It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
Post #121 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:25 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I guess that England finally got their third goal for Wembley.

Post #122 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Hushfield wrote:
What an utter blunder by the man with the whistle, let alone the other goon with the flag.

What are you talking about? They couldn't possibly tell whether the ball went over the line or not. They can only give the goal if they're sure. The linesman is standing on the offside line, not the goal line.

Post #123 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
quantumf wrote:
What are you talking about? They couldn't possibly tell whether the ball went over the line or not. They can only give the goal if they're sure. The linesman is standing on the offside line, not the goal line.
People at the top of the stadium could see that that ball was over the line, so we can't assume it's that hard for the officials much closer by. And come on, a linesman has only 3 tasks during an entire game, all line-related: check whether a player is offside, check whether a ball goes out of bounds, and check whether such bouncy wembley balls go over the goal line or not. I can understand that, as there are many close calls to make, one can make some mistakes. But puh-lease, this was not close by any means. The guy should have his eyes checked.

[edit]: this post sounds somewhat agressive, I apologize, I have no quarrel with you, good sir. It just seems a really big mistake, and it plays a huge role in the outcome of the game at that level of play.

Post #124 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I couldn't tell from camera in real time that it was a goal, and the refs making the call had to run quite a ways to keep up. It would be a very difficult call to make and be sure of.

As far as Ghana time, I think refs handled it well. The extra time was put in, and the game was pretty much what you would expect at the world cup when a team is up late.

Post #125 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
It was a gross refereeing blunder. I have been both a linesman and a referee (at different times, obviously) at saturday league football matches, and missing something going over the line by well over a foot is inexcusable. In the defence of the referee, it is not his job to spot the ball crossing the line, it is the linesman's, who is supposed to be as close to the goal-line as possible. At that stage he was about 10 yards up the sideline, at which angle it should have been completely obvious. There are some really close and hard balls to judge at times, that was most definitely not one of them.

At local saturday league level, missing that would be really, really bad. At an international tournament, it is completely inexcusable. Yet another clear and obvious reason to have the ability to view replays for critical moments.

That said, Germany completely deserved to win - England were not good, but Germany I thought were excellent today.

This post by topazg was liked by: Hushfield

Post #126 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 am 
Lives in gote

What is this? Goal for Argentina? We need camera's for this sort of thing. Period.

Post #127 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:04 pm 
Lives in sente

quantumf wrote:
Hushfield wrote:
What an utter blunder by the man with the whistle, let alone the other goon with the flag.

On the other hand, the offside Argentina goal was a shocker of the highest order.

Post #128 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 pm 
Lives in sente

topazg wrote:
It was a gross refereeing blunder. I have been both a linesman and a referee (at different times, obviously) at saturday league football matches, and missing something going over the line by well over a foot is inexcusable. In the defence of the referee, it is not his job to spot the ball crossing the line, it is the linesman's, who is supposed to be as close to the goal-line as possible. At that stage he was about 10 yards up the sideline, at which angle it should have been completely obvious. There are some really close and hard balls to judge at times, that was most definitely not one of them.

The referee was about 25-30 yards away, and partially unsighted. It's incredibly unlikely that he could have made the call. The linesman was a bit more than 10 yards up the sideline, I thought he was more in line with the 18 yard line. Given the frequency with which these mistakes are made by top officials at the highest level, it's clearly not as easy as you imply.

Personally, I'm somewhat mixed about the benefit of technology. I reckon its FIFA's opinion that the controversy generates interest, publicity and hype, and hence sponsors. Hard to argue with that. The only people I feel sorry for are the officials who get vilified for making inevitable mistakes.

Post #129 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Today's referees have tapped into the dark side of the whistle.

Post #130 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I have just heard this opinion that the mistakes stemming from not having video analysis affect the game would "increase drama" and thus add interest to the game. I think that this is complete nonsense. This is rather the kind of drama that makes people turn away from this sport.

The only counter argument against video analysis is that it will seem conclusive, but may not always be. For example, look at the foul against Fernando Torres in the Chile-Spain game (which led to yellow-red): from the side, it seems like Torres was just lightly touched, if at all; from behind, you see that there was quite some force at work there. Now, what if the camera from behind was missing? Who would have the final word, the main referee or the guy at the video screen? If the main referee has seen exactly what was going on, but the video seems to contradict him, how would he be able to overrule the seeming "proof", when everyone else has only seen the video? There need to be quite high standards for the conclusiveness of video footage, and it would take a lot of experience to see how the video may be mistaken.

So, this is a genuine counter argument, but I think that the FIFA should take a closer look at this option.

Post #131 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 16
Agree Harleqin, there would have to be some well thought out limits on when video replay would apply. Such as - gasp! - goal/no goal calls. A camera on each goal line (which is there anyway!!) and there is never a wrong call again. The NFL (American football) has a well tuned replay process, that excludes a variety of judgement calls from review, such as pass interference, holding, etc. It can be done and FIFA knows it.

OK, so the fools at FIFA (president in particular) are dead set against replay. It would slow the game too much? I don't agree with that. But even if you accept that argument - put an extra offical on each goal line for crying out loud. This is the freaking World Cup, and they have exactly as many officials on the field as at my son's U12 games. It's a total disgrace IMO.

And please, another official on the field as well. Then you would always have two views from different angles on fouls, handballs, etc.

The solutions are so obvious and simple, that the only rational conclusion is that FIFA wants these atrocious calls to continue happening, even (especially?) in the World Cup.

Post #132 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d

This post by Solomon was liked by 4 people: Hushfield, karaklis, tj86430, topazg

Post #133 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm 
Lives in sente

Harleqin wrote:
I have just heard this opinion that the mistakes stemming from not having video analysis affect the game would "increase drama" and thus add interest to the game. I think that this is complete nonsense. This is rather the kind of drama that makes people turn away from this sport.

For evidence, I refer you to all the posts on this mistake on this (non-football) forum.

Post #134 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Araban wrote:
optical illusions
I lolled.

Post #135 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Hushfield wrote:
Araban wrote:
optical illusions
I lolled.

Very much so.

Post #136 Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Araban wrote:

Actually, it wasn't a goal.

Post #137 Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
This was a very bad referee mistake, nevertheless the english team should have played better in the second half. I think with this performance the germanteam deserved the win, hopefully we'll see a great Argentinia - Germany match!

Post #138 Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame

lets hope we get a fair referee :D

Post #139 Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:02 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
freegame wrote:

lets hope we get a fair referee :D

oranje boven
:D

Post #140 Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:29 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
mega lol!!!!XDDDDDDD.......

but now im going to cry...because i can't forget that italy lost in this way.............
4 years has changed everything.....however also the second of 2006 lost like us XDDD....so....
And now.......Go Japan!!!!XDD

I Dream a japan like in captain tsubasa XDD

Proprio come un Dio.
Su questa tavola....Io sono un Dio!"

10 kyu

I'm
VALERIO FROM ITALY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next