It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huh?! No link to this forum via AGA!
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 11
I apparently missed the "changeover" announcement of the AGA's new webpage, so I was quite perplexed when I went to the AGA home and didn't find a link on the homepage for "Life in 19x19." A quick website search turned up a link, but it turned out to be dead, so I had to resort to a search engine to find my way here.

I don't know about what others may feel (thus this post ;-)) but I think it a bit absurd that the main forum for discussing go is not *prominently* linked to the AGA homepage. Other posts indicate that links to tournaments and events are also broken, so what gives?? I like the old webpage--at least it wasn't "broken"!

Post subject: Re: Huh?! No link to this forum via AGA!
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:04 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
The old website was old, but at least it wasn't new.

This post by shapenaji was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 265
KGS: jmp
IGS: jmpr
schwartzseer wrote:
I apparently missed the "changeover" announcement of the AGA's new webpage, so I was quite perplexed when I went to the AGA home and didn't find a link on the homepage for "Life in 19x19." A quick website search turned up a link, but it turned out to be dead, so I had to resort to a search engine to find my way here.

I don't know about what others may feel (thus this post ;-)) but I think it a bit absurd that the main forum for discussing go is not *prominently* linked to the AGA homepage. Other posts indicate that links to tournaments and events are also broken, so what gives?? I like the old webpage--at least it wasn't "broken"!

Absurd?!? How many other go organizations *prominently* have a link to 19x19?

The website is not "broken", tournament and event pages are up and running, there are just some sgf files that need relinking to and a few other things. Typical stuff when a website is completely redone, a little patience and perspective please.

I would estimate that at least 1000 hours of volunteer time (including a good 100 hours by yours truly) went into this website migration. If you ever want the AGA to improve stuff you might want to be a bit more constructive in your criticism because if this is the "reward" volunteers get for working really hard to try to make things updated and better they might not bother in the future.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
Yertle wrote:
I would estimate that at least 1000 hours of volunteer time (including a good 100 hours by yours truly) went into this website migration.

The migration was a HUGE effort by a number of volunteers. This has also been in the process for almost a year at that. We have has numerous technical and time challenges over that time. This upgrade to the site is what we wanted to happen the last time the site was overhauled. I hope that our users are patient with the dust while we finish up. As someone who has scoured the old site more than he can count, the site was huge and if you werent the webmaster you had no idea how huge it was. Please as Yertle said, email webmaster@usgo.org for things missing so we can find the missing items.

Good job and thanks to everyone who contributed to the effort!