It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seattle Go Center sues Nihon Ki-in Japan
Post #181 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:11 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
So, I looked at the 2011 figures, where we had 2 Kansai Kiin pros, 3 Nihon Kiin pros, 2 Korean pros, 5 Chinese pros, and 10 pros from the US/Canada/Europe. This year the comparable numbers are 1/0/2/1/9. I think the real question is whether the Seattle Go imbroglio scandalized the Chinese pros - I'm not sure what else could have kept four of them away from North Carolina.

Post #182 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:14 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
I really think that this talk of the Nihon Ki-in boycotting the AGA congress or being insulted by Seattle hosting the 2013 USGC is baseless supposition by people who are not directly involved on either side of the issue. I have no information proving that these theories false, but at the same time I have seen nothing to indicate that they might be true. I would appreciate it if the discussion could be kept to known facts about the issue and not wild speculation.

This post by Redbeard was liked by: Txewì

Post #183 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
I don't see how the lawsuit could have affected Chinese players - is there a reason they'd know (or care) about it?

I don't think Japanese players would be influenced either, except if normally the notification for registration goes out from the Ki-in.

Post #184 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
jts wrote:
I think the real question is whether the Seattle Go imbroglio scandalized the Chinese pros - I'm not sure what else could have kept four of them away from North Carolina.

The east coast is an extra 3000 miles of air travel on top of an already long trip from the East Asia. Perhaps money played a role? Wasn't the last one on the west coast?

Post #185 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:23 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
jts wrote:
So, I looked at the 2011 figures, where we had 2 Kansai Kiin pros, 3 Nihon Kiin pros, 2 Korean pros, 5 Chinese pros, and 10 pros from the US/Canada/Europe. This year the comparable numbers are 1/0/2/1/9. I think the real question is whether the Seattle Go imbroglio scandalized the Chinese pros - I'm not sure what else could have kept four of them away from North Carolina.

The numbers depend on how you count. Officially, we have two pros from China each year. In 2012, one of them had trouble with visa and could not make it. So, it is Hillary's fault. ^^ But, no, it had nothing to do with Seattle.

As for Nihon Kiin, there were reasons why they withdrew their pros from the 2012 Congress and indeed it had to do with SGC. But all problems are cleared now and we may safely expect normal exchange to resume in 2013.

This post by Hsiang was liked by 2 people: Ellyster, illluck

Post #186 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:26 pm 
Lives with ko

Hsiang wrote:
As for Nihon Kiin, there were reasons why they withdrew their pros from the 2012 Congress and indeed it had to do with SGC. But all problems are cleared now and we may safely expect normal exchange to resume in 2013.

Could you elaborate on this? How do you come by your information?

This post by Redbeard was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #187 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
Redbeard wrote:
Hsiang wrote:

http://www.usgo.org/who-aga

VP - International Thomas Hsiang

Post #188 Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:53 pm 
Lives with ko

illluck wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Hsiang wrote:

http://www.usgo.org/who-aga

VP - International Thomas Hsiang

Yes, but that does not explain who he talked to about the issue or the specific reason the Nihon Ki-in withdrew their pros from the 2012 Congress. If anyone is going to make such a statement, AGA officer or not, they should be able follow it up with details.

This post by Redbeard was liked by 2 people: ez4u, Joaz Banbeck

Post #189 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
Hsiang wrote:
jts wrote:

The numbers depend on how you count. Officially, we have two pros from China each year. In 2012, one of them had trouble with visa and could not make it. So, it is Hillary's fault. ^^ But, no, it had nothing to do with Seattle.

Don't want to tell you guys that I told you so. But, I told you so. :P

Thanks to sgc for damaging relations. I hope you really appreciate and are grateful for your purpose built game hall, and use it to the fullest extent. As every other club in the usa must use a bookstore, cafe or private residence.

Post #190 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
badukJr wrote:
Hsiang wrote:
jts wrote:

Thanks to sgc for damaging relations. I hope you really appreciate and are grateful for your purpose built game hall, and use it to the fullest extent. As every other club in the usa must use a bookstore, cafe or private residence.

Really? you're going to start up with this again?

Edited to be less inflammatory:
The SGC is the little guy in this, and as the records showed, they acted in good faith. I really don't see why the Nihon Kiin is receiving your sympathies. Seems like Stockholm syndrome.

EDIT: And as has been already stated, numerous times, they've been paying for everything, what exactly are they supposed to be grateful for?

Last edited by shapenaji on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This post by shapenaji was liked by 2 people: Ellyster, illluck

Post #191 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:02 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Universal go server handle: speedchase
badukJr wrote:

What to you mean told you so? the post you cite as evidence is, as far as we know wild speculation.

This post by speedchase was liked by: Redbeard

Post #192 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
Even if it were the case where the Nihon Kiin is being vindictive in not sending pros to congress, I'd still rather have a Seattle Go Center than a couple of Nihon Kiin pros here for a week.

This post by Redundant was liked by 10 people: Ellyster, illluck, imabuddha, jts, oren, shapenaji, speedchase, tundra, Txewì, uglyboxer

Post #193 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:35 pm 
Lives with ko

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else and I wanted to bring this thread to a conclusion for posterity. This e-mail was sent to all SGC members on Friday Dec. 21 2012.

---
Subject: [Seattle Go Center] New Lease and Management Agreement with Nihon Ki-in
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:37:20 -0800

Seattle Go Center Records Formalized Lease and Management Agreement with the Nihon Ki-in

The Board of Directors of the Seattle Go Center is pleased to announce that
we have signed a new agreement with the Nihon Ki-in, providing for our
continued management and occupancy of the Iwamoto Building in support of our
mission to promote the game of Go and encourage cultural exchange in the
spirit of Iwamoto-sensei. The lease term runs through 2016, with the Go
Center having the option to renew through 2021. The official documents were
recorded in Seattle this morning, Dec. 21, 2012. To a large extent, this new
agreement simply formalizes the understanding the two organizations have
always had, and ensures that misunderstandings will not occur in the future.

On behalf of the entire Seattle Go Center community, the Directors express
heart-felt thanks to the Nihon Ki-in, and particularly to President Norio
Wada. This agreement, which not only formally extends the relationship
between our two organizations, but reaffirms our ties to one another, was
only made possible by the vision and leadership the Nihon Ki-in provided
throughout this process.

The Seattle Go Center remains deeply grateful to the Nihon Ki-in for its
support, generosity, and guidance since the Seattle Go Center's inception in
1994. We will strive to justify their faith in us, now and far into the
future.

For more information, please contact the Manager of the Go Center, Brian
Allen, at http://www,seattlegocenter.org.
---

This agreement officially ends the misunderstanding between the two organizations and all legal action is being withdrawn. This is a much better outcome that I anticipated and I am grateful to everyone on both sides of the argument who had the maturity to listen to each other and resolve this issue. Now, let's get back to the game, Ok?

This post by Redbeard was liked by 5 people: daal, imabuddha, p2501, Phelan, xed_over

Post #194 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:35 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I am very happy that this was solved satisfactorily for both parties.

Post #195 Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 22
Thank heaven that is over. I would have been enormously upset if the SGC had closed right after I moved to the area. The existence of the SGC in Seattle was one of the top reasons I chose UW for grad school. I'm really relieved that a major reason I moved across almost the whole beeping country hasn't been yanked out from under me before I even got to visit.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This post by burrkitty was liked by: Bonobo

Post #196 Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:15 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Thank you to both parties for finding a way to make a deal.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: speedchase

Post #197 Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 25
Or, rather, that formal clarification of the original "deal" was successfully obtained and the wishes of Iwamoto-sensei were preserved. It is unfortunate, though, that a lawsuit (or the threat of one) and a lot of bad PR had to occur in order to secure this outcome.

It seems to me that a couple of lessons can be learned from all this:

A) If one does not wish to get stung, one ought not go around knocking over hornet's nests.

B) If one wishes to remain on good terms with someone, one ought not sting them, even if they are knocking over your nest.

Post #198 Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
zslane wrote:
Or, rather, that formal clarification of the original "deal" was successfully obtained and the wishes of Iwamoto-sensei were preserved. It is unfortunate, though, that a lawsuit (or the threat of one) and a lot of bad PR had to occur in order to secure this outcome.

It seems to me that a couple of lessons can be learned from all this:

A) If one does not wish to get stung, one ought not go around knocking over hornet's nests.

B) If one wishes to remain on good terms with someone, one ought not sting them, even if they are knocking over your nest.

One: I think that you are taking the wrong conclusion from this.
Two: The situation is settled. Why are you trying to restart the fire?

Post #199 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
From what I have read so far it looks like the Nihon Kiin went over the AGA's head in promoting go in the west. Is this true? Not trying to stir stuff up, but I read differing stories on what happened in NYC and I want to know more about the history.

Where can I read more about the history of Nihon Ki-in / AGA relations? thank you.

Post #200 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
usagi wrote:
From what I have read so far it looks like the Nihon Kiin went over the AGA's head in promoting go in the west.
This is rather vague, to the point that I don't even know what you're suggesting (though perhaps AGA insiders might know).

Quote:
Where can I read more about the history of Nihon Ki-in / AGA relations? thank you.
I don't know much, but you could poke around in here: http://www.usgo.org/archive/agagobib.html, There are presumably some notices in the AGA historical book (http://www.usgo.org/archive/agahbk95.html). The old AGA journals would certainly be relevant, but they haven't been digitized. Ditto for the collection at Princeton, afaik.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next