This post by logan was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Joaz Banbeck

Post subject: Re: Game 2
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
The game was relayed live on OGS, with interesting comments: http://online-go.com/game/508158

This thread is also of relevance for these games: 10 games match Lee Sedol vs Gu Li

Greetz, Tom

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Drew

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
I was fortunate enough to attend the match live today. Chang Hao gave a solid review of the game. The general consensus afterwards was that Gu Li had a nice opening, but played a bit too softly letting Li Sedol take the lead in the middlegame.

After the game when the players were taking questions, Gu Li mentioned that Lee Sedol appears to be getting stronger.

Attachments:
Chang.jpg
Chang.jpg [ 78.35 KiB | Viewed 17872 times ]
Gu and Li.jpg
Gu and Li.jpg [ 70.92 KiB | Viewed 17872 times ]

This post by cdybeijing was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, emeraldemon, ez4u, Joaz Banbeck, Ortho, xed_over

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
I was fortunate enough to attend the match live today.

But where? You have your location as Beijing but I've seen a reference to the location being the Sunlake Hotel in Pinghu - which would be appropriate as the site of the famous Fan-Shi ten-game match.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
I was fortunate enough to attend the match live today.

But where? You have your location as Beijing but I've seen a reference to the location being the Sunlake Hotel in Pinghu - which would be appropriate as the site of the famous Fan-Shi ten-game match.

Yes, the game was played at the Sunlake Hotel in Pinghu. Despite the name, I am currently living in Shanghai and the trip to Zhejiang can be made in under an hour.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Nice! Did you have to pay the reported 10,000 CNY fee to be there?

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51 pm 
Lives in gote

macelee wrote:
Nice! Did you have to pay the reported 10,000 CNY fee to be there?

For 10,000 RMB I would expect to be eating dinner with the players at a pre-game banquet and have access to all the private rooms.

Alas, I can't imagine anyone there in the general audience actually paid an entrance fee. A friend of mine in Shanghai found a contact for one of the organizers from MLily and sent him a WeChat message in advance. He told us he'd give us free tickets on arrival at the hotel so we decided to make a day trip. Most of the spectators were hobbyist go players and small children - not a particularly wealthy crowd.

Perhaps for the games played in Beijing and Shanghai, where demand would be much higher, tickets might be at more of a premium.

This post by cdybeijing was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, macelee

Post #8 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Incidentally, do you know roughly when, in terms of moves, the players went into byo-yomi?

Post #9 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
Does 2-0 mean Gu Li is going to bring the fireworks for Game 3? So far I haven't seen anything extra-ordinary an aggressive approach move maybe to fend off the mini-Chinese, which he didn't like in game 1? There for a moment Lee Sidol played a 3-5 as black which is less common in modern play though I have expected it to be more common for black(where it was previously played by white before komi) to try to destabilize the game to overcome komi, but then he made a shimari for his next move, and the game proceeded to be a tight territorial game.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Of course, since they are playing Chinese rules, the final score was really W+0.5 (or 1/4 zi, as reported on Chinese language sites)

Here's some Chinese commentary from weiqi.sports.tom.com (wishing I could read Chinese now)

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo

Post #11 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Google translate of 31 first moves

First hand: Hello everyone, I'm Jin Tingxian Sec. Lee ancient ten Fanqi second inning, Coulee Kudan Zhihei. In Shoujubisai Lishi Shi Bujin Ying a Qi, Erju Xiachulehao Neirong. Ten Fanqi, whether for Li Shishi first two-game winning streak is very important. If you win today, the ten Fanqi can control the process of

Section 4: White Step hung, Li Shishi under very active today. Black ordinary care is back. Now Coulee long test, it is sufficient to use the ten Fanqi time.

Section 5 Hand: Shishi Coulee hanging on coming ignored, occupy the lower left of the head, but this is a momentum dismount it.

Section 11 Hand: Order now be very smooth disk.

Section 12: White hanging from this direction, some rare. Li Shishi be consistently positive break the routine dismount?

Hand 22: At this point is a fixed-type moves, the next to go under it Black. The first feeling is pushed to a, can also be high all the way b.
Hand 22: The first feeling is a force in the past. (Arnhem Chun)

23 Hand: Coulee go first sense of chess. Next, there are three basic moves, one is a shoulder punch, one directly to the left split two, one b fly.
23 hand: the more slow chess, the more important sequence disk. Because the sequence plate behind, can not help but go unreasonable nature of chess, there is plenty of time to have to drive under good order. In particular, among the game's top players, and even more so. Now, Li Shishi plate in order to invest a lot of time.

The first 26 hands: Li Shishi now evade combat, field earned through compromise.
The first 26 hands: Li Shishi mean, as long as the stability of the chess piece, the right of the thinness Black will be exposed. (Arnhem Chun five paragraphs)

Section 27 Hands: Black This step unexpectedly, under very soft. Black is to draw just get it. Next a Dangxia White, Black on the left pushed b, if the left split two White, Black on bottom c fly into, so Black would be too painful.
Section 27 Hand: This step is not easy to be absurd, go very light, seems to be a good move. This step fully embodies the Coulee strengths. (Arnhem dredging five paragraphs.)

Section 28: White Dangxia this step, it seems that can not be omitted.

The first 29 hands: The next step is to the left of the first sense a jump.
Black left the area look very good. (Arnhem Chun five paragraphs)
Section 29: White has a powerful means to enter after the right of b.

30 Hands: Black sit next ordinary purgation is hanging, White tie pile, Black split two. If the left can also follow the jump Black, White fly on the upper left guard. Black left looks like this is certainly good, but also not bad White upper left.

Hand 31: If so, the next step will be very interested White upper left corner association. Because White is the next Li Shishi, might also be considered a below into account....

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Bonobo

Post #12 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 am 
Oza

Knotwilg wrote:
Google translate of 31 first moves [..]

Post #13 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Knotwilg wrote:

Lee ancient ten Fanqi second inning

"Ancient" btw. is Gu. His first name is Li, which according to my rudimentary Chinese means "power." Thus, his name means "ancient power." Not a bad name for a go player. Is it a pseudonym? In any case, don't count him out!

This post by daal was liked by: Bonobo

Post #14 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:35 pm 
Oza

In this post on FB the Seattle Go Center offers a PDF download of
Quote:
an interesting article on the 2nd game of the Lee Sedol - Gu Li Jubango from the Tygem web site, translated from the Korean by our member Brian Kirby.

http://www.seattlego.org/docs/
Jubango Match 2 – Commentary (Rev 2) (direct link 1.1 MB)

Greetings, Tom

This post by Bonobo was liked by: daal

Post #15 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Kirby wrote:
Among a lot of press, you can see the president, Ni Jang Gun, the President of MLily. (Brian Kirby’s commentary: Where? I just see the back of people’s heads...)

its the back of the head of the really tall guy

Post #16 Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Bonobo wrote:
Jubango Match 2 – Commentary (Rev 2) (direct link 1.1 MB)

Greetings, Tom

When I did read the article I saw that both played on a rather cheap goban. It's a shame. For this series they should play on a rather bold goban - something for the eyes and the tradition.

Also, I wonder if Gu Li will change his attitude and play even more aggressive or if he may have given up already.