It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corporate firewall
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Is there a way to have the site not listed as a "game" site ? The silly corporate firewall is blocking me from accessing it from work.

Post subject: Re: Corporate firewall
Post #2 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
LPDavid wrote:
Is there a way to have the site not listed as a "game" site ? The silly corporate firewall is blocking me from accessing it from work.

Probably your corporate IT is the only one that can do it.

Post #3 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:32 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I don't think that the site is explicitly listed in the corporate firewall. It's just configured to block all game site.

Some go domain like godiscussion.com and go4go.net will pass through the firewall fine because the are not explicitly listed as a game site.

Actually I could come here from work on the day I registered but one week after the site was no longer accessible.

Post #4 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:53 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
LPDavid wrote:
I don't think that the site is explicitly listed in the corporate firewall. It's just configured to block all game site.

Some go domain like godiscussion.com and go4go.net will pass through the firewall fine because the are not explicitly listed as a game site.

Actually I could come here from work on the day I registered but one week after the site was no longer accessible.

And where is this forum "explicitly listed as a game site?"

Post #5 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:32 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
kirkmc wrote:
LPDavid wrote:

More specifically, do you know what your corporate IT uses for its firewall? There are a couple of different resources companies use to create the lists of blanket blocks on different kinds of sites (like "games").

I know there was discussion about this in the past with Jordus doing some research on it. I wonder if he's made any progress on figuring that out. Jordus?

Post #6 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
schultz wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
LPDavid wrote:

More specifically, do you know what your corporate IT uses for its firewall? There are a couple of different resources companies use to create the lists of blanket blocks on different kinds of sites (like "games").

I know there was discussion about this in the past with Jordus doing some research on it. I wonder if he's made any progress on figuring that out. Jordus?

There was some discussion on this, but there doesn't seem to be indication that the site is "listed as a game site" from what Jordus researched.

This post by Kirby was liked by: schultz

Post #7 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
I found there are many reasons that sites get blocked by corporate firewalls. Our hosting service claims the only way sites get categorized is through search engines. As far as google is concerned I don't see "game" coming up anywhere....

There are also many solutions to try to get around it; however, I will not divulge that information as to the fact that if your work is blocking it, bypassing it could get you in trouble and I don't want to personally feel responsible, or have the forum held responsible for something like that.

I will tell you that you can search on google for these supposed work arounds.

This post by Jordus was liked by: schultz