It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 European Go Yearbook
Post #1 Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Murugandi
Hello everyone, my name is Kim Ouweleen, also known as Murugandi. I'm a 4 dan go player from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and would like to share some exciting news with you.
For the first time, the European Go Federation has published a yearbook about European Go! I am the author of the book and I have worked on it for the better part of the last half a year. I'm proud to announce that it was officially released at the EGC in Oberhof last month and is now for sale online.

The 2016 European Go Yearbook covers the major European go happenings of last year, including:

• Interviews with newly promoted professionals Artem Kachanovskyi 1p and Antti Törmänen 1p.
  • An extensive catalogue of all the National Championships in Europe, including reports on Main Championships, Women's Championships and Youth Championships, accompanied by personal interviews with the champions.
  • Reports and beautiful photos of Major European Tournaments and Events, such as the 60th Polymetal European Go Congress, the 2nd European Go Grand Slam and the 3rd European Professional Qualification.
  • An in-depth chapter of 80 pages on AlphaGo and the Rise of Artificial Intelligence in Go, with game commentaries by Fan Hui 2p, Gu Li 9p, Zhou Ruiyang 9p and Myungwan Kim 9p.
  • Many game records and commentaries by top European players, including:
    - Yoon Young Sun 8p
    - Guo Juan 5p
    - Cătălin Țăranu 5p
    - Alexandre Dinerchtein 3p
    - Svetlana Shikshina 3p
    - Fan Hui 2p
    - Diána Kőszegi 1p
    - Ali Jabarin 1p
    - Pavol Lisý 1p
    - Artem Kachanovskyi 1p
    - Ilya Shikshin 1p
    - Mateusz Surma 1p
    - Antti Törmänen 1p
    - Junfu Dai 8d
    - Lukáš Podpěra 7d
    - Cristian Pop 7d
    - Cornel Burzo 6d
    - Merlijn Kuin 6d
    - Tanguy Le Calvé 6d
    - Viktor Lin 6d
    - Matthew Macfadyen 6d

More information, including three pdf-previews of the book can be found at http://eurogofed.org/yearbook/.
If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Thank you,
Kim Ouweleen

Attachments:
19832367_1961192300763797_430301206_n.jpg
19832367_1961192300763797_430301206_n.jpg [ 32.68 KiB | Viewed 3699 times ]

This post by Murugandi was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, Ember, gamesorry, Waylon

Post subject: Re: 2016 European Go Yearbook
Post #2 Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
I bought it at the EGC in Oberhof and I love it! Of course, I haven't had the time to read it thoroughly from cover to cover, but I already flipped through it several times and was always impressed with the high quality, especially (but not limitted to) when it comes to the paper and printing. Only thing I'd prefer next time (I really hope there'll be another book next year and after that and... you get the idea ;-) ) is a sturdier cover. My copy already has suffered a little damage on the way back home although I treated it very carefully.

The price is, of course, not very cheap (although a LOT of work must've been put in this book to make it and I'm not sure the price can cover all those hours). I have ti admit that I probably wouldn't have bought the book because of that fact if I hadn't had the chance to see it for myself and flip through it. Still, I cannot recomment it high enough. There are a few minor mistakes in it (naming of tables is one thing that springs to my mind), but it's a great book nonetheless and a wonderful collection of the go life in Europe!

This post by Ember was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: 2016 European Go Yearbook
Post #3 Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Murugandi
Thank you Ember. I'm happy to hear you enjoy the book! As a writer and a perfectionist, it's always painful to hear about mistakes, but I'm glad they are minor. About the softcover: I completely agree with you. My wish for the book was hardcover from the start, especially because of the large number of pages, but due to a shortage on time the EGF struggled with finding an affordable printing house for hardcover.

About the future: I hope many more yearbooks will follow! It is unclear at this point, but the EGF has expressed enthusiasm. I will make sure to let you know here if I know more about a next edition!

This post by Murugandi was liked by: Ember