Post subject: Re: Visiting New York
Post #21 Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:30 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 31
GD Posts: 417
KGS: badukboris
Hey guys,

As far as I can tell, weather allowing, we will be meeting to play go in the Brooklyn Botanical Garden next saturday.

There is a cherry blossom festival, so we will be playing, and hopefully making some new players as well.

-B

Post #22 Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
wessanenoctupus wrote:
Hey guys,

As far as I can tell, weather allowing, we will be meeting to play go in the Brooklyn Botanical Garden next saturday.

There is a cherry blossom festival, so we will be playing, and hopefully making some new players as well.

-B

Well, I'm here (and have been for a few days). I like what I've seen so far, including a fantastic night at the Blue Note Jazz Club last night. (I'm off to the Metropolitan Opera in a few hours.) :)

This sounds great, and I'll almost certainly make it, possibly with a Couchsurfer or two in tow. (I still have to finish a paper, unfortunately, so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stay around, but it'll be great to meet some of you.)

What sort of time will you be around, and where exactly? I suppose I should just follow the sound of clicking stones? :)

Joss

Post #23 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:53 am 
Dies with sente

hey Tealeaf. I cant say exactly where it is, but last year it was at the back of the cherry esplanade. We should be there noonish.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:18 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
Hey.

I got to the Botanical Gardens, but the queue was absolutely huge and I really couldn't face standing in it for the hour+ that it looked like taking. I did have a nice walk around Prospect Park, though, so it was worth the trip.

Sorry to miss you all -- maybe next time. :)

Joss

Post #25 Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
I am flying tomorrow to NY. From the webpage I could not see whether NY go center is still active.

For Brooklyn go center, I don't think I will have time because I will be there with my wife. But since my hotel is close to 52nd street, I would like to pay a short visit to NY go center if still active. Please let me know.
Thanks

Post #26 Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
entropi wrote:
I am flying tomorrow to NY. From the webpage I could not see whether NY go center is still active.

For Brooklyn go center, I don't think I will have time because I will be there with my wife. But since my hotel is close to 52nd street, I would like to pay a short visit to NY go center if still active. Please let me know.
Thanks

Many members of the NY Go Center still meet, but the center itself is closed. The center's closing is mentioned on our website, http://www.nygocenter.org/ , and has been discussed here. Will you be here both Saturday and Sunday? If so, let me know; we may be meeting one of those days (probably somewhere more convenient than Brooklyn). Someone might also want to just meet for a game if you're interested.

Post #27 Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
judicata wrote:
Many members of the NY Go Center still meet, but the center itself is closed. The center's closing is mentioned on our website, http://www.nygocenter.org/ , and has been discussed here. Will you be here both Saturday and Sunday? If so, let me know; we may be meeting one of those days (probably somewhere more convenient than Brooklyn). Someone might also want to just meet for a game if you're interested.

Thanks for the info. Indeed this has been mentioned here, but I was confused where and when the eventually regular meetings happen. It seems at random places (?).
I will arrive on saturday but I guess it won't be easy to arrange time for me on weekend because I will be there with my wife. An evening in weekdays would be convenient (like the meeting day of the center), but it appears it is not likely. Anyway, if you happen to arrange a meeting by chance these days, it would be nice from you to shortly pm me. Otherwise, ... next time :)
Cheers

Post #28 Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
entropi wrote:
Thanks for the info. Indeed this has been mentioned here, but I was confused where and when the eventually regular meetings happen. It seems at random places (?).
I will arrive on saturday but I guess it won't be easy to arrange time for me on weekend because I will be there with my wife. An evening in weekdays would be convenient (like the meeting day of the center), but it appears it is not likely. Anyway, if you happen to arrange a meeting by chance these days, it would be nice from you to shortly pm me. Otherwise, ... next time :)
Cheers

Cool. Yes, the meetings are at random times and places (though usually on the weekends). I work in midtown, which I gather is where you're staying. I'll send you a pm.

Post #29 Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:51 pm 
Dies with sente

hey guys..

it seems our primary meeting spot is likely this place

http://www.meetup.com/mostlygo/

If you have a chance tomorrow evening i recommended checking it out.

It is located in the Soho area.