It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: books
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:46 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 1700
Yes, I like to read on a variety of topics.

I read for my children and we head for the library once a week or twice a month (at least after 3 weeks to return).
Last saturday we took 27 items of which
22 for my children (about 10 comics which they finish in 1/2 hour each + about 10 books which they finish in a day).
My children read much faster than me. Their school library encourages them to borrow up to a further 2 books each week.

I took 5 books:
*Musil: Die Verwirrungen des Zöglings Törleß
*Die Hochzeit des Mönchs ist eine Novelle, die 1884 von Conrad Ferdinand Meyer verfasst wurde.
*Ukraine: a guide
*Grisham: The Chamber (Dutch: Het Vonnis), actually my son (11) wanted to read Grishams
and another one, of which I cannot remember the title now.

At the same time, I have lingering around
*Management
*Vorsicht! Manipulation - Unfaire Dialektik erkennen und ihr wirkungsvoll begegnen. (Claudia Grötzebach)
*Andreas Mehringer: Schläge im Namen des Herrn: Die verdrängte Geschichte der Heimkinder in der Bundesrepublik (~ Die Wahrheit ueber Kinderzwangsarbeit in Deutschland = The truth about child slave labour in Germany.)
* Aphorismen - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach (1830-1916)
*Bart de Koning: Alles onder controle. De overheid houdt u in de gaten (read)
*...Dutch: Crimes and punishment in the middle-ages
*Rob Wijnberg: Nietzsche en Kant lezen de krant

So I usually tend to read several books at a time, sometimes even not finishing them.
Non-fiction books are in majority.
If I have discovered a subject, it usually leads to some more books concerning the same subject.

The number of books rises, the number of bought books rises, the number of unread books rises
=> the ratio of unread / read books rises !!! ??? :D

I started to give away some books to a 'Kringloopwinkel' for books
(a 2nd-hand shop for books, where you can give-away your books WITHOUT receiving money, some charity seems also involved there)
and they also sell the books very cheap (Dutch, English, German, French ...)

Discovering this bookshop has lead to buying more books :) :oops:

Contrary to Jordus, I realize that time is running away ... and that I have to be content with reading/enjoying much less than I am interested in.

3dan EGF (AGA no 13477) || Tommie on KGS: 'June'|| DGS: 'Zhi Laohu' 纸老虎 = 'paper tiger' || Senseis : http://senseis.xmp.net/?tderz ||
ENFP (MBTI) - 'Find your own style within the Fundamentals of Go! '

Post subject: Re: books
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Yea, it's a problem for me too. I have several thousand books in my home, and a couple hundred yet to be read. Yet I keep buying new ones, because they're so interesting. On top of that, I've been re-reading books in the past few years; going back to the books that really meant a lot to me in my 20s and 30s. Finding, in some cases, that they really weren't that good, but that in others they have helped give my life meaning.

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 55
Being a high school student with no job I can't really afford to buy lots of books but if I could afford it I would end up with more than I could read.

I like books about the military (the US military mostly) but also on military history and strategy. Currently I'm reading Strategy by B.H. Liddell Hart. I'd like to get A Military History of the Western World by J.F.C. Fuller, it's 3 volumes and it covers military history from ancient Greece all the way through WWII.

Last Summer I also started reading Tom Clancy books and read 6 or 7 of his books so far.

More recently (since I've started playing Go in December) I've also been buying Go books. I currently own 13 Go books including a 6 volume set of Tsumego by Lee Chang Ho.

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
Perception wrote:
Being a high school student with no job I can't really afford to buy lots of books but if I could afford it I would end up with more than I could read.

I like books about the military (the US military mostly) but also on military history and strategy. Currently I'm reading Strategy by B.H. Liddell Hart. I'd like to get A Military History of the Western World by J.F.C. Fuller, it's 3 volumes and it covers military history from ancient Greece all the way through WWII.

Last Summer I also started reading Tom Clancy books and read 6 or 7 of his books so far.

More recently (since I've started playing Go in December) I've also been buying Go books. I currently own 13 Go books including a 6 volume set of Tsumego by Lee Chang Ho.

I read Strategy a few years ago. I thought it was interesting how he thought the only US Civil War general worth mentioning was Sherman. You may enjoy reading Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. Some of the same names come up. Thucydides is interesting for the "speeches." It is required reading for political science majors, but you will likely enjoy it more reading it for fun. I am rereading it right now, actually.