It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New SGFEditor Open Source
Post #1 Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
There is a new SGF Editor with source code in (Iron)Python and C# under the Apache 2.0 license at sgfeditor.codeplex.com. It is a work in progress with many commands implemented, but the game tree view is not integrated into all operations and only displays when explicitly invoked currently.

See more info at sgfeditor.codeplex.com -- project overview, screen shot, help text of commands.

Bill

This post by billchiles was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: New SGFEditor Open Source
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
I had a look at the project so I give you some feedback.
First my compliments and best wishes for your daring project.
1. I like the option to move/copy branches. The more freedom here, the better. ¿Even across games, mirrored or rotated?
2. I like the Open Source.
3. I am not sure there is a Undo function. I would prefer if there is one. Deleting branches one might want to undo.
4. you might include more mirror and rotate functions: for colour and board orientation.
5. I would like a function that enables me to repair a misplaced stone halfway game or in a move sequence or in a sgf without disturbing the remainder.
6. I have some doubts whether your code is well suited to absorb new functionalities. You wrote you will have your code reviewed by some code hacker. You'd better listen to him in this repect because I am no expert ( any more ).
7. You might propose the moderators to move this thread to the computer go sub forum. Maybe you receive some more and better comments.
8. You might describe in what respects you want to improve upon existing editors. For me, I am quite happy with Drago. Though I would prefer it to be Open Source. ( to add my own petty functionality )
9. I couldn't find how you handle ko.
10. I know a good scoring function is quite difficult to implement. But a primitive one in which the territories are marked by the players and counted by the program is useful.
11. Is there any executable to try?
12. Your adornements don't include all the sgf possibilities; circles are missing. You might consider further extension. Adornements for empty points, for influence and for territory in different colors and textures.

This post by cyclops was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 35
KGS: clemi
The screenshot is great ! Although the board is very simple, I think it would be very comfortable to play on it. Good luck in your work.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:11 pm 
Beginner

Hi, cyclops. Thanks for taking a look and all the feedback! Just a few responses ...

1. Yes, a clipboard format that could paste across sessions would be interesting. A lot of what I implemented while learning WPF was what I use when reviewing games, or as you said somewhere, little things I've wanted :-). I only cut/paste within a single game, but I hear you on the comment.

3. Only undo is going back a move and creating a branching move. You can then cut the move you did not like. If you paste immediately after cutting, it is effectively and undo. But, yes, you are right that a very clear undo button would be nice.

5. I repair misplaced stones by going back, making the move I want, cutting the part I like from the old branch, pasting it where it should after the new move, then deleting the dangling move (if any).

6. I have discussed the general design off on and on with folks, and I think the basic architecture is fine in terms of layers, an MVVC, etc., but yeah, substantial new functionality may require some more isolation and restructuring of abstractions or factoring of code into more files/classes. Also, the code review will shine a light on many cleanups :-).

9. Yeah, I don't handle ko yet for disallowing moves, which I should document in the notes.txt file. This is something I should add soon to be more useful as just a go board :-).

10. I like the idea of the primitive scoring functionality and will add a note about that.

11. I created a "Just a Build" v0.7 release on the downloads page to just get a .zip of the executable since a couple of people asked about that.

12. Yeah, I lack several adornments. My excuse is I worried about those I see in 99% of games I edit today and review, but I'm short of the full sgf spec. I document some in the code, but I will update the notes.txt file with a more clear list of what's missing, which can serve as a punch list of things to get to :-).

Thanks again!
Bill

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 pm 
Beginner

I just pushed the first "working" port to a C# Windows 8 Windows App Store version. It does not having the tree drawing code ported yet and definitely needs some work before it would pass the WACK or store submission process. I need to test it more as well, just is sort of a first complete punch through, but that's about it.

Cheers,
Bill

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm 
Beginner

Hey again. I finished the port of the C#/WPF desktop version to the C#/Win8 version. I created a new alpha release with sources and a binary for the desktop and an appx for win8. You can't run the appx on win8 without a dev license, but you can open the project in Visual Studio and hit F5 to run it. The win8 version still is not beautiful, and while it passes the local store compliance test, I'm sure it wouldn't pass the store submission process. For example, it doesn't continually persist state and resume to the current state after being suspended. It is an alpha :-).

sgfeditor.codeplex.com

Cheers,
Bill

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm 
Beginner

I wanted to update the few followers that there have been several checkins since the last posting. I would have built a second alpha release, but I wanted to get file association working so that you could double click an .sgf file to open it (in the win8 version).

Since the last release, 26 JAN, I've:
* cleaned up several little things in the code/comments
* disbling UI while parsing file on open command and displaying game
* added "title" bar under command buttons to see file name and current move number
* fixed letter adornments to have background so that board lines do not go through the letters
* set preferred launch of win8 version to be landscape
* removed some old python files never meant to be checked in
* implemented jumping to a move by clicking on game tree
* fixed current game tree node highlighting
* fixed bug where end key and end button didn't behave the same
* fixed bug in gotolastmove so that it calls UpdateTitle
* fixed game tree drawing bug
* removed some uses of 'dynamic'
* added letters and numerals to board display for referencing intersections
* implemented win8 snapped view (requirement of store compliance)
* fixed bug in python version
* game tree no fully works with Move and ParsedNode (rendered moves and moves just parsed)
* added scrollable help dialog since win8 msgbox doesn't handle help string
* implemented my own debug.assert due to win8 bug

All that's checked into latest sources on sgfeditor.codeplex.com.

Things to do before submitting win8 version to store:
* test with touch and Surface
* add some auto saving to temp file
* add appropriate try/catch to UI event handlers (if any)
* maybe port win8 title bar idea to WPF/desktop version as well as scrolling help
* fix file associatio so that can dbl click file in explorer to launch

I'll put out an alpha 2 later this week!

Cheers,
Bill

Post #8 Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 109
KGS: Soji
DGS: Soji
Online playing schedule: KGS usually Friday 20:00-23:00
I’ll be looking out for updates. It would be great to be able to open and edit sgf files on my Surface. If you need testers, let me know :)

Post #9 Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 8
KGS: gurujeet
DGS: gfromdc
This is coming along nicely, Bill. Just downloaded source and compiled on a Win 8 Lenovo Twist. Can't wait to see it in the app store!

- gurujeet

Post #10 Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 pm 
Beginner

Amelia and gurujeet, thanks! Brave soles willing to download, play with the app, and send me feedback are very appreciated. I'm currently in the mode of using it to review my lessons, but I'll admit that I fixed several bugs from my real usage :-). I'm feeling more confident, but I'd save frequently or work on a copy of a file you really care about. I had hoped to push to the store by end of FEB, but it likely will be in MAR since I really think I should beat on it more :-).

Cheers!
Bill

Post #11 Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 pm 
Beginner

I just pushed a new Alpha 2 release on codeplex: https://sgfeditor.codeplex.com/releases/view/102405

Super high level, this release has a few new features (tree view graph is live now), several bug fixes, UI cleanups, all commands represented in the Win8 App Bar (right click) that were previously only keyboard enabled. The app is fully touch enabled now and has a static snap view (the little narrow view of apps). The static view is current each time you snap, but this view is so small, it is not easy to really edit in it. It passes the Windows App Compliance Kit test on my Surface Pro, so presumably it would pass a submission to the store now.

From the release notes ...

This release includes sources for the python version (though it is falling pretty far behind the C# version in terms of functionality and bug fixes), C# WPF desktop version, and the C# WinRT/Win8 version. There is a binary for WPF and a .appx for win8, but you must have a dev license to use the appx to unlock your win8 machine which you can only get by opening a win8 project in Visual Studio. There is a free versio of Visual Studio Express for Win8 development.

Since the last release, 26 JAN -- all functional changes in both C# versions
* cleaned up several little things in the code/comments
* disbling UI while parsing file on open command and displaying game
* added "title" bar under command buttons to see file name and current move number
* fixed letter adornments to have background so that board lines do not go through the letters
* set preferred launch of win8 version to be landscape
* removed some old python files never meant to be checked in
* implemented jumping to a move by clicking on game tree
* fixed current game tree node highlighting
* fixed bug where end key and end button didn't behave the same
* fixed bug in gotolastmove so that it calls UpdateTitle
* fixed game tree drawing bug
* removed some uses of 'dynamic'
* added letters and numerals to board display for referencing intersections
* implemented win8 snapped view (requirement of store compliance)
* fixed bug in python version
* game tree now fully works with Move and ParsedNode (rendered moves and moves just parsed)
* added scrollable help dialog since win8 msgbox doesn't handle help string
* implemented my own debug.assert due to win8 bug
* added size change handler to board to keep it square on win8 devices
* fixed writegame to set filename and not deref null in some cases
* fixed branch combo label alignment with stackpanel
* fixed jumping in game tree to save comments, restore destination move comments
* added some margin padding to right board index labels so the feel less squished
* fixed writegame to test for letter adornments grid hack workaround for win8 background
* fixed writegame/parsedgamefromgame to store new parsedgame since we re-use parsednodes
* fixed parsednode handling in pasting moves
* centered title in title bar
* fixed bug in UpdateParsedGameFromGame to store branch for root
* added integrity checking code on tree view and write game structures
* added lots of stuff to app bar, with some code cleanups
* moved UpdateParsedGameFromGame to be instance method of Game
* tweaked buttons margins to make cmd panel more appealing, figured out button problems
* fixed copy/paste error in scrolling tree view
* added cleaned up icons
* tree view graph is now always active and up to date
* fixed cut bug holding onto dead stones from cut location
* fixed paste bug not checking for dead stones on paste
* disallow paste if cut move conflicts with current stone on board
* fixed moving branches up and down to mark game dirty and update title
* fixed cut/paste to update title
* fixed title to show dirty / saved state of game
* made square and triangle adornments bigger, made triangle lines lighter
* made cut move default to no in confirmation dialog (though pasting is undo)
* updated notes on python version falling behind in terms of features and bug fixes

This post by billchiles was liked by: Bonobo

Post #12 Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
cyclops wrote:
7. You might propose the moderators to move this thread to the computer go sub forum. Maybe you receive some more and better comments...

This sounds like a good idea. Any objections?

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: cyclops

Post #13 Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
cyclops wrote:
7. You might propose the moderators to move this thread to the computer go sub forum. Maybe you receive some more and better comments...

This sounds like a good idea.
+1

Quote:
Any objections?
not from me ;-)

Post #14 Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 pm 
Beginner

Hey, sorry on the slow responses! Besides traveling for work with multiple 16 hr days, I don't log in here very often ... my bad. If someone wants to move this, I don't feel I should object. I put it here because 1) this program does not play go (there's no AI) and 2) I didn't think past my thinking 95% of the bandwidth would be my posting announcements of updates. I've mostly gone ofline with a couple of folks talking about it ... 1) email is easier 2) spare the forum random chatter.

Cheers,
Bill

Post #15 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:29 pm 
Beginner

I just pushed the win8 app store release candidate v1: http://sgfeditor.codeplex.com/releases/view/103923

Hopefully that will pass store compliance testing in the next week or so and appear in the win8 app store.

From the release notes ...

This release is the win8 store release candidate. It includes sources for the python version, C# WPF desktop version, and the C# WinRT/Win8 version. The python verison is pretty far behind the C# versions, see sgfpy\notes.txt. The C# WPF version is a bit behind the win8 version, several little tweaks done in win8 for this release, see sgfpy\notes.txt.

There is a binary for WPF and a .appx for win8. You must have a dev license to unlock your win8 machine to use the appx, which you can only get by opening a win8 project in Visual Studio. There is a free version of Visual Studio Express for Win8 development.

Since the last release, 23 FEB (most updates in win8 version only)
* uncommented selection changed event handler for branches combo box
* forgot to make tree draw all the time when activated by file double click
* added next branch highlighting to tree view
* added crude prisoner counting and reporting in title bar
* tweaked size of tree graph nodes
* added combo in command panel to select what click means on the board (more touch enabled)
* commented out app bar buttons for setting what clicking on the board does.
* auto save on suspend and on 30s timer
* game info dialog for editing game metadata
* made file parsing tolerant of supplying a handicap of zero
* made file parsing canonicalize newline endings in comments
* fixed handicap stone placement bug introduced from DEC code review updates
* cleaned up and simplified UpdateTitle code and fixed bug
* fixed esc to check if comment text dirty
* improved tree update code to move nodes into view better

Bill

Post #16 Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 am 
Beginner

The app is available as a v1 in the win8 app store:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/s ... 82c85d949a

It is still available at sgfeditor.codeplex.com with versions in python, C#/WPF, and C#/winRT (win8).

Thanks to those who helped, in particular, Gurujeet for providing design and testing help!

Bill

Post #17 Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:15 pm 
Beginner

I pushed an update to the store app for win8, same link as previous post.

This release just has a few tweaks: you can touch the last move to undo it if it was a misclick, tree view nodes that have move comments are highlighted, and I reworked the command panel UI simplying it, making buttons bigger, and adding a palette to control what clicking on the board does (replaces old dropdown control).

Bill

Post #18 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm 
Beginner

I created a new release of SGFEditor at sgfeditor.codeplex.com, declaring v1 for the C# WPF desktop version. I pushed an update to the win8 store, v1.04, that fixes a bug in saving flipped/reverse view files and enables enter/esc for new game and game info dialogs: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/s ... 82c85d949a

From the Codeplex release notes ...
Since the last release 23 MAR:
* tap last move to undo it
* simplified command panel for win8 version
* cleaned up and simplified UpdateTitle
* fixed bug in new dlg and game info dlg where enter/esc didn't work, and mainwin still handled kbd input
* enhanced highlighting of current node in tree view
* fixed bug in writing flipped view files
* ported to C# WPF version: esc saves comment and updates title if dirty
* ported to C# WPF version: canonicalized newline sequences in comments
* ported to C# WPF version: tolerating HA0 when parsing
* ported to C# WPF version: tree drawing tweaks for constants on node size
* ported to C# WPF version: simplified UpdateTitle code
* ported to C# WPF version: handicap stone placement tweak (broke when added code review updates)
* ported to C# WPF version: tap last move to undo misclick
* ported to C# WPF version: fixed home key and tapping start node to restore empty board adornments
* ported to C# WPF version: green highlights on game tree nodes with comments
* ported to C# WPF version: game metadata editing dialog

Cheers,
Bill

Post #19 Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:01 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 109
KGS: Soji
DGS: Soji
Online playing schedule: KGS usually Friday 20:00-23:00
Just wanted to say, I recorded my tournament games with your app and it was great. The intuitive undo was a life saver. Thanks. You should make it possible for people to give you money. I definitely would!

Post #20 Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:07 pm 
Beginner

Hey, Amelia, thanks for the very kind words, and I'm grateful people are getting use out of the app! Your post was money enough :-). Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, thought I was checking the forums here more often :-).

If you'll be at the Go Congress, let's meet f2f for a fun game or just to say hey.

Cheers,
Bill