Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
flOvermind wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
Quote:
Nobody really knows what this language is about...

That's quite a bold statement, considering how many developers write applications with it. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean others don't.

Compare that to the number of developers writing applications in Java. Objective C developers are just a tiny minority.

kirkmc wrote:
I'd rather the format to the XGS server be open, so others can write clients.

Yes, me too. But that option is not available. What would be your second choice?

CarlJung wrote:
Seeing that kirkmc believes that it's better to not have a feature than have a badly implemented one, b would be his answer.

That's what I'd like to know. So far he's been dodging the question ;)

We're talking here about KGS - so the question is, should Apple have Java on the iPad, or should wms open up the KGS protocol... I kind of thing the latter is a bit more easy to implement, but that's just me.

FWIW, CGoban is the only Java app I use. I may have used one or two other, and probably only because I was reviewing them. I don't know of more than a handful of Java apps that people really use on the Mac. So you may have lots of Java developers writing for Windows, but I don't see the point, since it seems that only Windows users use Java a lot.

Post subject: Re: Apple on Flash
Post #42 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:21 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
As far as I know, the basic reason for Apple's decision not to support Flash is that Adobe ticked off Steve Jobs in the 90s ("You are not important; we don't need to support your niche system"), and now he lets them feel it back.

There is also a more objective problem, viz. the generally bad support of Flash, which, in my opinion, indicates that the standard is horrible.

Finally, the usefulness of a system is not only defined by what is available on it, but also by what is not present on it. Are there still Firefox users who do not have AdBlock and NoScript?

So, I do understand why Apple does this. For me as a user, it just means that these gadgets are not generally useful.

Post #43 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:01 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Harleqin wrote:
As far as I know, the basic reason for Apple's decision not to support Flash is that Adobe ticked off Steve Jobs in the 90s ("You are not important; we don't need to support your niche system"), and now he lets them feel it back.

There is also a more objective problem, viz. the generally bad support of Flash, which, in my opinion, indicates that the standard is horrible.

Finally, the usefulness of a system is not only defined by what is available on it, but also by what is not present on it. Are there still Firefox users who do not have AdBlock and NoScript?

So, I do understand why Apple does this. For me as a user, it just means that these gadgets are not generally useful.

Adobe did support the Mac OS in the 90s, but they just delayed their new versions of key programs like Photoshop and Illustrator. Whether this was because of pressure from Microsoft, or their own desire to see these programs expand on PCs is unclear, but at the time, Windows was a real dog with such programs, so it was an odd decision.

Post #44 Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
kirkmc wrote:
We're talking here about KGS - so the question is, should Apple have Java on the iPad, or should wms open up the KGS protocol... I kind of thing the latter is a bit more easy to implement, but that's just me.

If you only look at it from this narrow point of view, then yes.

But KGS is not the only Java app out there. There are lots of Java apps. Porting every single one of them is a lot more work that just implementing and supporting a single feature: Java support. And I'm still not convinced that implementing Java in a way that integrates nicely with the rest of the OS is not possible...