It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go9dan.com
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
Someone sent me a media release about this earlier today. I have my hands full at the moment, but thought some people here might be interested.
(It has nothing to do with Go Game Guru, by the way)

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Go Server Opens

San Francisco, December 11, 2012 — go9dan.com is a new browser-based online Go platform that aims to bring global Go enthusiasts of all skill levels together. Set to launch its beta on December 16, 2012, it will provide great new features and services including the ability to observe and play multiple games, a teaching game auction, rated and unrated tournaments, and the opportunity to play against professional world Go champions. There will be no limit to the number of players allowed on the server and there will be no need to download a client in order to play.

There will be many top tournament games to watch. During go9dan’s first three months, ten of the world’s super pros will play off in the World Go League Invitational for prizes totaling $100,000. The league will run from the end of January to April. Each player will play nine games. Players will be Lee Sedol, Lee Changho, Kong Jie, Xie He, Chen Yaoye, Park Junghwan, Kim Jisuk, Park Younghoon, Shi Yue and Fan Tingyu.

Also, in order to encourage the American Go Association’s new pro system, Lee Sedol will play a ten-game series against the two new U.S. professionals, Andy Liu and Gangsheng Shi. The series will run one game per week beginning January 2013. The handicap will change depending on the players’ performance. If the U.S. team is at black or better at the end of the series, they will win $1,000 apiece.

Beta launch will be in English and Korean on December 16, 2012. Full launch with Chinese and Japanese added will be on January 20, 2013. Members who sign up early will participate in many exciting events and promotions, including free memberships and virtual currency.

go9dan.com is operated by 82 Limited, an online game company based in Hong Kong and San Francisco.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

This post by gogameguru was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, p2501, Phelan, snorri, topazg, xed_over

Post subject: Re: Go9dan.com
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
On the one hand, yet another go server. But on the other, oh my god oh my god oh my god. They know how to promote their stuff.

This post by p2501 was liked by 4 people: betterlife, Bonobo, gogameguru, Phelan

Post #3 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
p2501 wrote:
On the one hand, yet another go server. But on the other, oh my god oh my god oh my god. They know how to promote their stuff.
That basically sums up what Jing and I thought :). Let's see what happens.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #4 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Quote:
Also, in order to encourage the American Go Association’s new pro system, Lee Sedol will play a ten-game series against the two new U.S. professionals, Andy Liu and Gangsheng Shi. The series will run one game per week beginning January 2013. The handicap will change depending on the players’ performance. If the U.S. team is at black or better at the end of the series, they will win $1,000 apiece.

Intriguing. What does Lee Sedol win if they aren't - i.e. how incentivized is he to win.

And what does "black or better" mean? I presume after a defeat in an even game, they will then play black with no komi? If they can retain this, then they win the challenge?

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
:shock:

This post by logan was liked by: lovelove

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
How can something this big just come out of nowhere?!

I am aroused by skeptical. Multiple forms of currency. Free accounts don't seem to be have much functionality.

This post by cdybeijing was liked by: lovelove

Post #7 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
It's interesting to note that the site itself has had a Facebook page since November 2011, and it looks like, while they've kept things fairly tightly wrapped, it doesn't look like an overnight decision of "let's put up a new go server!".

That being said, I'm curious what things will look like on the official public beta launch. Right now there are a whole number of little items all across the site that scream "THIS IS A TEST!"

We shall see ...

Post #8 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 29
KGS: DefLow
Universal go server handle: DeFlow
Mmm,

After looking over the website, I am turned off by the different payments needed to increase the functionality. Not that I use it often, but even using score estimator costs 'gold'. On the other hand, I see you can earn and pay gold for teaching games, you can host your own tournaments and there is other nice functionality. All-in-all it seems like a big project, so I'll just have to check it out anyway. =] Too much potential fun to miss out on.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
It looks interesting. It seems to allow gambling, which surprises me if it is US based. The payment for different membership classes doesn't surprise me. What does blow my mind is that this is only in Beta, and they have sponsorship already for broadcasting games - I hope beta phase works out well for them. Given that you have to pay to play, I'm not sure that it's for me.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
gogameguru wrote:
Someone sent me a media release about this earlier today. I have my hands full at the moment, but thought some people here might be interested.
(It has nothing to do with Go Game Guru, by the way)

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

1. Thanks for sharing!

2. I've seen the spelling Gansheng more often than Gangsheng. Are both correct?

3. Do know if they they mean that there well be two ten-game series, one Lee vs. Andy and the other Lee vs. Gansheng, or is this some kind of collaboration game?

Post #11 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Is this real-time Go in a browser or turn-based?

Post #12 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Uberdude wrote:
Is this real-time Go in a browser or turn-based?

Fairly sure it's real time like goshrine and kaya.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 59
Universal go server handle: mw42
Javaness2 wrote:
It looks interesting. It seems to allow gambling, which surprises me if it is US based. The payment for different membership classes doesn't surprise me. What does blow my mind is that this is only in Beta, and they have sponsorship already for broadcasting games - I hope beta phase works out well for them. Given that you have to pay to play, I'm not sure that it's for me.

It seems based in Korea.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
To say the obvious, holding black no komi against Lee Sedol is ambitious.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
hyperpape wrote:
To say the obvious, holding black no komi against Lee Sedol is ambitious.

I think if they manage to keep it on two stones it will be a success for the American pros, but that is probably unlikely.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I've never found it since then, but I swear I heard Andy tell some (strong) pro he played on KGS that he needed two stones to play even. I wanted to say it was An Youngil, but a little time with KGS analytics and grep suggests that's not true. Andy has gotten a bit stronger since then, but probably not a whole stone, and Lee is stronger than whomever this pro was.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:20 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Andy has played Lee Changho in a tournament environment over 2 games, so that's probably still a reasonable yardstick even though it was some time ago

Post #18 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Quote:
Given that you have to pay to play, I'm not sure that it's for me.

yeh, my first reaction was - pay to play won't work outside Asia since we expect free Go and have the likes of KGS, IGS & Kaya.gs .. but reading the description I did think it might (work and be for me..). It seems like a good way to get experience playing stronger players without the social awkwardness of asking for a favor - perhaps that's the students fault but I can see people going for it. Membership is $10 or $20 per month, so not huge. Also there's a more general impression I get that it could create an environment for people to start making more money from Go - so might be good for the US pros.. Who knows though - fingers crossed.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
cdybeijing wrote:
How can something this big just come out of nowhere?!

I am aroused by skeptical. Multiple forms of currency. Free accounts don't seem to be have much functionality.

I would guess they initially developed a business model, approached sponsors, etc prior to any public release of a product....Pretty much standard fare for a typical commercial venture. They likely had investors who liked their plan for monetization, and were willing to fund the development and launch tournament. I think it will be worth keeping an eye on.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
hahaha

Either you pay $20 a month, which is rather ridiculous
Or you pay $10 a month, which is still ridiculous, in which case you also have to pay extra to:
* use automatch
* watch 9d games
* use the score estimator
* search for a user

This is frankly offensive.