All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zero effort Wbaduk NGF to SGF tool available
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Hi all.

I have made a little tool that converts Wbaduk NGF files to SGF. This enables you to review the games in your favourite editor instead of settling with the Wbaduk client. The difference to other converters is that once configured you can forget about it. When you finish a game on Wbaduk, you'll instantly get the SGF in the folder you have set up.

It runs on Windows.

http://wbadukngf2sgf.sourceforge.net/

PS. It will prompt for administrator rights in order to install and when you configure it. If you feel uneasy about this you can download the source and see for yourself what it does.
PS2. If you find any bugs I'm most interested to know. It works on everything I have thrown at it but there might be something I have missed.

This post by CarlJung was liked by 5 people: Chew Terr, Jonas, ketchup, rubin427, Solomon

Post subject: Re: Zero effort Wbaduk NGF to SGF tool available
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
CarlJung wrote:
Hi all.

I have made a little tool that converts Wbaduk NGF files to SGF. This enables you to review the games in your favourite editor instead of settling with the Wbaduk client. The difference to other converters is that once configured you can forget about it. When you finish a game on Wbaduk, you'll instantly get the SGF in the folder you have set up.

It runs on Windows.

PS. It will prompt for administrator rights in order to install and when you configure it. If you feel uneasy about this you can download the source and see for yourself what it does.
PS2. If you find any bugs I'm most interested to know. It works on everything I have thrown at it but there might be something I have missed.

Good Software:)
As i know there are several Version of NGF Format .

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Released version 1.0.2.

This release adds support for an unusual case where the result of the game is not following the normal pattern. Not even Wbaduk's own NGF to SGF converter could read the file :)

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Will you make a port for people who do not use your niche operating system?

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:53 pm 
Lives in gote

:)

Perhaps. If it happens it will be in the form of a command line tool, and it will require the mono runtime. But I assume command line tools would be preferred anyway for those using mainstream unix like operating systems :)

The reason it hasn't happened yet is because Windows' command shell doesn't support globbing (e.g. *.ngf) so you have to do that yourself in the application. That's seriously uncool.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
Just use mobaxterm or any other cygwin related tool. That's pretty nice for those locked into unsupported systems :)

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
I'm not sure if I like a service using .net. Doesn't that eat a bit much memory for something running in the background all the time?

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Right after starting my computer it has allocated 3.3MB. Perhaps it might get down a little if something gets garbage collected after a while. But not much. At least I see that as no big deal. Even if it was double it's size I don't think I would ever notice it affecting anything.

About running in the background. It's not actually doing anything. It just sits there waiting for anything to happen on the folder it is configured to look at. It doesn't poll at regular times, it gets notified from the file system. So it just sits there doing nothing until something of interest happens.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 78
MultiGo can easily open all wbaduk games and save them as SGF

Post #10 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 pm 
Lives in gote

nexik wrote:
MultiGo can easily open all wbaduk games and save them as SGF

Nope. It fails on one of my files.

That detail aside, what I wanted to do with this program was bring the review phase one step closer. With this program installed you don't have to explicitly open the file in MultiGo, save as sgf, open the sgf in the editor you use for reviewing. You just go to the sgf folder where the file is already waiting for you. Maybe I'm lazy but I find that if I have to jump through too many hoops in order to look things up I end up not doing it. This was my way of alleviating that.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 78
If you use other program, your software is helpful. I personally use multigo as my major software. I review all the games in it. Also made all diagram for my website in it. But this is for another topic ;p