Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
Hello All,

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have invited me to speak on a panel at an event they're running in New York. (Microsoft's Innovation Outreach Programme event on privacy.) After the conference, I'm going to spend a few days in New York to see the sights. (I've heard it's a pretty boring place, but I thought I'd give it a chance. ;))

I've sent out a few Couchsurfing requests, and am waiting to see if anyone is willing to put me up for a few nights.

While I'm in New York, for three days, does anyone have any "must see" advice? Oviously Go-related stuff would be fun, and if there are amazing tea-related shops/cafes/places that would be fun, but I'm open to other things as well. I'm thinking that I might try to get to the opera, if budget and time permits, as that's my personal tradition for time spent alone in a big city.

Of course, if anyone wants to meet up and have a game (or even offer me a place to stay for two nights!) I'd be interested in that too!

Joss

Post subject: Re: Visiting New York
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
When is the event? I wish I could invite you to the NY Go Center, but the Nihon Kiin evicted us to sell the building. But some of us often meet on the weekends, so it just depends on when you're here. For neat shops (not big department stores), I'd hang out in the Village (for example, the Washington Square Park area) for a day. There are all kinds of little shops and cafes tucked away on the narrow streets. There are also a handful of chess clubs within 2 blocks of each other, and some of them have a small selection of go equipment (though I haven't seen anything really nice). Books Kinokuniya at 42nd and 6th in midtown is worth a visit, with an impressive selection of English and Japanese go books.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:33 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
I'm arriving in New York on the evening of the 25th April, and then have the conference for a two full days. That means that I have Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and (most of) Saturday 30th in New York. I fly out of JFK airport at 22:35 on the 30th.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
Thanks for posting your schedule, tealeaf.
I'm sure we can arrange some sort of sending off on Saturday before your flight. We have a friendly group that occasionally meets on weekends.

Weather permitting, we might be able to make use of the tables and Chess and Checkers house in Central Park.

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 am 
Dies with sente

Koosh wrote:
Thanks for posting your schedule, tealeaf.
I'm sure we can arrange some sort of sending off on Saturday before your flight. We have a friendly group that occasionally meets on weekends.

Weather permitting, we might be able to make use of the tables and Chess and Checkers house in Central Park.

Sounds fantastic! One of the very few things on my to-do list for New York was to see the chess in Central Park. Playing Go there would be very cool. :D

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
judicata wrote:
When is the event? I wish I could invite you to the NY Go Center, but the Nihon Kiin evicted us to sell the building. But some of us often meet on the weekends, so it just depends on when you're here. For neat shops (not big department stores), I'd hang out in the Village (for example, the Washington Square Park area) for a day. There are all kinds of little shops and cafes tucked away on the narrow streets. There are also a handful of chess clubs within 2 blocks of each other, and some of them have a small selection of go equipment (though I haven't seen anything really nice). Books Kinokuniya at 42nd and 6th in midtown is worth a visit, with an impressive selection of English and Japanese go books.

Did Kinokuniya move? Last time I was in New York they were at 49th and 5th, near Rockefeller Center. There was a shop selling tasty-looking Japanese food treats next door. They had a nice katsura floor board, keyaki bowls and slate and shell stones for sale at Kinikuniya.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 am 
Lives in sente

gowan wrote:
Did Kinokuniya move? Last time I was in New York they were at 49th and 5th, near Rockefeller Center. There was a shop selling tasty-looking Japanese food treats next door. They had a nice katsura floor board, keyaki bowls and slate and shell stones for sale at Kinikuniya.

When was that? It may very well have moved; I first went there about a year ago, and it was at 42nd & 6th.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 am 
Gosei

I guess the last time I was they was probably 10 or 15 years ago.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 am 
Gosei

judicata wrote:
gowan wrote:

When was that? It may very well have moved; I first went there about a year ago, and it was at 42nd & 6th.

I guess the last time I was there was probably 10 or 15 years ago. I just found out that they did move. This NY Times article gives the details: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/books/26kino.html They moved to their present location in 2007.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 am 
Lives with ko

gowan wrote:
I guess the last time I was there was probably 10 or 15 years ago. I just found out that they did move. This NY Times article gives the details: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/books/26kino.html They moved to their present location in 2007.

Yes, they moved. It was confusing for a little while, because Google Maps had both locations listed until just a few months ago. The Japanese sweets store is now at the old location, I think.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
I wish I could invite you to the NY Go Center, but the Nihon Kiin evicted us to sell the building.

It's going off at tangent, admittedly, but I got the impression that while the Nihon Ki-in was going to sell off the building, they were also going to make sure that they would look after the interests of the club members in somne way. The replies here, whilst displaying the famed friendliness of Americans, don't convey to me that the Nihon Ki-in has actually done anything.

Is this a case of something I've missed, or waiting on the actual sale, or - let's be blunt - welshing on a promise?

Post #12 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:03 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Chess is Washington Square park, not Central park.

I grew up in NYC, but haven't been back in a long time. While I have no idea what sights have been added since I left 25 years ago, I can heartily recommend, if such things interest you, seeing the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is breathtaking. Near-by is the Guggenheim, worth seeing for the art and the architecture.

As for the city itself, go down to Greenwich Village (which is where Washington Square park is) and just wander. You'll see much of the real life of NYC there, both those who live there and those who come there from other areas. My guess is that even 25 years later, Greenwich Village still has that vibrant authenticity.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
John Fairbairn wrote:

It's going off at tangent, admittedly, but I got the impression that while the Nihon Ki-in was going to sell off the building, they were also going to make sure that they would look after the interests of the club members in somne way. The replies here, whilst displaying the famed friendliness of Americans, don't convey to me that the Nihon Ki-in has actually done anything.

Is this a case of something I've missed, or waiting on the actual sale, or - let's be blunt - welshing on a promise?

Not to drag this thread off tangent, but I have about 0 faith in the Nihon Ki-in's desire to help out New York go. Time will tell.

And yes, Kinokuniya did move to a much bigger building :)

I would offer to meet up, but I'll still be at school.

Post #14 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 pm 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:

Some people may be hesitant to comment because they don't want to rub the Nihon Ki-in the wrong way. But it really doesn't matter. Nihon Ki-in's representatives carefully worded their "promise" so that they never actually committed to anything. They also asked for ideas and suggestions to make things work, but then flatly ignored any that were offered. It was purely a face-saving exercise, and I would have significantly more respect for them had they been clear and honest. The optimistic attendees at the meeting where the Nihon Ki-in discussed these issues may have heard that they would provide continued support. But, perhaps because of my natural skepticism, it seemed pretty clear to me that they came to wash their hands of the center and blame everyone for the need to do so.

The building has also been sitting empty without any tenants since November. So one might speculate that they will offer support when the building is sold. I'm not holding my breath. (On a related note, the building has been completely empty, except for all of the go equipment. There is no reason they couldn't have allowed the club to meet at least occasionally if they could cover the basic utilities.)

Back on topic:
Kirkmc - I think you would find that the village (including the area around Washington Sq. Park) has retained much of its character. Some parts are a bit more commercialized (i.e., large chain stores have opened), but many shops, bars, and restaurants on the smaller streets have been there for ages.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 31
GD Posts: 417
KGS: badukboris
Hey Tealeaf, if you need a place to crash for a few nights, my roomates and I all play go, I will double check with them, but i am pretty sure you can crash on our couch.

-B, Go ambassador of NYC

Post #16 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:07 am 
Dies with sente

Hey All,

Thanks for all the offers! Actually, my CouchSurfing request came through, so I'll have a place to stay. I will have a few days free in New York, though, and hopefully I'll get a chance to meet up with some of the local Go players. I've already had a great offer of Go in Central Park. I'll be in touch here to try and sort something out. :)

Joss

Post #17 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
I will also be in NY in a couple of weeks. Between 7th and 14th of mei. I noted Kinokuniya, 42 & 6 :)

Chess in central park, is this a regular meeting place? If so, I would like to visit as well. Would be nice to meet some of you guys.

But I am sorry to hear that NY Go center has problems. Last time I visited NY was two years ago and I had the opportunity to play a couple of nice games with a japanese visitor. It was a lovely place.

Post #18 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
if you are intrested in playing go...there is a place in Queens that is very active.
$10 per day fee and you can play whole day.

it is block away from intersection between union street and northern blvd.
10~15 min walk from 7 train terminal.

i think place is called "jae-il kiwon"

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #19 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 am 
Lives in sente

tealeaf: If you contact wessanenoctupus, he can reach out to a few dozen of us local go players. On any given Saturday, I'm sure a handful will be up for meeting for some games.

As magicwand mentioned, there are two clubs in Queens (Flushing), and wessane has been there a few times if I'm not mistaken.

Post #20 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am 
Lives with ko

No need. I'm collaborating with wessie as we type. :tmbup: