It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: A new server is being developed: Kaya.gs
Post #301 Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
KGS: Gnostic
IGS: sydneytink
Kaya handle: Gnostic
The real trick to having more games being played is to stick around and play some games. It's circular, but that really is the way it works.

This post by MS_Sydney was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, daal, Phelan, Xa17u

Post #302 Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
Kaya.gs wrote:
time systems: Clocks are synched and working on the board. Right now we only have Absolute time, and we plan to support all time's KGS + Fischer, Bronstein, and other fun ones like Hourglass , etc. This part is available in OpenKaya, so anyone that wants to implement a timing system can do so.

Thank you for adding Fischer clock.

Any possibility of adding a cap feature to it? http://senseis.xmp.net/?CappedFischerTiming

Post #303 Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:16 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
walleye wrote:
Kaya.gs wrote:
time systems: Clocks are synched and working on the board. Right now we only have Absolute time, and we plan to support all time's KGS + Fischer, Bronstein, and other fun ones like Hourglass , etc. This part is available in OpenKaya, so anyone that wants to implement a timing system can do so.

Thank you for adding Fischer clock.

Any possibility of adding a cap feature to it? http://senseis.xmp.net/?CappedFischerTiming

Its capped for correspondence matches. Extending would be easy, but im not entirely convinced its practical for real time games yet.

Post #304 Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
Kaya.gs wrote:
Its capped for correspondence matches. Extending would be easy, but im not entirely convinced its practical for real time games yet.

I want a timing system that closely resembles casual play at a club.
We don't use clocks for casual games. It is enough to maintain a steady pace, say, 30 seconds per move (not counting quick responses in joseki, ko, etc). But if the position becomes complicated, it is acceptable to spend a few minutes thinking (a few but not too many, no one wants to wait for more than 10 minutes).

Capped Fischer clock does just that. You get, say, 5 minutes initial time and 15 seconds bonus time. The cap is also 5 minutes. Then all you need to do is maintain a steady pace of 15 seconds per move. Assuming half of your moves will be quick, you get about 30 seconds for the other moves, and you still have your 5 minutes for when things become complicated.

I think the cap will help the players to maintain the same pace. For example, assume the cap is 5 minutes and the bonus is 15 seconds. If you have 4:55 on your clock when you make a move, your clock resets to 5:00 and you've just wasted 10 seconds. It's fine if that's what you want to do, but at least you don't get an unfair advantage by playing at a quicker pace than expected. On the other hand, if you notice your time has gone down a bit, say, below 4 minutes, you know your pace has been slow, so you need to speed up to get back to the 5 minute limit.

I've played and observed a few games on kaya.gs using Fischer clock and I believe a cap will be a useful and practical addition.

Post #305 Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:16 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 10
KGS: PaperTiger
walleye wrote:
Capped Fischer clock does just that. You get, say, 5 minutes initial time and 15 seconds bonus time. The cap is also 5 minutes. Then all you need to do is maintain a steady pace of 15 seconds per move. Assuming half of your moves will be quick, you get about 30 seconds for the other moves, and you still have your 5 minutes for when things become complicated.

I think it's a good idea. By the way, since you mention 5 minutes, it's really annoying when you are hovering around the 5 minute mark and you keep being told that there are 5 minutes remaning. I've been using 4 minutes main time with 5 second Fischer per move time to avoid this.

Post #306 Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
We had some discussion of this, with a few graphs, back when I wrote Timing Systems - Redux. I think it is a better way to control the pace than simply shortening the Fischer increment.

This post by ez4u was liked by 2 people: Phelan, topazg

Post #307 Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:40 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
This post may be getting old, but does anyone know of how long you need to wait after signing up for a free account, to get the email from Kaya.gs? It's been a good five hours now and I've tried with both my hotmail and gmail accounts. I can't log in without a password, but I can't make a password without completing the sign-up process with the email. It states that my user names are now being used, so it has registered the profiles in their system at most, but I can't get in without creating that password. I heard on another post around back in 2012, that people couldn't seem to make an account without paying for it or waiting for a Beta key sorta deal, but we're now half way through 2013. Is this still an issue? If so, why is the free account option still available without at least stateing a warning that they aren't working? Thanks for any help on this issue.

Post #308 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'm pretty sure it's automated. I've posted your issue to kaya support - hopefully they'll get on it soon.

Post #309 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:11 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Cool, Thanks alot! I hope I can get on, because Kaya might be the one site (from what I've heard) that will actually revive Online Go for me. I'm so sick of just having to "accept" escapers. Plus the video and voice chat options will make go alot more personal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16