It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I don't like kaya
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
KGS: NoSkill
I had high hopes but so many mistakes that are said to be better than the correct options.

1. No way to choose who you want to play. If a friend or student wants a game you can't be sure it will be him you play.

2. No room making option and lack of chat friendlyness. Not having separate rooms discourages socializing and teaching.

3. Lack of teaching capability (mic, lettering stones, etc.)

4. "New" features are weak. Compared to kgs the only real pros are the board looks and no client. The videos and widgets are bad, just YouTube videos. The chat is only one room, only auto matches, and etc. are bad ideas.

What I would like to see:

1. Current match making be set as automatch with a set board choose opponent type added. Also direct challenging people would be nice.

2. Tsumego, joseki dictionary, pro game database, and lessons not on YouTube or old bad ones to look at. As in, real effective new materials, not stuff already somewhere else.

3. More options to teach like mic usage that game host controls who can use mic.

4. SGF file editing and saving.

5. Leave offline messages and be able to link someone to a game (aka "please review (link to a game) sensei!")

6. Be able to record your kaya screen and mic to make your own videos from a built in program.

Post subject: Re: Why I don't like kaya
Post #2 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:46 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
As it's still in beta phase I'm willing to give it a chance. I think it has great potential, even if it's not yet groundbreaking. Very nice user interface, and the built in dictionary for Go terms is very useful so you don't have to check on Sensei's every time someone uses a Japanese term you are unfamiliar with (especially good for beginners).

I think it's a little early to condemn it yet. But I think copying all the most successful features of existing servers, and improving on them, would be the best thing they could do to start with.

I'd also like to see a client download as an option for us old-fashioned types who prefer it.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 12
OGS: X1117
Kaya handle: Xatu
NoSkill wrote:
I had high hopes but so many mistakes that are said to be better than the correct options.

1. No way to choose who you want to play. If a friend or student wants a game you can't be sure it will be him you play.

5. Leave offline messages and be able to link someone to a game (aka "please review (link to a game) sensei!")

Those ones are just plain false. And everything else (except video recording of kaya itself, but that's not the server's role) are features that are known to eventually appear, but haven't been implemented yet.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
NoSkill wrote:

2. No room making option and lack of chat friendlyness. Not having separate rooms discourages socializing and teaching.

3. Lack of teaching capability (mic, lettering stones, etc.)

4. "New" features are weak. Compared to kgs the only real pros are the board looks and no client. The videos and widgets are bad, just YouTube videos. The chat is only one room, only auto matches, and etc. are bad ideas.

What I would like to see:

1. Current match making be set as automatch with a set board choose opponent type added. Also direct challenging people would be nice.

2. Tsumego, joseki dictionary, pro game database, and lessons not on YouTube or old bad ones to look at. As in, real effective new materials, not stuff already somewhere else.

3. More options to teach like mic usage that game host controls who can use mic.

4. SGF file editing and saving.

6. Be able to record your kaya screen and mic to make your own videos from a built in program.

Take a longer tour around Kaya.gs. Several things you mention are done and being used. Several others are mentioned and commented on the uservoice page, which includes discussion and popularity of different features are voted and requested by users.

We dont have a help guide right now, but funcionality isnt hidden. Ask around if you have questions.

This post by Kaya.gs was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Phelan

Post #5 Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
KGS: NoSkill
True I need to look around more, but its frustrating because actual playing is good on kaya, but the no rooms, teaching tools or mic usage along with lack of players is annoying.

I was too harsh though, I can see kaya replacing kgs when it adds rooms and such general options. I really like the board looks, time options, Japanese term dictionary and those kind of new features. It is just lack of normal options but having good new ones is annoying, if it had the general, old options it could become more popular. Right now I think it is mainly the lack of these options that stop people from going to kaya instead of kgs or igs.

But it is a beta and I'm being too harsh in my original post, thanks for replying calmly

This post by NoSkill was liked by 5 people: Bonobo, cdybeijing, Kaya.gs, maproom, Uzziel

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
I think that the biggest advantage Kaya has right now is for spectators. Whenever I am Watching games on KGS, I instantly become annoyed when I (or the other viewers) have to post long streams of coordinates to indicate a variation. By the time I find the coordinates on the board and read out the sequence, many more moves have been played. I also really like the great score estimator.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
It would be nice if the variations could be a popup like on wbaduk. I don't like it interfering with the currently shown game.

The score estimator is nice. One minor bug I noticed was that it doesn't clear the score automatically when you leave the score estimator mode. You have to wait until the next move made.