It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: FREE Download of Moyo Go Studio 2009 and game packs
Post #21 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Quote:
True, I have not found, not even after years of searching, any credible evidence that people ever were gassed and incinerated by the Nazi’s[...]

...I'm not downloading this software even if it were the last exe-file on the globe.

This post by Jonas was liked by 5 people: blaubaer, ChradH, Mnemonic, SoDesuNe, zinger

Post #22 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
Jonas wrote:
...I'm not downloading this software even if it were the last exe-file on the globe.

your loss...

It's nice software. What the guy believes in or not does not change that.

Post #23 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
I must admit, I don't quite understand why people wouldn't download the software as free just because it's author has those kind of views. Walt Disney was known for his right wing extremism, but that doesn't stop most people buying Disney films.

It was one thing when it was still costing money, and that money went towards holocaust denialists, because then the money you put forward may go to a cause you despise, but if it is free?

This post by topazg was liked by 2 people: CarlJung, Gene

Post #24 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:30 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
freegame wrote:
It's nice software. What the guy believes in or not does not change that.

Pretty much my thoughts. If it was commercial, and I suspected that my money would support something I find questionable, I might not buy it, but as long as it's a free download, the author can have his opinions; I don't feel that I support them in any way if I download his software.

e: topazg was quicker

Post #25 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Maybe you are right, but personally (and after reading his blog) I've the feeling that downloading the software provides him some kind of acknowledgement that I'm not willing to give him.

This post by Jonas was liked by: SoDesuNe

Post #26 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Jonas wrote:
Maybe you are right, but personally (and after reading his blog) I've the feeling that downloading the software provides him some kind of acknowledgement that I'm not willing to give him.

I have no problem acknowledging that his software is jaw droppingly cool (the instant pattern matching). But that in itself does not make me share or even acknowledge any other view he might have. I see and understand your view, I just see it slightly different.

Post #27 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Jonas wrote:

Same here.

And by the way, I don't consider anything a loss, what I never desired to have.

For what it's worth: Disney died 1966, that's just 12 years after the us-principle "seperate but equal" got officially rejected by the supreme court. You can't compare something, which was largely (well, white majority~) accepted through all levels of society to this time with something that is nowadays well investigated, proved and accepted by all legitimate states in the world.

Post #28 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 am 
Tengen

SoDesuNe wrote:
For what it's worth: Disney died 1966, that's just 12 years after the us-principle "seperate but equal" got officially rejected by the supreme court. You can't compare something, which was largely (well, white majority~) accepted through all levels of society to this time with something that is nowadays well investigated, proved and accepted by all legitimate states in the world.

I believe you can, because the point isn't the general acceptability of it, it's the individual's desire to not be seen to support something they feel is anywhere between unpleasant and abhorrent. It doesn't matter whether that is political, religious, based on race / gender / ethnicity, so the gravitas of the comparison is irrelevant - the issue being raised here is to whether or not an individual is supporting the views of the author of software by downloading said software. I can understand Jonas' point that it feels like an acknowledgement that he is unwilling to make.

I found Frank repeatedly impossible to talk to, on even completely non controversial issues. I find some of his political views extremely disagreeable. Even specifically regards to MoyoGo itself, I feel that his acquirement of his professional game Go database was underhanded.

However, at the same time, I am happy to acknowledge that his software is really very good. If the money was going to a cause I believed was wrong, I wouldn't pay for it. If I believed the money was supporting action on the software (such as stealing other people's code or databases), I wouldn't pay for it. If it is free, and high quality, I will happily download it without a belief that I am funding, supporting, or endorsing any of his beliefs, views or practices. I see them as non-associated issues.

EDIT: I'm also not trying to make a point that my way is right either. I think Jonas has every right to feel fully justified in his decision. I just think there are different ways to view the whole issue, and that I and others that don't have the same issue with downloading the software also have every right to feel justified.

Post #29 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 16
I'm with Jonas. I don't want to be associated, pay or free.

Furthermore if I download the game database, I would have the nagging feeling that, in a roundabout way, I have stolen something. Would you accept, say, a stolen laptop as a gift?

Anyway I have previously purchased SmartGo for its game database/search and I am happy with it.

Post #30 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 am 
Gosei

zinger wrote:
Would you accept, say, a stolen laptop as a gift?

No, if I knew it was stolen. It would also be illegal (in Finland).

Tell me more about the databases, I'm not aware of the story.

Post #31 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:10 am 
Tengen

zinger wrote:
Would you accept, say, a stolen laptop as a gift?

No, but it's not a very precise analogy. A better analogy would be a non-stolen laptop with unlicensed software on it. In which case, if I already owned a license to the other software in my name, then yes I would. Otherwise I would remove the software or get a license for the software. This analogy fits I think in each case.

Post #32 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Jonas wrote:
Quote:
True, I have not found, not even after years of searching, any credible evidence that people ever were gassed and incinerated by the Nazi’s[...]

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a problem with apostrophe abuse. ;-)

This post by Fedya was liked by 4 people: Chew Terr, ChradH, daal, quantumf

Post #33 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
Disregarding the paid / free issue, can you trust this kind of software vendor ? How can you be sure that there's no malicious code inside ? You can't, so you have to trust the vendor to use it.

Post #34 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:07 am 
Lives in gote

Frank has stated before that he has choosen not to even install a remote license validation (or something similar, I'm not 100% sure), something that is widely used by others, in an effort not to cause paying customers any inconvenience.

That said, with the free version we aren't paying customers and he has changed his mind on more serious issues than license validation in the past so perhaps the above doesn't mean anything.

Post #35 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I don't know much about the Frank debate, but I don't have any real qualms against him. I don't "hate" anybody in this world. That's the thing I like about my signature - to know all is to forgive all.

From the little I've seen of Frank, he seems to have wild opinions... But if I understood Frank more, maybe I could relate to him. The same goes for anyone - even people I disagree with or get mad at.

So for me, it comes down to considering if downloading the software is wrong. It's free, so I'm certainly not supporting a bad cause. The only reason I can think of not downloading the software would be if I had a thing against Frank. But as explained earlier, I don't really have a thing against anybody - I just don't understand every person all of the time. But with enough understanding, I would.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bantari

Post #36 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 am 
Gosei

lorill wrote:
Disregarding the paid / free issue, can you trust this kind of software vendor ? How can you be sure that there's no malicious code inside ? You can't, so you have to trust the vendor to use it.

If you don't trust the vendor and you don't trust anti-virus/malware tools, then you can always run it in a virtual machine.

Post #37 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 32
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 60
CarlJung wrote:
Here's instructions for Vista:

In Explorer, right click "Computer". Choose properties.
Click "Advanvced system settings".
Choose the "Advanced" tab.
In Performance section, click "Settings".
In "Performance Options" dialog, choose "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"
Click "Add..." button. Browse to the "Setup2009.exe" program (the main install).
Select Open, ok, apply or whatever it takes. You will be prompted to restart the computer.
Restart computer.
Start the Setup2009.exe program.
Install away...

You might need to add the databases as exceptions as well if you are going to install those. I haven't tried those so I don't know.
I did this, and it seemed to install fine, but when I try to run the app, I just get a bunch of errors that say "Not enough storage is available to process this command." and "The parameter is incorrect." Should I also add moyogo.exe to the DEP exception list?

Post #38 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 am 
Lives in gote

MountainGo wrote:
I did this, and it seemed to install fine, but when I try to run the app, I just get a bunch of errors that say "Not enough storage is available to process this command." and "The parameter is incorrect." Should I also add moyogo.exe to the DEP exception list?

No. Check the troubleshooting section of the manual on moyogo.com. A solution is described there, hopefully it works for you.

Post #39 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 32
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 60
Thanks, Carl. That's my bad for not checking the manual. Creating the registry key he suggested seems to have worked (hell if I understand all that, though). Hilariously, though, everything seemed to be working perfectly except for the fact that the board didn't show up, even when I chose it in the "show" menu. However, I got it to come up by choosing a window layout under Settings.

Post #40 Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Does the software works on a 32 bits machin running with windows 7?When I download it and try to start the install file,an error message appears saying download didn't succeed.Any helping ideas?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next