It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1001 GoGoD Games for your Coffee Break # 5 (10 Jan 2013)
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:43 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Go Seigen was not the only child of whom great things were expected in early 20th century China. Hu Peiquan was twelve when he took three stones against Masubuchi Tatsuko in Shanghai on 4 June 1931. He did well, but disappeared from trace soon after - unless anyone out there knows more about him?

Masubuchi (1904 ~ 1993) was a pupil of Kogishi Soji and Honinbo Shusai, and she was a force to be reckoned with in the pre-war Oteai. She reached the then high grade of 6-dan in 1954. Better yet, she was appointed to the Order of the Precious Crown, Apricot division, in 1980. Since then, government honours for go players seem to have become unfashionable, incidentally - perhaps a sign that Japanese players are not doing enough internationally.

This may be an apposite place to mention also that Oyama Toshiko 5-dan died recently and went unremarked in the west. She was 91 but was still active in encouraging go among female amateurs in Tokyo. She has a game against Go Seigen when she was a teenager likewise on three stones, but with the China-Japan relationship reversed. We will give that one later as it has some comments by Go.

I take a break now (only 996 to go!) and pass the baton for T Mark to resume after the weekend. I can tell you that he has a humdinger of a game to start with.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: 1001 GoGoD Games for your Coffee Break # 5 (10 Jan 2013)
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
Hi John, thanks for the game.

I found this article about 'a' Hu Peiquan.

Quote:
Hu Peiquan ---- Engineering Mechanics educator

(1920 -)

Hu Peiquan, Engineering Mechanics, educators, early years engaged in aeronautical research work in the United States, returning home after more than 40 years and long-term committed mechanics education, "Mechanics of Materials simple tutorial, the formation of the Engineering Mechanics Northwestern Polytechnical University, where he teaches engineering mathematics, higher material mechanics, the theory of elastic stability, plates and shells, flexible plates with flexible shell courses, and is responsible for postgraduate training and of work, and a proven track record.

Hupei Quan, was born on 19 June 1920, Wuxi County, Jiangsu Province (Wuxi City). Since childhood, intelligent and eager to learn. The 16-year-old was admitted to St. John's University Department of Civil Engineering, 20-year-old graduate, received a bachelor's degree in civil engineering. Soon the United States into the University of Michigan studies by the Civil Engineering and a Master of Science degree in 21-year-old, 24-year-old Ph.D. engineering mechanics.

Is it the same person?

If you use the age counting system where a baby starts at '1', then 12 in 1931 makes sense. Also, Wuxi City is pretty close to Shanghai. The article mentions nothing about Go, but she still seems to be alive maybe (at least in 2007). Both Go and the accomplishments here require great work ethic. Suddenly disappearing to attend a 4 year school before going to university over seas also fits the story.

I google translated this site:

http://www.aihuau.com/Huscholarship.htm

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
Hey, it looks like St. John's University is in Shanghai.
The site I linked said that he returned to St. John's University from the US in 1948.

On another site I found:
Quote:
 In April 1948, Shanghai players Hupei Quan, YU Shi Chun issue of "Go Communications, ceased publication on the 1st of each month to the liberation of Shanghai in May 1949, of 12, each number less than 10. Go periodical publication of the last issue of the Republic of China.

The translation got murdered there but obviously he was in China involved with Go somehow after he returned.

Then I found:
Quote:
1961 Urban Chess Sports Association was founded. The following year, Chenda Xie, Hu Peiquan elected a member of the China Weiqi Association; physical culture and invite old Shanghai, youth players Wangyou Chen Zhao of the cloud, Chengdu Huang Chengchen Sun where the chapter to Xi'an and Hu Peiquan, Yeyan Rong, Wang Cheng early, left Ren Kai, Zou Guochen carried friendlies, Xi'an players were no match for the opponents.

Finally I found a mention to connect St. Johns and Go
Quote:
He was America to pursue his studies, after returning home in 1947, taught at St. John's University, famous chess activist Hu Peiquan colleagues.

That article also mentions Rui Naiwei. http://www.xici.net/d175581202.htm

I also found this game:
http://www.hoetom.com/matchviewer_html_ ... p?id=51422

This post by badukJr was liked by 2 people: quantumf, Theo van Ees

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
BadukJr: Many thanks for this research. For the benefit of others, Hu's opponent in the linked game was Guo Xuchu, who was the elder brother of Guo Tisheng, one of China's most notable players. Xuchu was known as a strong player and he associated with the warlord Duan Qirui. He became an advisor to the Beijing Qiyuan in 1980.