
Post #1 Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 181
Was liked: 41
Quasi-randomly generated Stigmergy game.

Stigmergy is a drawless territory game for two players: Black and White. It is played on the spaces (cells) of an initially empty hexagonal grid of hexagons. Each player must have access to a sufficient number of stones of their own color.

Definitions

Two stones, or a stone and an empty cell, see each other if they lie on the same straight line of adjacent cells and there are no other stones between them along that line.

You control a cell if the number of stones of your color it sees is more than half the number of cells (empty or occupied) adjacent to it.

To flip a stone is to replace it with a stone of the opposite color.

Play

Black plays first, then turns alternate. On your turn, perform exactly one of the following actions:

• Pass, provided that there are no empty cells or every empty cell is controlled by some player.
  • Place a stone of your color on an empty cell not controlled by your opponent.
  • Flip an enemy stone on a cell you control.

The game ends when both players pass in succession. The player with the higher score in the final position wins. Your score is the number of stones of your color on the board, plus the number of empty cells you control, plus a komi in the case of White.

Komi

The komi is the even number of points which is added to White's score at the end of the game as a compensation for playing second. Before the game starts, the first player chooses the value of komi, and then the second player chooses sides. Alternatively, experienced players may agree on a standard value for all games.

Notes

Stigmergy can be played online, turn-based, at MindSports.

Stigmergy is a joint invention of Steven Metzger and myself, Luis Bolaños. It is based on Mike Zapawa's Tumbleweed.

Last edited by luigi on Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New game: Stigmergy
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2337
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
luigi wrote:

Definitions

Two cells see each other if they lie on the same straight line of adjacent cells and there are no stones between them along that line.

You control a cell if the number of stones of your color it sees is more than half the number of cells (empty or occupied) adjacent to it.

To flip a stone is to replace it with a stone of the opposite color.

Play

On your turn, either place a stone of your color on an empty cell not controlled by your opponent or flip an enemy stone on a cell you control.

In your simulation some stones flip when only one stone of the other color "sees" them. Is this an error in you simulation or in the rules as they are written above?

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm 
Lives in gote

ez4u wrote:
In your simulation some stones flip when only one stone of the other color "sees" them. Is this an error in you simulation or in the rules as they are written above?

If that is true, it's an error in the simulation. Can you point out one of those flips? The script I used seems correct.

Maybe you wrongly interpreted "sees" as meaning "is adjacent to"?

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:11 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2337
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
luigi wrote:
ez4u wrote:

If that is true, it's an error in the simulation. Can you point out one of those flips? The script I used seems correct.

Maybe you wrongly interpreted "sees" as meaning "is adjacent to"?

You are correct that I misunderstood "sees". I did not realize the stones "see" at a distance as well. That does change things. Tracking what sees what all across the board seems quite challenging.

My immediate reaction is that your 12-cell hexagon may be too large (at least for humans!).

However, I also think it would be interesting to train a zero-bot to play this game. My reasoning is that we (at least those of us seeing it for the first time) have no preconceptions of what superior play would look like. It might then be very interesting to observe what sort of play bots would come up with.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 am 
Lives in gote

ez4u wrote:
However, I also think it would be interesting to train a zero-bot to play this game. My reasoning is that we (at least those of us seeing it for the first time) have no preconceptions of what superior play would look like. It might then be very interesting to observe what sort of play bots would come up with.

Yes, I would love to see that. If you know someone that might be willing to do it, please let me know!

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Stigmergy can now be played online, turn-based, at MindSports. Here's one of my ongoing games:

Attachments:
Stigmergy.png
Stigmergy.png [ 44.46 KiB | Viewed 6737 times ]

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:28 am 
Lives in gote

ElomKW wrote:
I only just checked this out after trying to generalise Lentear rules to any regular polygon, I now realise you had this here already. A nice coincidence as it seems really neat!

Thanks! What is Lentear?

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 am 
Lives in gote

ElomKW wrote:
(After seeing the linked game) it feels the best way to blend Reversi and Go . . . Will Stigmergy be in the next Mindsports Olympiad (or become one of Mindsports rated games)?

I wish I could say yes, but I can't see the future. :)

In the meantime, one of my other games, Veletas, is in this year's Mind Sports Olympiad, in case you're interested.