Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
I've just finished cleaning and sorting my next posting of stones. I hope you enjoy them!

In the past I've offered different prices here and on Ebay, but as of now I'm offering the same pricing for both. However, if you choose to purchase a set here, I'll offer you free shipping in the United States on all stone sets costing more than $120. I'll also offer shipping discounts internationally. I'll also offer shipping discounts on the boards, but can't give a full free shipping unless you live nearby.

For those who are interested, the items ship from Logan, Utah, USA (Zip code 84321)

Here's how I'm describing the stones...

Brand New = New from the box, never been played with. Boxes have been opened for the purpose of photography only.
New = Set has been cleaned and stones look brand new. No missing or chipped stones, no yellowing or discoloration.
Used = Set has been cleaned but stones still have yellowing and/or there are chipped stones in the set (see item description).
Antique = Very old stones. Cleaned but still showing many signs of wear.

Suwabate Clamshell = Native Japanese clamshell (Commonly called Hyuga Clamshell). Very rare.

Aside from the brand new stones, I've cleaned and polished the each individual white stone, and oiled the black.

If you have any questions or have an interest in one of the boards or stone sets, feel free to contact me :)

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Erythen was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: February: New and Used Slate and Shell Sets + Kaya Board
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:46 pm 
Lives with ko

1. Size 25 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
181 White, 182 Black
PLEASE SEE JULY'S LISTINGS
This is a brand new set of 180 white (plus one extra) and 181 Black (plus one extra) sized 25 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

2. Size 25 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$140 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 180 white and 181 Black sized 25 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

3. Size 28 - Snow Grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$200 SOLD
A brand new set of Snow Grade stones. Beautiful fine grain that has never been played with. Snow grade stones are the perfect set for collectors and avid players. Only 10% of the stones produced will ever be of this quality.

4. Size 32 - Standard grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$300 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 180 white and 181 Black sized 32 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain. Sized 32 stones are considered the best overall size for go stones, balancing ease of use, portability and aesthetic appeal on the board.

Furthermore, these stones were made by Mr. Kuroki's business, the finest go shop in all of Japan. Please note that while the box in the picture says "Snow Grade" these stones are indeed Standard Grade.

5. Size 30 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
182 White, 183 Black
This is a brand new set of 180 white (plus two extra) and 181 Black (plus two extra) sized 32 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

Furthermore, these stones were made by Mr. Kuroki's business, the finest go shop in all of Japan.

6. Size 35 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$375 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 180 white and 181 Black sized 25 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 pm 
Lives with ko

7. Sizes 22 -25 - Moon and Snow Grade Suwabate clamshell (Hyuga) (used)
180 White, 182 Black (Please read description)
$160 SOLD

These are some of the legendary Native Japanese clamshell found on the beaches of Miyazaki Prefecture Japan. Clams large enough for stones have all but vanished from Japan's coastlines and stones and are now very rare.

This is a beautiful mixed set of Moon and Snow grade Hyuga stones. The set was rather old and I've put a lot of work into cleaning it. There are 144 Moon/Snow hyuga stones in the set so I've added 36 Standard Grade Hyuga stones or Mexican stones to the set to make up the difference. Since this is a mixed grade set and of different sizes I'm offering the stones at a cheaper price than I normally would. A few of the white stones, and several of the slate have small chips, most hardly noticeable.

As a side note: even Standard Grade Hyuga stones are far nicer than most Snow Grade Mexican stones.

As an added bonus, I'm offering a beautiful set of very well fitted bowls. I don't know what material but I suspect Keyaki. One of the bowls has a thin crack running along both sides while the other has a small crack on one side.

8. 5.5mm - Moon Grade Suwabate clamshell (Hyuga) (used)
180 White, 184 Black (Please read description)
$110 SOLD

These are some of the legendary Native Japanese clamshell found on the beaches of Miyazaki Prefecture Japan. Clams large enough for stones have all but vanished from Japan's coastlines and stones and are now very rare.

I've put these stones through a rather intensive cleaning and restored much of their natural luster. I'm marking them as used because many of the stones have small, but barely noticeable nicks. The black stones are a bit smaller, measuring 5.0mm

As a side note: even Standard Grade Hyuga stones are far nicer than most Snow Grade Mexican stones.

As an added bonus, I'm offering a beautiful set of old, and very well fitted bowls. They're rather old with a listed date of 14.5.27 (May 14th, 27) inside one of the lids. I don't know if the "27" refers to 1927 or Showa Era year 27 (1953)

9. Size 25 - Snow Grade Suwabate clamshell (Hyuga) (used)
180 White, 180 Black (Please read description)

This is an older set of stones that was very dirty when I first received them. I've worked a lot of the yellowing and oils out but they still have some minor discoloration (please see photos). 11 of the White stones have large chips so, as such, I'm offering this set at a larger discount than I normally would.

As an added bonus, I'm including a set of used Keyaki bowls. They're a little large and can easily hold up to size 32 (possibly up to 34) without any difficulty.

10. Size 28 - Snow Grade Suwabate clamshell (Hyuga) (Used)
180 White, 181 Black (Please read description)
$650 SOLD

These stones are gorgeous. I've put a lot of effort into restoring them and they're one of the nicest sets I've had the chance to sell. The set has two chipped stones, but the others are in great shape (please see picture).

As an added bonus, I'm including a set of used but beautiful Keyaki bowls and a Paulownia box. The box was damaged in shipment and I'm in the process of repairing it. The two yellow cloths pictured here are also included.

11. Size 30 - Standard Grade (New)
180 White, 181 Black

A beautiful set of sized 30 standard grade stones. The stones have been cleaned and look like new. There's a few stones in the set I'd classify as Moon or Snow grade but for the most part, the stones are Standard Grade. The black stones are slightly larger at size 33.

The real gems of this set are the bowls. They're beautiful and made chiseled from Marble, not wood. I've been VERY tempted to keep these for myself because they're a quite unique and of a very different design.

12. Size 30 - Standard Grade (New)
180 White, 183 Black
$240 SOLD

A beautiful set of sized 30 standard grade stones in new condition. One of the stones has a chip, but the set is in otherwise such great shape that I'm still marking it as new.

I'm including a set of brand new kaya bowls perfectly fitted for the stones. The bowls are rather special, emanating the soft cinnamon scent and carrying the brilliant color of Kaya. As a side note, the bowls are a much richer yellow than is depicted in the picture.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:48 pm 
Lives with ko

13. Size 25 - Standard Grade (Used)
180 White, 177 Black

A beautiful set of sized 25 standard grade stones in great condition. Two of the stones have a chip and three black stones are missing, but the set is in otherwise such great shape.

I'm including a pair of brand Keyaki bowls. The bowls are rather special, baring the mark of the artisan on the bottom. I'd sell them for a higher price but one of the bowls has a nick on the inside rim.

14. Size 37 - Moon Grade (Used)
171 White, 186 Black

A beautiful set of sized 37 Moon grade stones in great condition. The set is missing 9 white stones but has an additional 5 black.

I'm including a pair of gorgeous bowls. I'm not sure what the material is, though I suspect either well aged Sakura or Karin. The bowls are rather special, baring the mark of the artisan on the bottom. They're very well fitted for the stones.

15. Size 25 - Snow Grade (New)
180 White, 180 Black
$170 SOLD

A beautiful set of sized 25 Snow grade stones new condition. Snow Grade is the highest standard of Mexican stones for collectors.

I'm including a pair of used but gorgeous chestnut bowls well fitted for the set.

16. Mixed sized, mixed grades (Antique)
177 White, 168 Black
$50 SOLD

A compilation of different sizes and qualities, I've assembled this set from spare stones. The sizes typically range from 22 - 32. 60 white stones and 6 black have chips. Most of the stones have a deep yellowing that I can't seem to remove, though they're in better condition now than before. This would make a great set for practice or travel, but I don't recommend it for collectors.

I'm including a pair of well fitted chestnut bowls. The previous owner taped them shut and some of the marking remains around the lids.

17. 5.8mm - Standard Grade (used)
177 White, 171 Black
$65 SOLD

A beautiful set of 5.8mm Standard grade stones. I've restored the original color to the stones. 63 of the white stones have chips so this set would be better for practice and travel rather than a collection.

I'm including a pair of used but gorgeous chestnut bowls well fitted for the set.

18. Size 28 - Standard Grade (new)
180 White, 181 Black

A beautiful set of sized 28 Standard grade stones. The stones are in brilliant, new condition, but in most of them, the grain isn't clear (due to how they were cut from the shell). As such, I'm offering them at a larger discount than I normally would.

19. Mixed stones (Antique)
171 White, 181 Black
$40 SOLD

This is an older set of stones. The white stones appear to have been mixed from two different sets, one very old, the other within the last few decades. There is a lot of orange and yellowing that I could not remove. Many of the stones have chipping (please see the picture). 124 of the black stones are slate; I've added 57 glass stones to the set to make up the difference.

I'm including a pair of used but bowls well fitted for the set. One bowl appears to be old Keyaki with a chestnut lid while the other is chestnut.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:56 pm 
Lives with ko

20. Glass Stones (Used)
180 White, 181 Black
$15 SOLD

This is a set of glass stones I've compiled from different sets. As is common with class, several have chips.

I've included a pair of Chestnut bowls. One of them however has a large crack running down the side.

21. Glass Stones (Used)
180 White, 181 Black
$20 SOLD

This is a set of glass stones from two different sets. As is common with class, several have chips though not as bad as set #20.

This set is more uniform with stones ranging from 7.5 - 8.5 mm

I've included a pair of Chestnut bowls. One of them however has a large crack running down the side.

22. Antique Suwabate (Hyuga) Stones (Antique)
193 White, 180 Black
$70 SOLD

An old set of antique native Japanese stones. Based on the ware I'd date these stones as pre-war. They've taken on an ivory feel and have seen many decades of use. As such, many have chipped and have dark orange spotting (please see the picture). I can't be sure of the grade because of the fading grain, but I suspect these stones were formerly snow grade. Since the white stones have worn down over the years, there's no size given, but for those interested, the black stones measure around 6mm.

I'm including a set of used but well fitted Chestnut bowls.

23. Size 34 Standard Grade (new)
180 White, 181 Black
$320 SOLD

A beautiful set that includes a full 180 standard grade white and 181 black, sized 34 stones.
As an added bonus I'm including a well fitted pair of used but very nice Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. Though used, these are some of the most beautiful keyaki bowls I've seen. They have very nice golden-orange sheen.

24. Size 30 Standard Grade (new)
180 White, 181 Black
$200 SOLD

A beautiful set that includes a full 180 standard grade white and 181 black, sized 30 stones. The set includes several moon and snow grade stones, however the majority are standard grade so I'm pricing it as such.

As an added bonus I'm including a well fitted pair of used but very nice Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls.

25. Size 32 Standard Grade (used)
183 White, 181 Black
$250 SOLD

A beautiful set that includes a full 183 standard grade white and 181 black, sized 32 stones. There is some minor yellowing remaining in the underside of the stones. Sized 32 stones are considered the aesthetic ideal, balancing the look on the board with usability and portability.

As an added bonus I'm including a well fitted pair of used but very nice Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls.

26. Size 35 Standard Grade (new)
180 White, 181 Black
$400 SOLD

A beautiful set that includes a full 180 standard grade white and 181 black, sized 35 stones. Due to the way the stones were cut, the grain is at an odd angle and in many cases hard to see. They are however, in brilliant condition.

As an added bonus I'm including a well fitted pair of used but very nice Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. Though used, these are some of the most beautiful keyaki bowls I've seen. They have very nice golden-orange sheen.

Furthermore, the set includes a paulownia box and two yellow cloth coverings for protection. The box has been signed and stamped by an artisan, and is in brilliant condition.

Last edited by Erythen on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:32 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:25 pm 
Lives with ko

BOWLS

1. Kuri (Chestnut)
Ideal sizes - 36 - 40
$15 SOLD

A nice set of used chestnut bowls. They'd fit sizes 36 - 40 rather well.

2. Kuri (Chestnut)
Ideal sizes 34 - 36
$30 SOLD

One of the nicer used sets of Chestnut bowls I've had. They'd fit sizes 34 - 36 rather well.

3. Keyaki (Zelkova)
Ideal sizes 34 - 36
$70 SOLD

A beautiful set of used Keyaki bowls ideal for sizes 34 - 36. These bowls are used and have some spotting but are nonetheless in gorgeous shape. The artisan's stamp can be found on the bottom of the bowls showing they were carefully hand made.

Last edited by Erythen on Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 pm 
Lives with ko

Boards (Kaya and Katsura)

Kaya, the undisputed kind of Go boards. Its close grain and soft color appeals to the eye and the soft click of stones gently rolls over the ears. Newer Kaya boards emanate a soft, sweet smell that make playing on this wood a true experiance in aesthetics. Old growth Kaya is no longer harvestable in either Japan or China; with these ancient trees now protected by law new material for Kaya boards is becoming ever more scarce.

1. Kaya Floor/Table Board - Kiomote Cut
2.5 Sun
6.2 Sun with legs

This beautiful piece would play well as a floor or table board. To convert from floor to table, just remove the legs. The board has some damage and was unprofessionally repaired at sometime in its past. There's a scrape along the bottom and one of the corners has had some wood filler poorly applied (also on a small crack in the side). Much of the cinnamon smell remains in the wood, but most has dissipated over the years. There are some minor cracks on surface of the board (barely noticeable) and it remains free of warping.

2. Very large Kaya Floor Board - Kiomote Cut
6.5 Sun
10.4 Sun with legs
$275 SOLD

This beautiful piece is very large, by far the largest board I've had a chance to sell. The board was cut from an old tree that had rotted in the center but still made for a good go board. As such there are several knots that have, through the years lead to several cracks throughout the piece. However, the wood does include very unusual and beautiful grain. The surface of the board remains largely free of warping, except over two large knots, both in the corners. These knots will not interfere with the stones however, I've played a game on this board and there were no problems with keeping stones in place. Some of the cinnamon smell remains in the wood, but most has dissipated over the years.

This board has a delightful sound, much nicer than my other Kaya boards. I've put a lot of work in oiling and restoring this board and with proper care it can last many decades to come.

3. Showa Era Kaya Floor Board - Kiomote Cut
4.1 Sun
8.1 Sun with legs
$250 SOLD

This beautiful board is several decades old, dating from the mid-Showa era Japan. This board was very dirty when I first purchased it. I've spent a lot of time cleaning the sides and legs. There is a slight warp on the bottom and some minor cracking on the side. The surface remains warp free and in great playing condition. Some of the cinnamon smell remains in the wood, but most has dissipated over the years.

4. Showa Era Kaya Floor Board - Kiomote Cut
4.0 Sun
7.1 Sun with legs

This beautiful board is several decades old, dating from mid-late Showa era Japan. This piece has been covered in a varnish for protection, something not generally recommended for Go board, but remains gorgeous. There are a few cracks in the sides, please see the pictures. The surface remains warp free and in great playing condition. A large crack on the bottom makes it difficult to keep one of the legs in. Someone in the past has glued the leg, but to no effect. Please see the picture. Some of the cinnamon smell remains in the wood, but most has dissipated over the years.

5. Showa Era Kaya Floor Board - Kiura Cut
4.9 Sun
8.8 Sun with legs
$250 SOLD

This beautiful board is several decades old, dating from Showa era Japan. There is a bit of spotting along the sides and there is a tiny, barely noticeable warp on the surface. This warp will not impact game play at all. There are a few cracks in the sides, please see the pictures.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:48 pm 
Lives with ko

Good afternoon,
I sent you a message and marked the stones as sold. Thank you very much!

Post #9 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:46 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
Universal go server handle: pobe
Online playing schedule: rarely
Hi! Sent a pm about bowls...

Post #10 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:40 pm 
Lives with ko