It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: People don't know how to complain about the iPad 2
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Reading reviews of the best-selling iPad 2, the majority of bloggers/reviewers seem incredibly inept at pointing out flaws. While there are several of weak criticims, here are three that I have seen often:

- The front-facing camera doesn't have high enough resolution. So what? Sure, this thing is useful for skype, facetime, etc., but do you really need to see the pores of the person talking? Also, I suspect most internet connections would have serious problems transmitting a high-resolution video without a lot of delay (which is problematic if you're trying to have a conversation). That said, a high res camera wouldn't hurt anything (most software automatically adjusts quality for video conferencing or have user-adjustable settings), except it would increase the (relatively low) price. I'm sure there are also nifty things you can do with a high-res front-facing camera, but this is hardly a major issue for most people.

- The rear camera is only 0.7 megapixels . Mega-pixel schmegapixel. The number of mega-pixels has very little to do with picture quality, unless you're seriously enlarging prints (as in making large posters). For example, a 4x6 print can look excellent with just 0.3 megapixels. This is a long misunderstood issue. The other parts of the camera (e.g. optics and glass quality, and processing) affect the picture much, much, much more. Even if the back camera had 10 megapixels, the iPad would still suck at taking pictures.

More obviously, how many people want to take snapshots with a 9.5" x 7.3" device?

- Only 512mb RAM instead of 1GB . Meh. Of course more memory would be good, but there has to be some balance with price. Heck, why not 4GB? It's just a bit tough to complain about.

As an aside, reviews of the "smart cover" are perplexingly overblown. Sure it is nice, but people talk about it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Reviewers ooh and aah over the magical way the cover wakes up the device and puts it to sleep using an invisible force Apple calls "magnetization." Blackberry has been using a similar technology for years....that's right RIM's Blackberry--not the first word in innovation. (I kid a little, of course, the cover is neat, but not worth more than a sentence or two in a 4 paragraph review).

My Complaints

I've been known to complain about Apple before, and many of the complaints I have about its other devices are the same for the iPad 2: regulated and censored store that is the only source for programs (absent jailbreaking), no data expansion (e.g., SD card - and I refuse to believe this would be an expensive addition), limited customization, etc. iThings are more accurately "appliances" rather than "computers." I also detest Apple's omission of articles before the names of its devices: example "Open and close it, and iPad 2 wakes up and goes to sleep." Write "THE iPad." Of course, this is not a criticism of THE device itself.

More specific to the iPad, the existence of the device doesn't really make sense. It really is mostly a huge iPod Touch. People say it is in between a laptop and a smartphone, but it is really between a netbook and a smartphone. And, mostly, the other devices do their respective jobs better. I'm not saying the iPad isn't useful, but I question the need for the new device category.

Admittedly, over time the device may justify its existence, but I don't see it ever replacing anything without being altered beyond recognition. This distinguishes the iPod and iPhone (the former replaced CD players etc., the latter replaced phones among other things), and just gives us an additional portable gadet to own. Someday it might be a competent e-reader. The new, thin design might do the trick for some people, but I find it nearly intolerable for reading books (news/magazine articles, etc., are fine), but a go-to e-reader, it is not (IMHO). The Kindle's screen is much easier on the eyes, and the battery lasts much longer (though I strongly prefer actual books).

The most insightful article I've seen on the iPad 2 is from the NY Times: Appeal of iPad 2 Is a Matter of Emotions. The author ackwnoledges that the device isn't rational, but people buy it regardless, based on emotions (the author included).

I end by noting that my iPad 2 is sitting on my desk, wearing its magical Smart Cover. :oops:

Post subject: Re: People don't know how to complain about the iPad 2
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
judicata wrote:
…snip…
I also detest Apple's omission of articles before the names of its devices: example "Open and close it, and iPad 2 wakes up and goes to sleep." Write "THE iPad." Of course, this is not a criticism of THE device itself.

More specific to the iPad, the existence of the device doesn't really make sense. It really is mostly a huge iPod Touch. People say it is in between a laptop and a smartphone, but it is really between a netbook and a smartphone. And, mostly, the other devices do their respective jobs better. I'm not saying the iPad isn't useful, but I question the need for the new device category.

Admittedly, over time the device may justify its existence, but I don't see it ever replacing anything without being altered beyond recognition. This distinguishes the iPod and iPhone (the former replaced CD players etc., the latter replaced phones among other things), and just gives us an additional portable gadet to own. Someday it might be a competent e-reader. The new, thin design might do the trick for some people, but I find it nearly intolerable for reading books (news/magazine articles, etc., are fine), but a go-to e-reader, it is not (IMHO). The Kindle's screen is much easier on the eyes, and the battery lasts much longer (though I strongly prefer actual books).

…snip…

I end by noting that my iPad 2 is sitting on my desk, wearing its magical Smart Cover. :oops:

:clap:

1. Omitting the "the" is much like Concorde. Dunno why, but some things just sound better without it.

2. There are many situations & tasks for which a "middle device" like iPad is quicker, easier, or just more enjoyable than other devices.

3. While e-ink devices have their strengths, iPad is much better for reading magazines, large pdf files, and anything with color. I love reading on mine.

4. Resistance is futile, ne?

Post #3 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I've been annoyed the missing article for a long time. I don't think it even sounds better, and the fact that most writers can't consistently stick to Apple's usage is minor evidence for it.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Sure, I guess it is fine for what it does but it is amusing to note the number of people I know who had an iPad but felt the need to sell it and buy an ipad2. I guess it really is the case that if its not trendy there's no point.... :twisted: ? For them at least anyway

Post #5 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 pm 
Lives in sente

imabuddha wrote:
:clap:

1. Omitting the "the" is much like Concorde. Dunno why, but some things just sound better without it.

2. There are many situations & tasks for which a "middle device" like iPad is quicker, easier, or just more enjoyable than other devices.

3. While e-ink devices have their strengths, iPad is much better for reading magazines, large pdf files, and anything with color. I love reading on mine.

4. Resistance is futile, ne?

1. I think omitting "the" (or "an") sounds aweful--to me, it is like nails on a blackboard. Obviously, this is subjective, but I've noticed that most writers add the article--and if they don't, good money that says it is a glowing review.

2. Yes--the device is useful and often more convenient and enjoyable to use than some devices in certain circumstances. But, for example, I cannot just take my iPad on a business trip. Except in some rare circumstances (e.g. your business depends on an iPad-specific app), the iPad doesn't really fulfill a missing need, nor does it consolidate devices. The success of the iPad doesn't convince me it is more than an iPod touch with a huge screen.

3. Yeah, this is subjective. I think I mentioned that magazine articles would be nicer on the iPad. I also realize some people have no problem reading on a screen like the iPad's or a regular computer screen. I read on the computer all day for work, but if I'm drafting a document I always print a hard copy to proofread and invariably pick up errors I had missed. And I just don't like reading casually on such a screen. Again, I admit this is subjective.

4. Yep, appears that way. There is always a hope that someday complaints from masses will be heard and responded to. But it isn't like Apple would have sold MORE iPad 2s this month if they had included an SD card, so I'm not sure what motivation they have.

Now I'm going back to play guiltily with my iPad 2 (but considering how tough these things are to get, how guilty do I really feel?).

Post #6 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
imabuddha wrote:

While it's much more expensive than the Kindle, the Kindle DX is actually excellent for large pdf files. I don't think it's fair to count out e-ink devices as a whole on that front.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
Monadology wrote:
imabuddha wrote:

While it's much more expensive than the Kindle, the Kindle DX is actually excellent for large pdf files. I don't think it's fair to count out e-ink devices as a whole on that front.

Way off topic... How long will it take for Qualcomm's billion dollar Mirasol plant to start producing displays? It should be the best of both worlds. Full color and 30fps video, also low power consumption for static images and visibility in full sunlight.

http://www.qualcomm.com/products_services/consumer_electronics/displays/mirasol/index.html

no, I don't work for qualcomm...

Post #8 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
I've been considering to get an iPad, and now an iPad 2, but I don't really agree with Jobs' views on a number of issues, nor am I a huge friend of locked-down systems. Right now I'm looking at the HTC Flyer, but won't get one before they have an update ready for Andriod 3.0 (doesn't sound like it'll launch with 3.0).

And maybe by that time I'll also have myself convinced that I actually need a tablet. :)

Post #9 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
hyperpape wrote:
I've been annoyed the missing article for a long time. I don't think it even sounds better, and the fact that most writers can't consistently stick to Apple's usage is minor evidence for it.

I disagree with Apple's usage, and I always use an article in my articles: the iPad, an iPod, your iPhone, etc. And my editors agree. There are no rules that says one has to stick to Apple's usage; spelling and case, yes. You can't say "IPod" or "iTouch" or "iphone," since these are product names.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:55 am 
Lives in sente

judicata wrote:

Either you don't get it, or you haven't had it long enough.

It's a wonderful device for reading, as imabuddha points out. It's great for certain types of games - even go. Many people use it to watch videos when traveling instead of taking a laptop. While I don't feel it can replace a laptop for many things - notably because of the keyboard - many people find that it does just fine.

It's not "just a huge iPod touch." What it does is quite different. The screen size is not just bigger, but presents different ways of doing things, larger spaces to present interfaces.

I'm surprised you have trouble reading on it. With variable backlighting, it's far more flexible than the Kindle. (To me, the Kindle I tried a while ago gave me headaches, so "easier on the eyes" is subjective. Yes, the Kindle is better outdoors...)

To be honest, not being mobile (I work at home), I don't use my iPad a lot. I read some stuff - books and magazines - on it, play go, use SmartGo, and play some other games. I do use it occasionally when I'm sitting outside to check email or Twitter, but I don't compose texts on it, other than, again, when sitting outside, taking notes when I'm reading a book.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:30 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
Mivo wrote:
Right now I'm looking at the HTC Flyer, but won't get one before they have an update ready for Andriod 3.0 (doesn't sound like it'll launch with 3.0).

Yes, this is pretty much the only slate coming out that actually gets it (imo). There are just three problems I have with it:

1) Size. Initially, I was against 7" slates, but after playing with one in a Verizon store, that size is actually really nice. For what I call "media consumption". For actually taking notes? It seems too small. Although, there are notepads smaller than A4, so it could work. So, I call size a problem, but I'd still accept it (I think there may be larger versions set for later).

2) OS. As you say, it's not set to be shipped with Honeycomb (I think I recall hearing it'll be Gingerbread). This is disappointing, but then... I have some reservations about the current state of Honeycomb. And, despite my technology lust, I think I could live with a 2.3 tablet, so long as it does get software updates to correct any actual issues.

3) Release date. This is the killer for me. I am quite set on getting a slate when I get paid in the coming weeks. I have been waiting on a decent tablet for a long time now, and while I don't think anything is really where I want it to be, I'm just too excited about the possibilities to wait anymore. At this point, I think I'm just going to get the wifi Xoom, and hope its issues are fixed soon enough. :/ (And...I might still pick up the Flyer, as a second tablet....)

Post #12 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 pm 
Lives in sente

kirkmc wrote:

Either you don't get it, or you haven't had it long enough.

It's a wonderful device for reading, as imabuddha points out. It's great for certain types of games - even go. Many people use it to watch videos when traveling instead of taking a laptop. While I don't feel it can replace a laptop for many things - notably because of the keyboard - many people find that it does just fine.

It's not "just a huge iPod touch." What it does is quite different. The screen size is not just bigger, but presents different ways of doing things, larger spaces to present interfaces.

I'm surprised you have trouble reading on it. With variable backlighting, it's far more flexible than the Kindle. (To me, the Kindle I tried a while ago gave me headaches, so "easier on the eyes" is subjective. Yes, the Kindle is better outdoors...)

To be honest, not being mobile (I work at home), I don't use my iPad a lot. I read some stuff - books and magazines - on it, play go, use SmartGo, and play some other games. I do use it occasionally when I'm sitting outside to check email or Twitter, but I don't compose texts on it, other than, again, when sitting outside, taking notes when I'm reading a book.

Fair - I've only had it for about 24 hours. I really enjoy the iPad--don't get me wrong. I know some people might prefer it over a Kindle or even an actual book for reading. I just don't. But I've never enjoyed reading books even on a computer monitor, and it is the same to me. That said, I'll read articles, certain pdfs, and work documents on both a computer and the iPad. I just prefer not read read a book that way. Also, if nothing else, a book never runs out of batteries, and the Kindle does so only after several days (weeks? I don't know).

But even though I've really enjoyed this so far, I have to admit it isn't as practical a purchase as a laptop, iPhone, or even iPod.

If you haven't tried World of Goo on it, you're really missing out!

Post #13 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:19 pm 
Lives in sente

I've never liked reading long texts on a computer, but I've read lots of book on the iPad. I think you need to consider that it's not a computer. And adjust the brightness; that makes a difference.

I don't have World of Goo. I do have three different Angry Birds games though. ;-)

Post #14 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 pm 
Lives with ko

judicata wrote:
if nothing else, a book never runs out of batteries, and the Kindle does so only after several days (weeks? I don't know).

The latest (non-DX) Kindle (with 3G/wifi radios turned off) is supposed to last for a month of use between charges. :O

That alone makes me want a Kindle.

I personally don't mind reading ebooks on LCD monitors/devices, but that godly battery! Combine it with something like the CD3WD archive (or at least choice portions of it), and a solar charger, and you've got an amazing survival device.

Sure, practically any device can be used like this (especially with a renewable energy source such as solar power), but the Kindle's battery life means you would be able to use it FAR more frequently, and not have to worry so much about micromanaging whatever charge you're able to get through the day.

Ok, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled tablet discussions now....

Post #15 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:33 pm 
Lives in sente

kirkmc wrote:
I've never liked reading long texts on a computer, but I've read lots of book on the iPad. I think you need to consider that it's not a computer. And adjust the brightness; that makes a difference.

I'll take you up on that, though I doubt I'll ever lose my preference for physical books (a preference based on more than readability), but perhaps I'll reconsider the iPads viability as an e-reader.

Quote:
I don't have World of Goo. I do have three different Angry Birds games though. ;-)

Seriously, great game (of course I have Angry Birds too). World of goo is slightly less mindless (and perhaps more mindless in some ways), and you can get the game on Windows, Mac, or Linux. The price seems a little steep at first, but well worth it (I think there's a demo too).

Post #16 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
I'm not really an Apple fanboy but the Macintosh has been the only major computer in my career. I barely tolerate the time I am forced to use a PC but only because it isso alien. If I spent all of my time at a PC, I would wonder why anyone would want a Mac.
I feel the same about playing go instead of chess, or most other games, and riding recumbents instead of conventional bicycles. I am still amazed at the prejudice folks have about Apple, Macintosh, or 'bents. People will presume much about me knowing only that I use a Mac or ride an unbelievably comfortable bike 5,000 miles a year.

I enjoy my iPad tremendously but it's my wife's unit that has had the deepest impact on our lives. After barely tolerating my online time and other Mac-based hobbies and twenty years of computer-phobia, she has become an online junkie, can't put it down. Now she's even starting to use her digital camera after it's been sitting in a drawer for ten years. She can use Boolean search. she is now in contact with many lost friends and family. The iPad changed her life completely and brought her willingly and eagerly into the 21st century instead of kicking and screaming.

We are eagerly awaiting the iPad3.

David Boise id

This post by bogiesan was liked by 2 people: imabuddha, topazg

Post #17 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm 
Lives in sente

After spending more time with the iPad, I won't back away from my position that it is a huge iPod Touch. But I will extol the virtues of the iPod Touch XL, as it has been more useful (and even more fun) than I had anticipated.

Still, its practical use (at least for most people) will be lower than a laptop and a smartphone.

I still don't see this as an e-reader for me (to the extent I would use an e-reader at all). Adjusting the screen brightness does help, but, among my other complaints, the letters aren't as crisp as I'd like. Perhaps the next iPad will have a higher resolution "retina" display like the iPhone 4 (the iPad 2 does not) which may resolve this problem.

Although many of the programs ("apps") I use are modified iPhone apps, they are far more useful and usable with the larger screen. For example, I was able to quickly look up a statute in a meeting yesterday to answer a question (without having a conspicuous laptop at the meeting). I could have done this on my iPhone, but it would have taken longer.

I was surprised at how easy it was to connect to my work computer (and even that it was possible--I don't have any control over the computer or VNC setup). Same for my home computer running Ubuntu--easy as cake. I wouldn't play KGS games on my iPad (well, technically on my computer using my iPad as an interface)--in part because there is too much lag through the VNC. But I it works for observing.

Post #18 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:45 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
judicata wrote:
Still, its practical use (at least for most people) will be lower than a laptop and a smartphone.
What do most people do with their computers?

I think the iPad will be more useful for most people. Most people hate their computers and are scared to install apps.

Most people I know like their computers, run Firefox or Chrome, and are comfortableish with how these crazy machines work. But I don't know most people.

Post #19 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:20 pm 
Lives in sente

hyperpape wrote:
judicata wrote:
What do most people do with their computers?

I think the iPad will be more useful for most people. Most people hate their computers and are scared to install apps.

Most people I know like their computers, run Firefox or Chrome, and are comfortableish with how these crazy machines work. But I don't know most people.

...right, if you want me to substantiate every vague generalization with quantifiable evidence, no.

But if you want more context--it simply will not replace a typical PC/Mac workstation, and doesn't have much of the software (or versions that are sufficiently powerful) often required for such uses.

If you're marketing this as a laptop replacement, you're the first--Apple doesn't even make that claim.

Post #20 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 pm 
Lives with ko

I would assume that the average computer user uses a computer for (in no particular order): Games, web surfing (with some major specifics: email, youtube, facebook, blogging), watching movies, and listening to music, for entertainment. For work, email, word processing (probably with just the basic functions, which can be easily implemented through the GUI), and they might POSSIBLY have some power point and excel type tasks as well.

I may have missed a couple things that an "average person" will probably use a computer for, but I think these are all the really big things.

I don't have a tablet yet (I have a Droid 2, and am looking at picking up a Xoom in the next couple weeks), so I may be mistaken, but I think that a tablet can cover most those major points, just none very well.

Games: I'm not a computer gamer, instead preferring consoles, but I think most computer gamers practically swear by the keyboard and mouse combo. Obviously, a tablet lacks this, instead basically relying on touch input, and perhaps the accelerometer, GPS, or some other sensor (or combination thereof). While this does create a very interesting new style of gaming, I personally hate every game I have seen so far that has been made for tablets/phones. Of course, this is just me. I also think that the "hardcore gaming" crowd will not be too impressed with tablet gaming. The "average computer user", however, may be satisfied with tablet/phone gaming.

Websurfing: iOS: Very limited. You're never going to get flash, and that's what a lot of sites still rely on. All platforms: The web (aside from very "heavy" websites) will generally be accessible. I guess it depends on what you're looking at. A tablet can in some ways be as good as a computer. Just from using Dolphin HD on my Droid 2, "power features" such as tabbed browsing and plugins are nowhere near the level of a common desktop browsing experience.

A special note for youtube: I don't really care for youtube. The Android 3.0 youtube app looks absolutely amazing, though. I think it'd beat a desktop youtube browsing experience, hands down.

Movies: I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark on this, based on limited reading: The files that a tablet can handle, are handled well. If your collection is already in a compatible format, then both experiences may be comparable. However, I doubt you'll ever be able to just throw in a DVD/BluRay, etc. and watch it, and tablets do have very limited codec support compared to full desktop/laptop computers. Also, I doubt you'll ever get 5.1/7.1 etc surround sound out of a tablet, which you can from a desktop with just a proper sound card (and all the other equipment, of course).

Music: Basically the same thing as for movies.

Office productivity: I think there are some decent office suites available for both iOS and Android, however, any real work will beg for a bluetooth keyboard--thus it's not really a "pure" tablet experience. But, with this keyboard, I think the "average computer user" would be able to get the same amount of use out of a tablet as a more powerful computer.

Special note: ebooks. I think the "average computer user" is more likely to engage in, and enjoy, reading digital books on a tablet, than on a PC. I've personally read many 1000 page books on my desktop and laptop, and perhaps a hundred or so manga scans on my desktop, laptop, and netbook. It's an ok experience, but I think a tablet would make it far more pleasant (and this sentiment seems to be echoed by everyone I've heard or seen talk about ereading, even if they don't have any experience with trying it on their computers).

All in all, I think that a tablet really can be a computer replacement for most people. It is a replacement that will obviously necessitate a certain level of compromise, and perhaps even sacrifice, and in some cases, lower productivity, but, I do believe it is possible. I also think that as technology advances, slates will be the most common "average" computing platform, with laptops being more reserved for coders, or those with very high computing needs, and desktops being almost non-existent (maybe for those with very specialized needs).

I also think that there will be a push along the lines of what Google is doing with Chrome OS: the user's machine is just a client, and the actual computing and storage is off somewhere in the cloud (maybe this is what desktops will be used for). But this is all very hypothetical....