It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surrounding Game Screening Launch
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in forever, but wanted to share this news about the Surrounding Game movie, a film I've helped out with for a while now:

Today we are launching theatrical screenings for The Surrounding Game, the first feature documentary about the world of Go! The first wave of summer screenings include:
Toronto (6/10)
San Francisco (6/10-11)
Boston (6/28)
New York City (6/29)
Barcelona (7/07)
Int'l Chess & Games Festival in Pardubice, Czech Republic (7/14)
Berlin (7/18)
Amsterdam (7/20)
The European Go Congress in Oberhof, Germany (7/24)
The US Go Congress in San Diego, CA (8/05).
Tickets are available now at www.surroundinggamemovie.com/screenings.
At the same time, we are offering opportunities for volunteers to host a screening in their own community. So if you want to see the film play in your area, we’ll help you make it happen! Info here: www.surroundinggamemovie.com/host-a-screening.

In director Will's words:

"For fifty years, the Go community in the West has struggled with outreach. There is so much passion for this game among the community, yet more often than not it falls on deaf ears. I humbly believe that the medium of film can engage people with the game in an entirely new way, on an emotional level: by not just teaching the game, but telling a story.
So I am asking for your help. This week is the AlphaGo Future-of-Go summit, and more people will be tuning in to Go than ever before. So if you support the idea, please take a minute this week to share the news with your network. We will be posting all the information to our website and facebook page, and if you’d like promotional materials or have any questions, feel free to shoot us a message at info@surroundinggamemovie.com.
We are so proud of this film, and I want to thank everyone in the community who helped make this dream possible. Making this film over the past 5 years has been a life-changing process for me, and I hope you will find in it something deep and beautiful.
This is our chance to bring the World of Go to the world at large. See you at the theater.
-Will"

The film really is fascinating, so I hope many of you will get the chance to see it!

This post by Jedo was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Kirby