It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great news - kokokokoko kokokoko kokoko
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Get out the bunting, pour yourself a wee dram, wet your knickers or do whatever you do whenever you get excited by great news - the new GoGoD is here!!!

After a long lay-off due to the dispiriting atmosphere of the pandemic, I am issuing the Autumn 2021 the sgf database with almost 112,500 games, and with the Names Dictionary updated to almost 4,500 entries. See www.gogodonline.co.uk for details. Obviously SmartGo is simultaneously issuing the same package.

This edition has 149 games by Nakamura Sumire. Good progress is being made on adding Shuwa games (currently 313) and many old Chinese games have been added (but NOT the new Huang Longshi games - I am saving those for the upcoming doorstep book.) I have also been filling in gaps in older Japanese games, but that's a bit depressing because the pile of games to transcribe never seems to get any smaller (it's a foot high).

Some other figures may be of interest. Cho Chikun leads the way with 2454 games. Cho Hun-hyeon follows with 2039 and his pupil Yi Ch'ang-ho has 2007. Go Seigen irritatingly is stuck just 3 short of 900. I know there are some more in Hokkaido but I can't get there at present. Huang Longshi is at 112 in this edition, but in my private copy he's at about 130. Something to look forward to in the next edition!

And as the title half-tells you - there are two quintuple ko games, 31 quadruple kos and 33 triple kos. See - I even have a (small) soft spot for rules mavens.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: CDavis7M, dhu163, Ferran, gowan

Post subject: Re: Great news - kokokokoko kokokoko kokoko
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Very nice update. Just looking at the number of lines in GameData.txt, are there really 14,008 new SGFs since 2019? Wow. Thank you. I'm curious, does this include everything from the 2020 and 2021 Go Yearbooks (囲碁年鑑)?

I'm happy to see more Shuwa games. Even though I haven't gone through all the ones I have. A quick check and I wonder if GoGoD is still missing a game with Matsujiro Ito that I have in Sugiuchi's book. So then I will look forward to the next update.

Also, thanks for including the NamesXML. It has helped me identify Yasui Shuntetsu and others, not to mention the name changes.