It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the Multilingual Go Book Project begins!
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:54 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
KGS: Jeth
IGS: Jeth
DGS: Jeth_Orensin
OGS: JethOrensin
Hello everyone! I would like to announce the opening of the Multilingual Go Book Project. In its beginning the project already provides for free a book about Go that is written for beginners and kyu players. The book is provided in two languages and it is 192 pages long and contains over 700 diagrams, explained with as much detail as possible.

I do not want to bore you with details, everything is explained at the project's website were you can download the books. It would be delightful if you could help in any way to translate the book in MORE languages, so that we can help promote Go in more countries.

https://www.gobook.eu/

I hope you will find it useful,
H. Kapolos (Jeth Orensin)

This post by JethOrensin was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, dsatkas, Elom, sybob

Post subject: Re: the Multilingual Go Book Project begins!
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 224
Was liked: 114
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Great initiative!
I want to contribute by making a Dutch language version (Nederlands/Vlaams/Belgisch).

Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
KGS: Jeth
IGS: Jeth
DGS: Jeth_Orensin
OGS: JethOrensin
I am very happy to have already received emails from people wanting to help with the translation :) That was a very pleasant surprise!

The plan for the other translations is for the content to be issued and uploaded per chapter. That way players from other countries will have a slightly steady input of content and if/when all chapters are translated then they can be issued all together, like the rest.

I think that idea also helps the translators, since they will be able to make things at their own pace and leisure :) So, there will be no deadlines since we do not have any publishers to push us for time. Everyone can contribute as much and whenever they can.

Since the diagrams are the same in each version, only the text needs to be translated and I was thinking about having a shared platform where all the translators could edit the texts they wanted. I have not determined in which way this will be achieved yet (since I was focused on launching the project), but I will see what that platform will be. I imagine that having the english text on on the left and anyone being able to right the translation on the right, is going to work well, and in that way noone will make duplicate work.

I will gather the names of the people interested to help and send them all another e-mail in January to inform them about the process.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 7737
Was liked: 878
Universal go server handle: trohde
AWESOME project, thank you!