It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Big Brother Malkovich registration - sign up here to pla
Post #121 Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
jts wrote:
May I make a strange suggestions? Instead of a penalty in points, why not give each Big Brother a certain amount of time to play; perhaps 90 24-hr byo-yomi periods. Then he has to give up a byo-yomi period to correct a move, and if he runs out then his team has to finish without him.

Rationale: agonizing over corrections speeds up games instead of slowing them down, the value of a correction only needs to be weighed against the value of other corrections, there's less risk of an unsatisfying conclusion where one team has out-foxed the other on the board but owes more points for corrections.

Doesn't that encourage the big brother to correct every move, so long as they do it within 24 hours? I thought the idea was that the younger brothers would play the game, with the big brothers there to correct the most egregious mistakes.

Post #122 Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
skydyr wrote:
jts wrote:
May I make a strange suggestions? Instead of a penalty in points, why not give each Big Brother a certain amount of time to play; perhaps 90 24-hr byo-yomi periods. Then he has to give up a byo-yomi period to correct a move, and if he runs out then his team has to finish without him.

Rationale: agonizing over corrections speeds up games instead of slowing them down, the value of a correction only needs to be weighed against the value of other corrections, there's less risk of an unsatisfying conclusion where one team has out-foxed the other on the board but owes more points for corrections.

Doesn't that encourage the big brother to correct every move, so long as they do it within 24 hours? I thought the idea was that the younger brothers would play the game, with the big brothers there to correct the most egregious mistakes.

What I had in mind was that you get X byo-yomi periods, and give also up one period per correction. So if the Big Brother can make every single move within 24 hours, he can correct X moves; if he needs to use a period in thinking time for every other turn, then he can correct up to X/2 moves; etc.

What it does mean is that if the Big Brother thinks he needs 24 hours just to decide whether the correction is necessary, he might as well correct immediately; which, to my mind, is a good thing, since all of the previous Big Brother games stretched on, and on, and on until one player after another had to be replaced, and finally the games were cancelled.

Post #123 Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
jts wrote:
What I had in mind was that you get X byo-yomi periods, and give also up one period per correction. So if the Big Brother can make every single move within 24 hours, he can correct X moves; if he needs to use a period in thinking time for every other turn, then he can correct up to X/2 moves; etc.

What it does mean is that if the Big Brother thinks he needs 24 hours just to decide whether the correction is necessary, he might as well correct immediately; which, to my mind, is a good thing, since all of the previous Big Brother games stretched on, and on, and on until one player after another had to be replaced, and finally the games were cancelled.

This sounds reasonable, though I'd like the number of periods to be lower than 90.

As a side note, I'd be curious about a game where there big brothers play each other, and the little brothers play each other as well, like a team game, but the big brothers can choose to forsake a move in their own game to make a move in the little brother's game. I don't think we should structure this game that way, however.

Post #124 Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1102
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
skydyr wrote:
Doesn't that encourage the big brother to correct every move, so long as they do it within 24 hours? ...

I agree with this.

I much prefer the 2- or 3-stone penalty. We all have lives in the real world, and sometimes I can play a dozen moves per day. and sometimes not one.

If I had to play within 24 hours, then on a busy day I could miss the most important correction of the game. On days when I had lots of time, I could meddle endlessly, effectively cutting out younger brother.

Post #125 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
I like the idea of charging points for corrections because it means that every move must be considered for correction, but also ensures that corrections are only made when it's really necessary. The only problem I see is that the appropriate cost is going to vary throughout the game. If the game lasts until endgame it seems likely that a lot of our mistakes could end up being 3 points or less and yet still very significant.

Post #126 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 10
KGS: DragonPie
I'm good with whatever.

I'll try to come on once a day. If within a pretty quick look, I can't tell that my younger bro made a mistake, I'll assume that the move is reasonable enough.

Either way, at the end of the game, the players will have some comments even if we choose to not change a move.

Post #127 Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:17 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 3
KGS: uriel/ross
I'm new to these forums, but I would be interested in participating in a Big Brother Malkovich game if someone's looking for a partner.

Post #128 Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Online playing schedule: after school
may I please join

Post #129 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:53 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 17
Universal go server handle: tegais
I'd like to try either Big Brother or Rengo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7