It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Go Eye released AR feature!
Post #1 Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 49
IGS: goeye
The IOS app, Go Eye, just released the iPad version! :clap:

The original users don't have any extra cost to enjoy the universal (iPhone/iPad) version.

Thanks for your support in Go Eye and merry christmas to all Go fans!

Home page http://e-intuit.hk/goeye and

itunes link https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/go-eye/id562516957?mt=8)

Attachments:
File comment: The main screen
iOS Simulator Screen shot 10 Dec 2012 9.07.09 PM.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 10 Dec 2012 9.07.09 PM.png [ 108.47 KiB | Viewed 23132 times ]
File comment: The beautiful book mode
main-ipad.png
main-ipad.png [ 302.96 KiB | Viewed 23133 times ]
File comment: The board screen for iPad
iOS Simulator Screen shot 10 Dec 2012 9.09.18 PM.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 10 Dec 2012 9.09.18 PM.png [ 550.68 KiB | Viewed 23133 times ]

Last edited by GoEye2012 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 42 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released iPad version!
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:04 pm 
Lives with ko

V1.1.1 is released with support for opening SGF and zip files in Go Eye from external apps like dropbox, gdrive, or mail attachments. There are fixes to book view too. Merry Christmas!

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released iPad version!
Post #3 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm 
Lives with ko

GO EYE promotion on Jan 1, 2012 (ONLY ONE DAY, about 30% off!)

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released universal app to support iPad & iPhone!
Post #4 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Go Eye has released a new version 1.1.2, including many important improvements and fixes:

1. Improved image recognition algorithms and side by side UI to compare and correct recognition results.
2. Added a new option to reset move numbers in variant diagram in book mode.
3. Fixed some SGF compatibility issues, with many other small UI improvements.

Our pursue of the best IOS Go experience will never end! Thanks.Image

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 am 
Lives with ko

Go Eye Ranked 9th in Top Gossip List in Taiwan Appstore

Attachments:
File comment: Go Eye Ranked 9th in Top Gossip List in Taiwan Appstore
Screen shot 2013-01-12 at 11.37.53 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-01-12 at 11.37.53 PM.png [ 393.7 KiB | Viewed 22809 times ]

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 am 
Lives with ko

Go Eye released V1.1.3.

UI enhancements: Improve captured stones display in book view by showing semi-transparent stones for captured. Better align hint label in web browser view. Use translucent navigation bar in book mode and tap gesture to toggle it.

Bug fixes: marker not shown in first book page.

Change app icon.

Attachments:
photo 1-2.PNG
photo 1-2.PNG [ 151.75 KiB | Viewed 22717 times ]

Post #7 Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:32 am 
Lives with ko

Go Eye released 1.1.4.
Supporting RAR and fixed crash bugs in book mode on iOS 6.01 & 6.1

This post by GoEye2012 was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.1.4
Post #8 Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:52 am 
Lives with ko

With Go Eye, downloading games from RAR archive has never been easier.

You can also import from dropbox, etc.. Just Choose "Open In" button in Dropbox and Choose Go Eye.

Attachments:
iOS Simulator Screen shot 14 Feb 2013 9.48.51 PM.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 14 Feb 2013 9.48.51 PM.png [ 353.25 KiB | Viewed 22525 times ]

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.1.4
Post #9 Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:30 pm 
Lives with ko

Go Eye released 1.1.5 with important updates!

A major step in integrating best SGF web resources in the app. Deep
integration with Go4go.net, the most frequently updated and well-maintained SGF resources, in the embedded web browser.

Enhance web page by annotating Sgf/Zip/Rar links with different colors. Redesign web browser home page layout.

Add a new option in setting page to toggle web page annotation.

Misc. bug fixes and updates: Fix no stone sound when switching from book view. Fix game text edit popover layout. Update acknowledgement page.

Attachments:
iOS Simulator Screen shot 2 Mar 2013 11.12.20 PM.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 2 Mar 2013 11.12.20 PM.png [ 159.65 KiB | Viewed 22402 times ]

This post by GoEye2012 was liked by: ez4u

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.1.5, with important updates
Post #10 Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Interesting app, I was even "I need to buy it right now" but then I read that it is not for Jailbreak users. May I ask why? I use jailbreak on my iDevices since January 2009 and never pirated even single app - I suppose you did like you did because of possibility of piracy. But restricting the app only for users with not modified OS is not reasonable - I have never heard about something like that. Sure - feel free to  make some antipiracy system in your app, but going againts all JB users is just a bad policy. Jailbreak is for tweaking OS not for piracy, there are others, easier, ways to pirate software, whith no need of doing JB.

Anyway, thanks for you constant work on updating this app and adding another features. This makes a very good overall impression, and the features from the latest update looks very handy. Pity, not for me because of this anti JB thing...

Tomasz

Post #11 Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 am 
Lives with ko

lobotommy, thanks for your comments.

Limiting jailbroken machines from running is one simple way right now for us to prevent piracy before we build stronger protection. By simplifying the problem, we can have more time to focus on the key features of Go instead of fighting with piracy. Until our innovation on Go app reaches a limit so that we can have more time building protection, or Apple has released a better way to protect the apps, we will still keep it this way.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Ok, I bought it. And it's a bad app. [No more. After update to 1.2 it's a good app, and most of my complaints are invalid now.]

Below is my review. Maybe it's a harsh one, but when you enter iOS market with high price tag and if as competition you have SmartGo and EasyGo then I can't close my eyes on all bad design decisions made in this app.

Recording games.
As a tool for recording games this app is... broken. But how? Is it really possible? Yes. All is "rather ok" (more below), till you want to enter a variation. Then all the magic happen. Magic of bad design and the ugly true that developer was not testing nor using it's own app.
First: there is no any indication on a board where are the variations, where the next moves are. There is no "a", "b", "c" etc. There are just small screenshots of the board with a variation position right or below a board. Looks nice right? But totally unusable. If you have a game with variations under variations then good luck with that. It's a nightmare to go through it.

Comments are working.
No score estimator. Ok, I can get over it.
Pinch to zoom - works. Good.
Double tap to zoom. Nope. but...

Entering a stones.
...but double tap put a stone - not a bad solution, I thought at first, but after entering one game this way you will pray for ability to do this with just one tap.
Wait, of course you can! No, you can't. It's something different - it's tap and wait. Why I need to wait a second before a stone appear under my finger? You think a second is not that much, right? Wrong. It is the most frustrating thing I found in this app. I want to enter my game or tsumego quickly. I want to touch a screen and a stone should be there instantaneously. Sorry, not here. Here you must wait. Touch, wait, stone will appear. Next move.
So I tried again a double tap to get a stone quickly. But it turns out that it's not that faster... Maybe if you record your tournament game it is ok, but when you want just to explore some variations it is bad solution.

How about creating some tsumego?
So you want to enter all black stones first. Or all white stones. You choose "add a black (white) stone". Then you touch a screen, black stone added, good, but wait, why it changed the way of entering stones back to the normal way (black, white, alternatively). I just want to add all the black stones at once. Ok once more. Nope, it does not work.You want to add a black stone you need to choose "add a black stones" every time you want to do it.
It's a nightmare.

Slider for a fast game viewing.
Slider does not work as it should - you can move a slider but it does not update a board position unless you stop touching screen. And it does not work if your finger moved over the slider even a little. Why?
There is a move number listed but there is no update of it when you use a slider, and it's impossible to get exact place you want at a game.
So this functionality is totally broken.

If you want to change board dimensions you can do it only in settings. You can't just choose new game and then 9x9, 13x13, or 19x19. You need to go to settings...

Image recognition.

I bought this app specially for this functionality, to save my time. I thought it will solve one painful chore which is entering go problems a stone by a stone... Well, it doesn't work at all. First of all: when you load any image it will stretch it, so it will become rather hard for this app to recognize a board and stones. You can't avoid it. Event though you can select only a part of an image it does not help at all. All I get is notification "Cannot recognize Go Games in the image. You may try again by selecting a more accurate area containing the game". Well I just done it before and still does not work. I tried again, and again, and again, only to get this notification almost all the time. Or crash of the app. After a few minutes I was able to get only one or two diagrams this way.
My verdict: this functionality is totally broken. It doesn't work and it crashes the app, and finally when it work it so slow that entering tsumego by hand will be faster. I checked it on iPad1, iPad4, and iPhone4. Slow, buggy, unusable.

Creating kind of book view and pdf.
Works, but you can't define anything (number of moves per diagram, how big diagram should be, etc. - nothing of this). The view is aesthetic, simple and clear, with no annoying textures.
Why I can't turn off textures while recording or viewing a game?

Downloading a games from www.

Works, and looks very nice. This is the only part of the app which is done good. Integration with go4go.net is very nice. You can add other sources too. You get a list of games available to download, you don't need to browse a webpage for any links.

Final words [for version 1.1.5]: if you want only download a games and view them - this app is ok. If you want to do anything more - I suggest to avoid it.

[update: after release of version 1.2.0 I can recommend it as a useful go companion app]

Last edited by lobotommy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 am 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the detailed comments. Some comments might be caused by our lack of detailed helps.

Basically the complaints come from three parts:
1. Quick input of stones.
2. Variations.
3. Image recognition.

For customizing the moves per page, check settings/book mode section.
For indication of variations, you can also toggle auto show variation in settings.
For some quick help and discussion about image recognition, besides the one in our web site. Please see the introduction for image recognition, etc. in: http://www.go4go.net/go/GoEye.

Some suggestions are good and we will adopt in future release. And many of the input issues are small cases to fix. e.g., sticking to black/white stone input mode. The original intention of the author is to insert a stone. But it seems that the user assumes that it is for consecutive inputs. This is good suggestion.

Our app seems to be the only one full fledge SGF viewer/editor for continuous pinch zoom (not counting sente which doesn't support SGF). Pinch is the most intuitive way. This is a technically hard part for other rivals to compete. Double pinch to zoom is an approximation solution introduced by some other apps. This is easily adopted by using similar way to Safari (double pinch to toggle zoom to max/min). So we accept this suggestion while keeping our leading technology for pinch.

Variation display seems to be the hardest part that lobotommy can accept. Please let us know after trying the indiction on first move that having variants. Thanks. For showing thumbnails for variation, we think this is the most intuitive way. You can even long touch the thumbnails to remove one variation like iOS desktop apps (Check out the effect)! Variation will be better with good navigation or labels. Thanks for the comments for us to fix this part in higher priority.

The slider is used fo approximately approach a stage in the game (like 5%, 30%, 89%, 100%), then you can use the +/- button to step to the detailed move you want. Our design is good (except a bug when having no effect when finger is outside. Will fix it).

Image recognition is hard technology and it actually cannot fit many board images. But we keep improving this. The stretching of image doesn't affect the final result. That is just a preview feedback to the user. Usually some boards having special patterns or background may defeat the algorithms. So you may find that a same set of similar images cannot get correct result. Please send us the images for improvements if you are willing to.

The review assumption that "the author has not tested or used their own apps" are not true. Actually the author uses it every day, as a great go fan, and tries to make every detail shine.

The next release will be a big jump to 1.2.0 and many great detailed fixes, e.g., like persisting the web page status, game groups, etc., and MANY others (Keeping more as secrets now). And the price will rise to compete with Smartgo and others, given that we think this is the best app for Go.

Last edited by GoEye2012 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
lobotommy wrote:
Entering a stones.
...but double tap put a stone - not a bad solution, I thought at first, but after entering one game this way you will pray for ability to do this with just one tap.
Wait, of course you can! No, you can't. It's something different - it's tap and wait. Why I need to wait a second before a stone appear under my finger? You think a second is not that much, right? Wrong. It is the most frustrating thing I found in this app. I want to enter my game or tsumego quickly. I want to touch a screen and a stone should be there instantaneously. Sorry, not here. Here you must wait. Touch, wait, stone will appear. Next move.
So I tried again a double tap to get a stone quickly. But it turns out that it's not that faster... Maybe if you record your tournament game it is ok, but when you want just to explore some variations it is bad solution.

lobotommy has a good point here. I'd love to have the ability to put stones with single tap too.

However I can understand the author's original design decision. Before becoming a universal app, earlier versions of Go Eye worked on IPhone only. On small screens and for people with big fingers placing stone can become a problem. The solution here is: when you tap and hold, you can then use finger to drag. The horizontal and vertical lines then guide you to place the stone accurately to the desired position. A delay is needed here because if you drag directly the whole board is moved (interestingly the author has hidden some Go advices behind the board).

Maybe on IPAD this is not quite necessary. But I think it is a bit too harsh to call this a bad design.

Is there any technical reason why single-tap input can not be supported? One reason I can think of is one might accidentally place a stone on the board, but this is not so bad because there is the 'delete' button available next to the board.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:55 am 
Lives in sente

lobotommy wrote:

So you want to enter all black stones first. Or all white stones. You choose "add a black (white) stone". Then you touch a screen, black stone added, good, but wait, why it changed the way of entering stones back to the normal way (black, white, alternatively). I just want to add all the black stones at once. Ok once more. Nope, it does not work.You want to add a black stone you need to choose "add a black stones" every time you want to do it.
It's a nightmare.

I totally agree with lobotommy on this point. Luckily I think this is something really easy to fix.

Related to this point, in the raw SGF generated, I think it is better to use the SGF AB and AW tags to describe the set-up stones.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 am 
Lives in sente

lobotommy wrote:

Recording games.
As a tool for recording games this app is... broken. But how? Is it really possible? Yes. All is "rather ok" (more below), till you want to enter a variation. Then all the magic happen. Magic of bad design and the ugly true that developer was not testing nor using it's own app.
First: there is no any indication on a board where are the variations, where the next moves are. There is no "a", "b", "c" etc. There are just small screenshots of the board with a variation position right or below a board. Looks nice right? But totally unusable. If you have a game with variations under variations then good luck with that. It's a nightmare to go through it.

The support on variations does exist and works quite well. As soon as you tap the board and create a variation, you will notice two dots at the bottom of the panel, indicating a different view is available. Go to the second view you will see thumbnails of separate branches. Tap them to swap to different branches. This might take some time to get used to. I do believe this is an elegant way to present branches. I appreciate many people may be more familiar to tree views (similar to what KGS client does). I hope an option of tree view can be provided in a later release.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 am 
Lives with ko

There is technically no difficulty using single tap (Just one or two lines of change). For iPad, it seems reasonable. But still double tap is good as well. Placing a stone too quickly is a bad habit:) Maybe we will have an option to let user pick in settings.

macelee wrote:

The support on variations does exist and works quite well. As soon as you tap the board and create a variation, you will notice two dots at the bottom of the panel, indicating a different view is available. Go to the second view you will see thumbnails of separate branches. Tap them to swap to different branches. This might take some time to get used to. I do believe this is an elegant way to present branches. I appreciate many people may be more familiar to tree views (similar to what KGS client does). I hope an option of tree view can be provided in a later release.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:10 am 
Lives with ko

macelee wrote:
lobotommy wrote:

It's a nightmare.

I totally agree with lobotommy on this point. Luckily I think this is something really easy to fix.

Related to this point, in the raw SGF generated, I think it is better to use the SGF AB and AW tags to describe the set-up stones.

There are cases when missing a stone at some point after nearly finishing entering a game. Most software just let users to remove all previous stones, which is rather frustrating. So using insertion for this case is better instead of AB/AW for setup stones.

Right now the setup stones are not easily added (An ultimate solution now is to edit the raw sgf text in Go Eye). In the future, there will be an option to switch to add setup stone mode.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:36 am 
Lives in sente

GoEye2012 wrote:

There are cases when missing a stone at some point after nearly finishing entering a game. Most software just let users to remove all previous stones, which is rather frustrating. So using insertion for this case is better instead of AB/AW for setup stones.

Right now the setup stones are not easily added (An ultimate solution now is to edit the raw sgf text in Go Eye). In the future, there will be an option to switch to add setup stone mode.

What you mentioned is a good use case. I think one intermediate solution is to use AB/AW for the first batch of setup stones before any move is played.

Post #20 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 am 
Lives with ko

macelee wrote:
GoEye2012 wrote:

What you mentioned is a good use case. I think one intermediate solution is to use AB/AW for the first batch of setup stones before any move is played.

Good point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next