It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Math puzzles
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
Judging from the trolling thread, it seems there are several people on this board that are interested in math puzzles.
So here is a thread where people can post math puzzles, and try to solve them ;)

To get things going, here is an interesting puzzle that I stumbled upon some time ago:

Puzzle 1:
Find two periodic functions f and g, such that their sum is the identity function (that is, f(x) + g(x) = x).
(A function is periodic iff there exists a d > 0, such that for all x: f(x+d) = f(x).)

EDIT: Corrected the definition of "periodic function". In the original version, the puzzle would have been a bit too easy ;)

Last edited by flOvermind on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Math puzzles
Post #2 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I think you mean "there exists a d > 0"

Post #3 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:58 pm 
Lives with ko

DrStraw wrote:
I think you mean "there exists a d > 0"

Of course. Stupid me, otherwise every function would be periodic ;)
I edited the original post.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 42
Not a solution, just an observation:
Suppose that f and g have the same period d. We have:

(1) f(x) + g(x) = x

Replace x by x+d throughout:

(2) f(x+d) + g(x+d) = x+d

But f(x+d) = f(x), g(x+d) = g(x), so (2) simplifies to:

(3) f(x) + g(x) = x+d

Subtracting (1) from (3) gives d = 0 - a contradiction, as we must have d > 0.

So, we conclude that whatever the functions f and g are, they must have different periods.

I'm curious to see the solution. I tried differentiating (1) to give:

f'(x) + g'(x) = 1

...and obvious candidates are f'(x) = sin^2(x) and g'(x) = cos^2(x). Integrating gives (along with additive constants):

f(x) = -1/2 sin(x) cos(x) + x/2
g(x) = 1/2 sin(x) cos(x) + x/2

But these are not periodic (because of the x/2 terms), so this is not a solution. In fact, I am beginning to wonder if the solutions f and g are even differentiable...

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
A constraint, but nothing near a solution:

I believe you can improve on tundra's comment. If f(x) has period d, and g(x) has period d', then you can't have any l = nd = md' for n,m as natural numbers. Otherwise, (f+g)(x) = (f+g)(x+l).

As a consequence, d/d' must be an irrational number.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
I think you've just trolled my brain.
My math is not that advanced, I expect that this requires some pretty heavy number theory.

I am certain that the period of at least one of the functions must be an irrational number, probably any irrational number. Otherwise their sum would be periodic at their lease common multiple. The functions are discontinuous, and very strange.

Let's let the period of f be 1, and the period of g be some irrational number d, let's say d = sqrt(2) for convenience. And let's define f(0) = 0. So...

f(0) = f(1) = ... = f(n) = 0
g(0) = g(d) = ... = g(md) = 0
f(d) = f(d+1) = ... = f(d+n) = d
g(d+1) = g(2d+1) = ... = g(md+1) = 1
f(2d+1) = f(2d+2) = ... = f(2d+n) = 2d
g(2d+2) = g(3d+2) = ... = g(md+2) = 2
f(md+n) = md
g(md+n) = n

Where m and n are integers.

That's all I've got. It means that f(x) and g(x) for non-integer rational values of x is something weird. And probably most irrational values of x too.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
Another problem to think about

A countably infinite number of people are given black or white hats. Each is then asked what the color of their own hat is. They are allowed to discuss strategy beforehand, but not allowed to see their own hat, or exchange information after the hats are distributed. Find a strategy with which only finitely many people will be incorrect in their guesses.

Hint:
Use the axiom of choice.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Don't you need to specify that they're ordered, and that they can see the hats of people after them in the line?

@Redundant:
You're sick...will anyone really get this without having seen it before?

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
I love this thread, despite having no formal training in Math beyond first year
Uni (and a few 2nd and 3rd year applied physics courses).

Putting some ideas together, we'll see how far I get. :D

In regards to Red's problem, I've heard the paragraph before, but never the solution. Should be interesting.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:29 pm 
Lives in sente

I don't assign the people given hats any order, but if the people decide to number themselves, that's ok. They can see everyone else. Also, they have infinite memory and computing power.

The previous hint gives very little away, so here's a bigger one if anyone is still interested:
Look into equivalence classes of some convenient equivalence relation.

Also, one can consider the finite case, where a greater than fifty percent average success rate is impossible. Try to find a strategy that maximizes the worst case success rate. It doesn't help at all in the infinite case, but is interesting.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
I'm no mathematician... but maybe I can convince someone this is a solution.
It's a trick, really. And I don't recall the right terminology from my college days.

And just for fun, I'll illustrate my solution with clocks...

That is to say, the number system in my solution is signed clock time, from (say) -12:00 to 11:59.99999... So, image a clock with 0:00 at the top, and +/- 12:00 at the bottom. +6:00 is on the right, and -6:00 is on the left.

The only operator in this system is addition. Naturally, adding 01:00 and -01:00 yields 00:00. And, addition is "modulo" the clock face. In other words, when adding two values that exceed 12:00, the result is now negative, and when adding two values that are less than -12:00, the result is positive.

Now, imagine one clock going forward at twice the the "normal" rate, and a second clock going backward at the normal rate. That is, f(x) = x + x, and g(x) = -x. Obviously, these are both periodic functions. Then the sum, f(x) + g(x) is simply x.

Example; let x = 05:00. The clock F shows 10:00, and clock G shows -5:00, the sum is 05:00. Next, let x = 07:00. Now F shows (07:00 + 07:00 = -10:00), and G shows -07:00. the sum is now 07:00.

basically, to add a positive number you advance clockwise on the clock; to add a negative number, move anti-clockwise.

Why did I use clocks? To illustrate the circular nature of my number system.

Is this a cheap trick, or what? :)

Post #12 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:33 pm 
Lives in sente

flOvermind:

What exactly are the domain and codomain for these functions?

Post #13 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
Here's a possible solution to Redundant's problem:

One of the math professors at my university gave a talk on this very subject. He didn't go into the infinite case, though.

Here's the solution for the finite case. Basically, since the hats are Black and White we can number them 0 and 1, respectively. Thus, if there were six people in line, the back person of the line would add up the numerical value of all the hats in front of him mod 2. He then calls out that number. The person in front of him, person 2, would add up the values in front of him and doing some arithmetic would know the color of his hat AND the color of the person's hat behind him.

Person 3, however, has to keep track of both numbers called out do some arithmetic, figure out the color of his hat and call out the correct color of his hat, also. So on and so forth.

This method will guarantee that 5 out of the 6 people go free. The person in back has a 50% chance of going free.

Can I extend this to the infinite case? I think so.

I believe that the infinite case is still solvable, and there has to be another piece of information given out. Let's also assume that since there are a countably infinite number of people, there is a one-to-one relationship from the number of people to the natural numbers. The person in the back of the line is person 1, the person in front of him is person 2, the person in front of person 2 is person 3, and so forth.

Also, let Black hats correspond to the number 0, and let White hats correspond to the number 1, again as in the finite case. Since the people are allowed to discuss a strategy before hand, they decide to stick with modular arithmetic as in the finite case. However, here is where they must decide on something.

In the finite case, we had a stopping point, namely the end of the line. However, in the infinite case, no such end of the line exists. Therefore the people have to decide on an arbitrarily large number 'N' that person 1, person N+1, person 2N+1, person 3N+1, and so forth will be the start of a "new" line, so to speak. So you have an infinite number of lines the original is broken up into. There is only a finite number of people in each new line so the finite case applies to each new line. Thus you have a countably infinite M number of people that had a 50% choice of being either correct or incorrect, so M/2 is the expected number of people that get it correct. So, really you only have at most M/2 being incorrect.

But, M/2 is an infinite number, so it doesn't help us. Hopefully, I'm on the right track, and someone can fix this.

@Redundant: In the finite case, all but one can be guaranteed to go free.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Interesting solution, suji. In fact, I misstated the problem, but you solved my poorly worded one very nicely.

I should add that the people are taken off into seclusion for their guess, so they have no information on the guesses of the other people.

Post #15 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:45 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
Redundant wrote:
.... They are allowed to discuss strategy beforehand, but not allowed to see their own hat, or exchange information after the hats are distributed.

In Suji's solution, aren't the people exchanging information after the hats are distributed? (When the person at the end of the line calls out a number.) What am I misunderstanding, here?

Post #16 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:06 pm 
Lives in sente

GoCat wrote:
Redundant wrote:
.... They are allowed to discuss strategy beforehand, but not allowed to see their own hat, or exchange information after the hats are distributed.

In Suji's solution, aren't the people exchanging information after the hats are distributed? (When the person at the end of the line calls out a number.) What am I misunderstanding, here?

Nothing, I just forgot how I'd stated the problem :D . These problems are very difficult to state correctly, as even slight miswordings can make the problems much easier or harder.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
Redundant, I've seen variations of the problem before, but get the impression that, following your specification, it must be unsolveable. If anyone sees a mistake in the reasoning below, I'd be interested!

First, you give no distribution of the colour of hats (maybe it's fifty-fifty, maybe it's only black hats? who knows). Therefore, there is absolutely no correlation between the colour of the hats that one can see and the colour of one's own hat. Then you say that there is no information exchange possible. Therefore, all that an individual can see is the colour of a bunch of hats, which is completely unrelated to the colour of his own hat and, therefore, useless information. Whatever any individual guesses, there will always be a chance that he's wrong. Since that holds for all individuals, there is no minimum on the number of people that guess wrongly. They just don't have any information!

One question: in what order are people are taken to the secluded room to guess their colour? I presume this is either completely random or fixed beforehand? Otherwise, the timing of walking away and stating your guess would be a form of information exchange.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #18 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 15
KGS: robinz
Some further thoughts on flOvermind's original problem:

fwiffo has already found most of what I have. I prefer to simplify things a little and think of the problem as being about finding only one function f - this determines g uniquely since we know that g(x)=x-f(x). So the function f has the properties that there exist positive real numbers d and e such that f(x+d)=f(x) and f(x+e)=f(x)+e for all x. As in fwiffo's post, it then follows easily that, for any integers a and b, f(x+ad+be)=f(x)+be.

The only observation I can really add at the moment is that, since we already know that d and e must be incommensurable (another way of saying that d/e is rational), I'm pretty sure that it follows that those reals of the form ad+be are dense in the reals. In other words, given any interval, no matter how small, there exists at least one - and hence in fact infinitely many - numbers of this form inside the interval.

Combining this with what we know about the behaviour of f, I'm pretty certain that this will mean that f can't possibly be continuous - although I can't come up with a totally convincing proof just yet.

But of course, there are far more non-continuous functions that there are continuous ones, so even if I'm right, it doesn't rule out there being a solution. It just means it'll be something pretty weird...

Post #19 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 am 
Lives with ko

First a general comment: I think it would be a good idea to number the problems, and also number the answers, so everyone can see at first glance what problem a post is directed at ;)

Now a few comments regarding Problem 1:

Answers to some attempts:
tundra wrote:
In fact, I am beginning to wonder if the solutions f and g are even differentiable...

I have not tried to prove this, but I'm pretty sure they are not differentiable or even continuous, and also certainly not Riemann-integratable. I'm not really sure about Lebesgue-integratable ;)

hyperpape wrote:
As a consequence, d/d' must be an irrational number.

Good observation. Note that you have only shown that *one of* d and d' must be irrational. But that's not so important I think.

fwiffo wrote:
Let's let the period of f be 1, and the period of g be some irrational number d, let's say d = sqrt(2) for convenience. And let's define f(0) = 0.
[...]

Correct so far ;)

robinz wrote:
So the function f has the properties that there exist positive real numbers d and e such that f(x+d)=f(x) and f(x+e)=f(x)+e for all x. As in fwiffo's post, it then follows easily that, for any integers a and b, f(x+ad+be)=f(x)+be.

Correct, too.
Hint:
You need the axiom of choice to actually construct a function with these properties.
Redundant wrote:
What exactly are the domain and codomain for these functions?

I didn't specify that on purpose, to see what you come up with ;)
But since most people are concentrating on real functions anyway: My solutions are functions from the reals to the reals.

Trivial observation:
As some people have already figured out, the periods of the two functions can not be commensurable. Therefore, it won't work with rationals.

Another hint:
Actually, one of the functions in my solution is from the reals to the rationals.

Post #20 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
Further observation on Problem #1:
Neither f(x) nor g(x) can be finite at any point in their periodic cycle.

Proof (sloppy, I know. I'm a physicist, not a mathematician):
Since f(x)+g(x) == x, and x runs from negative infinity to positive infinity, the sum of the two must also go to negative infinity for x -> neg. inf. and to positive infinity for x -> pos. inf. Therefore, as x goes to infinity, either f(x) or g(x) must always also go to infinity. But because of periodicity, this means that for ALL x, one of the two functions must be infinite. If only one of the two functions would be infinite, the sum of the two would be infinite as well. Thus, both must be infinite.

Maybe one can also conclude that one function must be always positive infinity, and the other always negative. My math is a little bit too shaky to be sure of that, but it does feel like a reasonable idea.

I suppose we now have to do some smart trick using the phase difference of the two functions. I'll have to think about that a bit further.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move