It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kaya is dead, long live ☯GS
Post #21 Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bonobo wrote:
ROTFL OK forget it :-D

I just happened to stumble over this board/subforum and thought that it was odd that it still existed as separate board (perhaps we could have a graveyard board where all this obsolete stuff can rest in peace, as “read only”?) and since I’m all aflame about OGS, well, you know how irrational people in love can be ;-)

Cordially, Tom

It (the subforum) may not have widespread support, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing.

Post #22 Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
One reason that there might be less demand for an OGS forum is that they run their own forum and have a support website. It's not to my taste but it presumably is where many users go.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
☯GS has a new forum now … took a little time for me to like it because it is very “modern”, but meanwhile I appreciate how it works.

Also … tadaa, public beta test of the new OGS: http://forums.online-go.com/t/help-us-b ... of-ogs/142

Nice opportunity for everybody to help making ☯GS even better—expressing critique is a good thing if something can be improved, but active cooperation on improving something is much more satisfying :-)

Cordially, Tom

Post #24 Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
I support keeping this board open as sort of a reminder if the Kaya creator ever visits here.

He took tens of thousands of dollars in donations, and he didn't even open the source before he disappeared. You would assume that everyone who supported him deserved at least that.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:59 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Bonobo, why do you keep calling it GS. OGS is its name. (Or I sometimes call it nova OGS if I want to distinguish it from old OGS.)

Last edited by Uberdude on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #26 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 am 
Tengen

Looks like you can't see the unicode character he's using. I see it as a yin yang symbol.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Bonobo

Post #27 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:24 am 
Oza

Uberdude wrote:
Bonobo, why do you keep calling it GS. OGS is it's name. (Or I sometimes call it nova OGS if I want to distinguish it from old OGS.)
Uhm … I’m using an Unicode character (Yin Yang, U+262F, UTF-8 E2 98 AF) … is it not showing everywhere? :shock:

Attachment:
OGS thread.jpg
OGS thread.jpg [ 32.93 KiB | Viewed 18188 times ]

Greetings, Tom

<edit>

Could it be platform dependent (because of different fonts installed per default)? I use OS X …

</edit>

Post #28 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Bonobo wrote:
<edit>

Could it be platform dependent (because of different fonts installed per default)? I use OS X …

</edit>

I can see it on Ubuntu.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Bonobo

Post #29 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:32 am 
Oza

HermanHiddema wrote:
I can see it on Ubuntu.

Thanks, Herman :-)

But I think if not everybody can see this I should prolly quite writing it that way <sniff>

Greetz, and thanks to Uberdude for making me aware of the problem.

Tom

<edit>

(changed the opening post)

</edit>

<edit 2>

wbt ♥GS … can you see the heart symbol before “GS”?

</edit 2>

Post subject: Re: Kaya is dead, long live OGS
Post #30 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
I see it just fine - Windows 7

This post by quantumf was liked by: Bonobo

Post #31 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Ah, I can see it now on my desktop (Win XP) but not my phone (Samsung S3 Android 4.3)

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #32 Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
badukJr wrote:
I support keeping this board open as sort of a reminder if the Kaya creator ever visits here.

He took tens of thousands of dollars in donations, and he didn't even open the source before he disappeared. You would assume that everyone who supported him deserved at least that.

I am not surprised that Kaya went quietly to its death without so much as a source release. From the first, limited release it was clear that the developer(s) were building what they wanted to build without any care to what the community wanted.

The fact that they took money for it and gave us nothing is dishonest. I didn't give them money. In a way, they were quite ahead of their time; they pulled a Kickstarter before Kickstarter was a thing: disguising a blatant hand-out as an investment or pre-order.

Post #33 Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 pm 
Lives with ko

The worst part is I've heard he took a nice job in California making quite a lot of money, he could at least return some of it.

When our community is so small, something like that sucks us dry and sets us back in time as well.

Post #34 Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
I sunk a couple hundred dollars into Kaya.gs despite the fact that I planned not to log on much until it gained a good user base.

I do not regret it. The lesson I re-learned was worth it: People who love go would not act the way that the founders of Kaya did. They probably loved what go does for their ego, not go itself. In the end, I was a sucker for not realizing that Kaya was just a vanity project. I don't hold ill will against the founders of Kaya. They didn't trick me at all. In retrospect, I ignored all the warning signs that were there (in blinking neon) from the beginning.

Have we been set back? Perhaps. By a lot? I think not. Programming a go server is not exactly rocket science. An intelligent comp sci undergraduate student could write a full-feature go server in one month. I doubt that we lost much because Kaya's founders did not release the source code. The lesson learned from the fiasco is more valuable than any bits of Kaya source code.

That said, I did find their illegal (at times) broadcasting of Baduk TV streams to be offensive. That was not cool when Gogameguru.com was working hard to get a legal BadukTV streaming business off the ground. That was the only thing that really pissed me off about Kaya.

This post by lemmata was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Bonobo

Post #35 Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
lemmata wrote:
An intelligent comp sci undergraduate student could write a full-feature go server in one month.

Wow... this is REALLY not true...

Post #36 Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
oren wrote:
lemmata wrote:
An intelligent comp sci undergraduate student could write a full-feature go server in one month.
Wow... this is REALLY not true...

They used to a lot harder things than that in one month back when I went to school. Before I switched full-time to more math-y stuff, I audited a graduate-level class devoted to just network programming (protocols, servers, peer-to-peer, blah-blah-blah). Half of the class consisted of undergrads who were actually enrolled (not auditing like me). For the course project, one guy made a somewhat primitive 3D FPS game+server. This took a little more than two months as I recall, but he had to take other classes while doing this so I doubt that he spent a full month on it.

So yeah, it's not as crazy as it might seem to think this.

EDIT: Of course, "full-feature" does not mean bug-free or even visually pleasing.

Post #37 Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:00 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 33
Universal go server handle: dfunkt
lemmata wrote:
EDIT: Of course, "full-feature" does not mean bug-free or even visually pleasing.

It also depends on what you mean by full-feature. Some developers feel full featured means it uses the latest programming techniques as opposed to actually making go playing features that are useful to players.

Post #38 Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:14 am 
Tengen

http://www.yosefk.com/blog/low-level-is-easy.html

I'll just leave this here for y'all. :twisted:

This post by hyperpape was liked by 2 people: ez4u, tapir

Post #39 Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
I have absolutely no doubt that an intelligent undergrad could build 'a go server' in under a month. Heck, a brilliant 13-year-old could have one going in a week of all-nighters - complete with secret keyboard shortcut to change the mouse pointer into something obscene.

However, when embarking on a project, you need to build for longevity. This does not mean that you need to incorporate a million forward-thinking ideas like Facebook integration, live videos accompanying game broadcasts, Karma and revolutionary new challenge mechanisms. Similarly, longevity is not a magic byproduct of modern technologies and frameworks.

A grad. student or prodigy would NOT achieve longevity in a month. They might build a 'working' server and be able to demonstrate it in a University lab or on a projector but it would be a proof of concept only - it would illuminate the battlefield and reveal some of the 'unknown unknowns' that might be relevant to a properly planned Go server. I have my doubts that they'd be able to achieve true longevity in a whole year, let alone a month, simply because they would have little experience building long lived projects.

A more interesting question is this: could a brilliant, experienced, old-hand write a Go server in a month?

Full time? (Let's be mythical and redefine 'month' to be "160 man-hours"?)

Not a proof of concept? (That is, after the first month and the first release, he/she could then continue iterating and adding functionality & features?)

Post #40 Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm 
Lives with ko

I have visited a few websites where the layout was extremely similar to kaya, the elements and sliding things to bug you. Same size, font etc. They weren't related to go.
I think a lot of kaya was built from some template or website-in-a-box so you will never see the source released.