It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get Baduk TV English for just $20/month
Post #1 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
I'm happy to announce that Baduk TV at Go Game Guru has got to the point were we can now reduce the price to just $20/month for English translations.

In addition, we're trying out a new day pass, where you only pay when you want to watch, as an alternative to a monthly subscription.

Click here for all the details.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

This post by gogameguru was liked by 5 people: CnP, daal, hailthorn011, Phelan, quantumf

Post subject: Re: Get Baduk TV English for just $20/month
Post #2 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
This made my week, (re-)subscribed :D

This post by CnP was liked by: gogameguru

Post #3 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Looks like a Christmas present. :)

Post #4 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
I'd subscribe right now if I could pay, for example, through google wallet (formerly goggle checkout)

I have no idea whether they impose draconian restrictions to businesses, though.

[Edit: I don't know anything about this kind of businesses so I might go wildly wrong but google wallet might have the same transaction fees as paypal 2.9%+030$.]

Last edited by Alguien on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
Expect a likely new subscription in the near future!

Post #6 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
BTW, I think it's worth a word of thanks to the first subscribers who have shown gogameguru that Baduk TV is a viable enterprise here in the West, and made it possible to for it to be offered it to a wider audience. Thanks!

:bow:

This post by daal was liked by 5 people: cyclops, Hushfield, Monadology, msgreg, Phelan

Post #7 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
I agree with daal. Thankyou to them too.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
Alguien wrote:
I'd subscribe right now if I could pay, for example, through google wallet (formerly goggle checkout)

I have no idea whether they impose draconian restrictions to businesses, though.

[Edit: I don't know anything about this kind of businesses so I might go wildly wrong but google wallet might have the same transaction fees as paypal 2.9%+030$.]

google wallet isn't available outside of the US which would be pretty sad for a lot of people wanting Baduk TV English!

I agree paypal isn't a fun company but its one of the very few that allow payment from so many different countries.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
badukJr wrote:
google wallet isn't available outside of the US which would be pretty sad for a lot of people wanting Baduk TV English!

I use google wallet and I live in Spain.

Also, I didn't say they should remove the option to use paypal, just that they should consider adding other options for people who won't use paypal.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
Baduk TV wrote:
$1 trial ends Friday, December 21, 2012

As an introductory special, we’ve been offering the first week of Baduk TV English for just $1, when you order a monthly subscription.

That offer ends this week, on Friday, December 21, so this is your last chance to take advantage of it.

If you want to join, you can click here to subscribe to Baduk TV English right now.

If you subscribe you can cancel it after one week ( even at the time of subscribing ). If you don't cancel you are charged $20 a month. Be sure to decide in time otherwise you will pay automatically.
It is worth a try and it will certainly help you through those depressing christmas days.
The "Becoming a 5 kyu" lessons and the "007" lessons ( punishing trick plays ) are really good. ( I guess up to 1 kyu KGS). There are six of them each now and their number will grow weekly.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
Alguien wrote:
badukJr wrote:

I use google wallet and I live in Spain.

Also, I didn't say they should remove the option to use paypal, just that they should consider adding other options for people who won't use paypal.

Yes, its possible to use outside but it is not officially supported. Since gogameguru is outside of the US it does not surprise me they don't use something that is not officially support when dealing with their livelyhood.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: ProtoJazz
I will indeed sub when I have some money

Post #13 Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 am 
Lives in gote

Alguien wrote:
I'd subscribe right now if I could pay, for example, through google wallet (formerly google checkout)
We tried Google Wallet/Checkout with our Go shop awhile back. At the time it was frustrating to integrate because Google gives merchants some ridiculously small amount of time for their shop to return shipping rates (which you don't know ahead of time because you don't have an address yet). And if you don't return the rates quickly enough it defaults to rating everything with USPS, which kind of sucks for everyone when you're going to send something to Europe, from Europe...

Generally I like Google's stuff, but this is one thing I wish they'd change. When I did a search on this issue I found that people have been complaining about this for about 5 years, so...

We haven't seriously considered it for Baduk TV yet, because we're still working on setting up credit card payments (that don't require PayPal). I've been testing that, but it's not ready to go into production just yet.

We do have direct credit card payments working in the Go shop already (in addition to PayPal, bank transfer, and check/cheque as payment options).

We definitely want to get an alternative to PayPal up and running as soon as we can, because at the moment people in Germany still can't subscribe using PayPal, even if they want to. According to PayPal support, it's because of some Byzantine requirement PayPal has about only accepting 'instant' payment methods for recurring subscriptions. So currently everyone in Germany has to email us to arrange payment. Why German credit cards aren't regarded as 'instant' is a mystery to me.

Anyway, a PayPal alternative is coming soon.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #14 Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
KGS: salerno
May I ask, how many hours of tv do you upload weekly to Baduk TV English?
thanks!

Post #15 Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:13 pm 
Lives in gote

salerno wrote:
May I ask, how many hours of tv do you upload weekly to Baduk TV English?
thanks!
On average it would probably end up being about 1.5 hours per week at the moment. We were doing more earlier, but we don't currently have enough translators to sustain that kind of pace.

1 hour of video is about 12 hours of work on average (translation + syncing + editing).

There's a lot more information about it on this page: http://gogameguru.com/get-baduk-tv/

Post #16 Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
I signed up for the 1$ trial, and though 20$/month is still a lot more than the only thing I can even somewhat compare it to (KGS Plus), I think it's cheap enough. Besides, I think if western go players want more initiatives like these, we should support your efforts.

Though I was mainly interested in the becoming 5 kyu series, I was a bit surprised to find it's mainly variations on the same opening. But then I started enjoying looking at the same thing from all sorts of different angles, and I have learned quite a bit from them, actually. I love the game commentaries. The searching for exquisite games series is awesome (I loved the old Korean sports professor who talks about the Cho Hunhyun game: such absolute love for the game). Thanks to everyone involved in creating this.

This post by Hushfield was liked by 2 people: cyclops, gogameguru

Post #17 Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
edit2: Turned out to be a false positive.

My AntiVirus Software currently prevents me from entering the site, saying that there is a danger of malware.

Could be false alarm. Or another server where advertisement is stored got hacked, or someone hacked gogameguru (who would do that?).

I will send david an email right now.

edit: I didn't want to start another thread because I think this will be resolved quickly, and I don't want to damage gogamegurus reputation as much, because I like the service.

Last edited by p2501 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Thanks for letting me know. I'd rather hear about the occasional false positive than not find out if the site really is hacked.

That being said, I've just spent several hours checking everything out and I can't find any evidence of a hack or malware.

We have quite a lot of security measures in place and our (fairly expensive and security conscious) web host backs up everything and scans for viruses daily.

On top of that, we have another third party service that does daily backups, scans for viruses, and emails me a daily report listing any files that have been changed between backups.

I check that report almost every day and recently only jpg and sgf files have been created or modified on the server, which has been when we've added a new article or video.

I've scanned our files again, reviewed all the changes for the last couple of months and also done some manual checking of high value files and logs, and I can't find anything suspicious.

Which antivirus software are you using? And are you locked out of the whole site, or just specific pages? Does the software give an explanation of what it thinks is the problem?

Is anyone else seeing this problem with their antivirus software?

According to all these guys, the site is clean:

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/ ... meguru.com
http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?u ... meguru.com
http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/gogameguru.com
http://www.yandex.com/infected?url=goga ... om&l10n=en
http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/sitereport ... avg.com.au

Also, there's nothing on PhishTank: http://www.phishtank.com/

And McAfee and TrendMicro hadn't scanned our site when I went and checked.
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/gogameguru.com
http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/

Here are some possible theories:

The site really is hacked, but we don't know yet. If anyone is seeing a message about a problem, please let me know which antivirus software you're using and what it says is a problem and what specifically it's saying.

Websites these days are made up of various components from other sites (e.g. Facebook 'Like' buttons and so on). Maybe one of those sites has been hacked, but that seems unlikely. One time our mailing list provider had a false positive and people got a warning when they tried to subscribe to the newsletter for about a day.

One other thing I can think of is that there's a very small amount of obfuscated javascript on the Baduk TV Live page: http://gogameguru.com/baduk-tv-live/ - which is only visible to logged in subscribers. It's not really necessary, it's just there to frustrate script kiddies who want to try to jack the live stream. It might be raising an eyebrow with your virus checker, because malware is sometimes obfuscated too. I can remove it if it's causing an issue, so please let me know. This seems more plausible to me.

Maybe something could have happened with an IP address being flagged as malicious because of another site that uses the same CDN as us?

The only other thing I can think of is that someone has reported the site maliciously, which happened once before and it turned out that someone out there just didn't like us :(. This is also possible.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 am 
Lives in gote

Does anyone have an update or any information about this either way?

As you can imagine, it's a matter of some urgency for us, so any information about whether or not people's antivirus software is flagging any problems on the site would really be appreciated. I still haven't found any problems from our end.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
edit: Turned out to be a false positive.

After reading about what you go through to keep the site clean, I'm quite convinced it is a false positive.

I use Avira AntiVirus Premium 2012. Here is what I get when I surf to ggg.com (german message though):

If you follow the link, it describes malware as bad programs like Adware, Spyware, Trojans, Backdoors, Bootviruses, Exploits, Viruses (macro, polymorphic, script), etc. ...

No idea what triggers it.

Last edited by p2501 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.